Uni' essays

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Just wondering what's the latest people have had to stay up to get an essay done? Looks like I could be doing this one until the cows come home. In my defense I've only had a year to do it...

I've had several cups of coffee and a can of red bull. I've also got a packet of skittles in reserve.

I'm also regretting not doing the hardest subjects first.

To make it worse it's also the annual pub crawl.

:(

Commander Harris

I've done a 3000 word essay on the day it was due before , starting at 9am. No need for all-nighters. :P

Carl Weathers
6-7am

Mech Eng lab reports. Bah!

I've got until 5pm tomorrow, so I'll probably get to bed at latest 1am and up again at 7am (if I can sleep). If the box doesn't get emptied I've got until 9pm, when the Campus closes.

Carl Weathers
I've done a 3000 word essay on the day it was due before , starting at 9am. No need for all-nighters. :P

My problem is I really need to know what I'm talking about and I don't - hopefully the other 11 essays will get me through.

:sad:

Me and 2 others did a 3000 word one in 2.5 hours:eek:

Bad move tbh.

Carl, whats it on?

Commander Harris

Bad move tbh.

Carl, whats it on?

yup, mine was a 12 o'clock deadline so 3 hours. was going a bit mental tbh. :D

Carl Weathers

Bad move tbh.

Carl, whats it on?

I've been on placement for a year and this is my Learning Portfolio. It's made up of 12 learning outcomes, a diary and a portfolio of evidence. I stopped writing the diary in January and still have two essays to finish off. I'll probably be okay now but a couple of the outcomes aren't the best.

Still have all the referencing to do and need to add more examples etc - all the usual keek.

Unfortunately this will make up at least a quarter of my final honours classification.

Tbf, I'm in a better position than the majority of my mates. Annoyingly, that doesn't make me feel any better.

Just wondering what's the latest people have had to stay up to get an essay done? Looks like I could be doing this one until the cows come home. In my defense I've only had a year to do it...

I've had several cups of coffee and a can of red bull. I've also got a packet of skittles in reserve.

June 2007. I got up at 7 am on a Tuesday, went about my business including a day's work, and then sat down at 7 pm to write an essay on the potential for taking innovation strategies developed in the mobile telecommunications business and applying them in the public sector. :eek:

I finished at 5 am on the Wednesday, had a shower, got dressed, packed a bag, drove 180 miles from Dublin to Donegal, handed in my essay, and spent the day in class. After classes I went for a couple of pints with my classmates, went out to dinner, and then went drinking in our hotel bar, retiring to my bedroom at 5:10 am to be ready for a 9 am start on the Thursday.

I got 69% for the essay. The *******s wouldn't even give me the one lousy mark extra so I could get a gold star. :th_Rage2:

'nall 'nanyways, that was the worst one for me.

Carl Weathers
yup, mine was a 12 o'clock deadline so 3 hours. was going a bit mental tbh. :D

Some people need to get a sweat on before they produce their finest work.

I do my best stuff at like 2-3am!

Most creative around then for some annoying reason.

Commander Harris

definitely. I'd need the threat of a deadline to get me going but once it was looming and there was no other choice I'd come out with some genius stuff! (even if I say so myself :D)

Done many an all-nighter. As with you guys, I need the deadline to spur me on and get the creative juices going.

The worst I had wasn't even for my own essay. It was the girlfriend's. She'd spent many days working on one about The Crusades and finally got it finished at 1am the night before it was due. Unfortunately she wasn't a fan of computers so had written it all out on paper.

At that point I stumbled in the door, higher than Howard Marks. I was full of energy so offered to type it up for her while she went to sleep (she had another one due two days later IIRC so needed a kip).

I could barely focus, let alone concentrate but it needed to be submitted at 9am so I got to work.

Cue the longest 7 hours of my life.

After typing a sentence I had to read through it again, correct the numerous mistakes, insert missing words and remove duplicates. I continuously skipped lines and often missed out whole paragraphs. It was like swimming through treacle but i battled on through a whole pack of Golden Virginia and 2litres of Irn Bru.

I finally finished at 8am which left almost an hour for the girlfriend to check it over and correct the multitude of errors. She went off to hand it in while I collapsed on the bed and died a small death.

Never again!

The closer to due date/deadline time I start, the better my essays usually are. When I've got an Open Uni essay due in, it's not unusual for me to be finishing it off at 4am the day before it's due.

Coca-cola, Cadbury's chocolate fingers as I go along with a tea and a cheese-on-toast break half way through the night. Never let me down.

monkfish1979

Meh, it's the only way to do it. We used to pull all nighters and meet up at the 24 hour Tescos on Colinton road at about 4a.m. to photocopy our musical examples into our essays. They had a security guard called Apollo. He's a legend.

Lectures the next day were horrible, mind....

The People's Chimp

Finished at 9.50 and handed it into class at 10. Agree with all that's been said about pressure, deadlines and it being late at night.

Prior to the impending deadline i'd either be on JKB, sending mass forward emails (remember those days) or even constructing a rant on the old hearts topica mailing list. That's if i'd gone into uni in the first place.

Pretty every essay anyone seems to do is copy/paste then paraphrase. Shouldn't need to stay up late!

I do remember thinking 1,500 words was a big essay.

Started a 3000 word at 8am finished by around 12. handed it in on time for 1pm. :cool:

Ive done all nighters before though, working right through till lunchtime the next day even. Infact I prefered to leave it til last minute, my best work came when I was under pressure.

Dr. Bapswent

Everyone on this thread, who has ever done an essay is totally ace.

My advice is not to spend your time on KB and get it done....

My problem is I really need to know what I'm talking about and I don't - hopefully the other 11 essays will get me through.

The box WILL be emptied at 5pm, if that is the deadline.

Trust me...

heartsfc_fan

I've stayed up all night and not (finally) went to bed till 1:30 in the afternoon. Not good!

Only to wake up at 7pm, get my tea and go out and get drunk :) can't be healthy ;)

Carl Weathers
The box WILL be emptied at 5pm, if that is the deadline.

Trust me...

I got an email saying it was due in for today but it didn't have a time on it.

Commander Harris
Everyone on this thread, who has ever done an essay is totally ace.

thanks, I think so too :)

:P

I did pretty much all of my dissertation in 2 days.

Probably the most stressed I've ever been.

When I started at 7am on Wednesday I had about 1000 words down in the literature review, and hadn't done any market research.

I started by posting a questionnaire on kickback and whilst waiting for the responses, I finished the literature review, did the introduction and a summary of the state of the health and fitness industry.

In the afternoon/evening I put all the data from the questionnaires into spreadsheets and made up some fancy graphs and started analysing the data.

I went to bed around midnight and got up at 7am to start again, I did three telephone interviews with people within the industry, tying transcripts as I went, (which went in the appendix) then finished off analysing the data/interviews and writing up the main body of the text and the conclusions.

I went in to uni the next day and did the title page and contents page etc and handed it in with around two hours to spare.

By lunchtime I was on the train to Newcastle with 14 of my mates, beer in hand.

Best feeling ever. What a weekend as well!

Johanes de Silentio

It's all very well for the geniuses who can write essays in one sitting - good on them!

Most of us need a good bit longer.

Start at least a week/10 days/even a fortnight before it's due.

If you leave it until the last minute, you may struggle to get the reading material.

Starting early also helps with avoiding the stress, which can be a killer.

I spent MONTHS on my Dissertation. (Glad I did!)

The other thing about writing stuff too close to the deadline is that IF SOMETHING CAN GO WRONG, THEN IT PROBABLY WILL! (e.g. printing problems, PC problems, email problems, running out of ink/paper, etc!)

For the entire 4 years of my Degree, my sleeping habits were all over the shop - sleep whenever you can, man!

I also did my best work in the wee small hours when it's quiet.

Stick in - you'll be glad you did - it was always gonnae be hard work - they don't hand out degrees for nothing!

Al.

Commander Harris
I wrote a 200,000,000 word essay in 45 minutes, while driving once.

I win.

I did my final year project in 10 minutes while standing on my head, so there!

Carl Spackler

Finished my Final Year dissertation on some nonsense subject I couldn't even tell you the title of now in around 26 hours straight.

Passed somehow.

Still look back now and think I was a lazy little s%$t who should have stayed out of the pub and finished it sooner.

Dr. Bapswent
I did my final year project in 10 minutes while standing on my head, so there!

I wrote 2 Dissertations, 1 for someone else on a subject I didn't even know anything about the other was on applied mathematics and needed loads ay graphs n' that, with my eyes shut while i was on the phone.

And it was dead easy.

Far far far too many all nighters. My excuse was that I worked better under pressure....pfft... :rolleyes:

Dissertation was definitely the worst, think I had about 4-5 hours sleep over the course of the 3 days (and nights) before it was due to be handed in. Needless to say, I wasn't one of those who went straight to the pub once it was safely handed in.... I could barely see by that point. Eek. I don't miss that stuff one wee bit.

I didn't have to do a dissertation because I did joint honours... :rolleyes:

I'm doing joint honours and I still have to do a 10,000 worder.

Carl Weathers
Surely 20 minutes doesn't matter?

Okay, it was 25mins.

(and I still had a spot of referencing to do).

Okay, it was 25mins.

(and I still had a spot of referencing to do).

Ah.

OK.

Don't worry, it'll all be fine dude!

(Is that what you wanted to hear? Was that right?)

Carl Weathers
Ah.

OK.

Don't worry, it'll all be fine dude!

(Is that what you wanted to hear? Was that right?)

That's the one.

I'll have to console myself by getting out of my coco tomorrow night.

Coward.

Try a thesis.

Hehehe

You may be right. I could have if i'd wanted too...but I thought I'd thrive under exam conditions. :rolleyes:

At least you've got word processors etc . In my day we had to use pen and ink (or quills if you were doing accountancy). If you spelt a word incorrectly you had to do the whole thing again. Kids today etc etc etc....;)

At least you've got word processors etc . In my day we had to use pen and ink (or quills if you were doing accountancy). If you spelt a word incorrectly you had to do the whole thing again. Kids today etc etc etc....;)

You could have had yours typed up!

Jimmy McNulty

A friend of mine, when struggling with with a deadline, would do the following. he would hand in the first 10 pages, and the last 3 pages, with a number of pages missing.

The profs always assumed that pages had gone missing when stapling the doc together. The reality was that he hadnt actually written those 4 pages. By the time the profs contacted him to ask him for the pages -- assuming an honest mistake -- he had gotten them done.

Ray Winstone

I have stayed up until 5am on the morning it was due and got a flatmate to take it in with his for the 12pm deadline while I slept for the day!

Mind you 3rd year should be easier - 6 hour weeks and my essays are not due till the end of this term (only got 2) Both for 5000 words and then no exams at xmas!

Its all good.

I rocked a few all nighters, but the worst was my dissertation. Up till three, then back up at six to polish it off. Got it printed and bound in William Street at nine, then ran like feck to hand it in before ten. 68 percent. *****.

Now, 500 words in an hour seems like a luxury. Think I've got addicted to that rush.

Archived