Kevin Thomson Rangers

Forwards

Kris Boyd Rangers

David Clarkson Motherwell

Steven Fletcher Hibernian

Chris Iwelumo Wolverhampton Wanderers

James McFadden Birmingham City

Kenny Miller Rangers

Just shows you how few decent full backs there are in Scotland with McAllister and Broadfoot in the squad. Having said that I would take Jamie Mac back here ahead of Lee Wallace

McAllister is a strange one. no better than McEveley.

Weir is a no-brainer. Iwelumo is bang in form and O'Connor misses out so no a bad decision though I'd have liked to have seen Ross McCormack in the squad.

:eek::eek:

Gordon (Sunderland), McGregor (Rangers), Marshall (Norwich); Alexander (Burnley), Barr (Falkirk), Berra (Hearts), Broadfoot (Rangers), Caldwell (Celtic), McAllister (Bristol City), Naysmith (Sheffield United), Weir (Rangers); Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Celtic), Maloney (Celtic), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Celtic), Thomson (Rangers); Boyd (Rangers), Clarkson (Motherwell), Fletcher (Hibernian), Iwelumo (Wolves), McFadden (Birmingham City), Miller (Rangers)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7648194.stm

Gavsy Van Gaverson
:eek::eek:

Gordon (Sunderland), McGregor (Rangers), Marshall (Norwich); Alexander (Burnley), Barr (Falkirk), Berra (Hearts), Broadfoot (Rangers), Caldwell (Celtic), McAllister (Bristol City), Naysmith (Sheffield United), Weir (Rangers); Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Celtic), Maloney (Celtic), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Celtic), Thomson (Rangers); Boyd (Rangers), Clarkson (Motherwell), Fletcher (Hibernian), Iwelumo (Wolves), McFadden (Birmingham City), Miller (Rangers)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7648194.stm

Just goes to show that players can actually improve when they leave Hearts.

I think it actually proves nothing other than if the gaffer likes you ... you get a chance...I mean davie weir? ffs why is he still getting a game ahead of other young scottish players.

Absolute farce, I really hope he proves me wrong but just cant see it. Burley has some strange selections in that squad and its making me think that his 2 months of fame at Tynie was just a little bit on the lucky side!!!

I believe Clum is expecting a call for the next International if he continues to score like he has been for Livi!!!

MonkeyHeidHater
Rangers veteran David Weir is the obvious choice to replace McManus and partner Gary Caldwell at the heart of the Scotland defence and will be a candidate to lead the team.

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher would appear to be the only other contender for the skipper's armband.

Or Craig Gordon? He was a no bad captain at Hearts I think?

Jamie has had a cracking last 2 seasons. I watch the championship extended highlight everyweek and he is pretty solid.

McAllister is a strange one. no better than McEveley.

Weir is a no-brainer. Iwelumo is bang in form and O'Connor misses out so no a bad decision though I'd have liked to have seen Ross McCormack in the squad.

Agree about Weir, we've lost a relatively experinced centre back in McManus and we need Weir given that Berra and Barr are the back up that may be called upon!

I said in the Broadfoot thread last month that as a nation we were caught between a rock and a hard place in regards to full backs. Whilst we have the injuries we do and the lack of options we just have to make do with what we have. Jamie Mac has been pretty solid recently without setting the heather on fire.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I think it actually proves nothing other than if the gaffer likes you ... you get a chance...I mean davie weir? ffs why is he still getting a game ahead of other young scottish players.

Who would you play in our next game remembering that McManus is suspended?

Who would you play in our next game remembering that McManus is suspended?

Let's face it, Weir is the only choice.

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but ....... no Stewart??? :mad:

By far our best player this season, and the obvious choice to slip into Fergus'huns' role while he is injured.

Have Brown and Fletcher ever played well for Scotland?? They were both the worst performers in the last two games.

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but ....... no Stewart??? :mad:

By far our best player this season, and the obvious choice to slip into Fergus'huns' role while he is injured.

Have Brown and Fletcher ever played well for Scotland?? They were both the worst performers in the last two games.

Brown's been superb for Scotland. Fletcher has as well most of the time though he was honking in the last two games.

I do agree Stewart is unlucky to miss out.

The People's Chimp
Just shows you how few decent full backs there are in Scotland with McAllister and Broadfoot in the squad. Having said that I would take Jamie Mac back here ahead of Lee Wallace

Which brings us back onto a point seldom answered on here:

Who in the SPL is a better right back then robbie neilson?

And re: mccallister, burley got some good games out of him.

We_are_the_Hearts

And re: mccallister, burley got some good games out of him.

Wilson, Hinkel and Broadfoot are the only decent right backs in the league............IMO.

Wilson, Hinkel and Broadfoot are the only decent right backs in the league............IMO.

They're all ****e.

Aye OK then.

Broadfoot's a centre back playing at right back, and it shows.

Wilson is very limited. He's pretty solid defensively, but doesn't offer much going forward.

I refuse to believe that you've seen Hinkel play for the Dhims. You're saying that he's good because of his supposed pedigree, but he's been terrible since going to the Dhims. Even their fans don't rate him.

We_are_the_Hearts
Broadfoot's a centre back playing at right back, and it shows.

Wilson is very limited. He's pretty solid defensively, but doesn't offer much going forward.

I refuse to believe that you've seen Hinkel play for the Dhims. You're saying that he's good because of his supposed pedigree, but he's been terrible since going to the Dhims. Even their fans don't rate him.

I never said they were great but they are not *****. Broadfoot has looked really good this season for club and country. Good engine and is improving all the time.

Wilson has suffered from being in and out the team and also swapping positions. He is good defensively as you say.

Hinkel is a good player going forward and defensively. His lack of pace is why he is playing in the SPL and is only a squad member for the German national team.

I'm glad that Burley seems to be looking quite a bit down in England. The Championship is quite a tough league and he seems to be bringing in a few players from there so they should hopefully do quite well for us.

Sheriff Fatman

Scotland probably want an unofficial spokesman that they can plausibly deny, that seemed to be his best role at Hearts under Burley.

The People's Chimp

Wilson, yeah, he's a good player. Hinkel has been gettin some dodgy reviews.

broadfoot, well he's a mixed bag, sometimes woeful, but also does a job...

the full squad

Defenders

Graham Alexander Burnley

Darren Barr Falkirk

Christophe Berra Hearts

Kirk Broadfoot Rangers

Gary Caldwell Celtic

Jamie McAllister Bristol City

Gary Naysmith Sheffield United

David Weir Rangers

Gordon Smith should be cringing with embarrassment.

UEFA are gonna increase to 24 the teams for the UEFA Championships.

And crap like that are gonna get the benefit ?!?!

Seymour M Hersh
wouldn't mind jamie mcallister playing left back for us right now

I would. Useless heap of poop. Sold the semi against Motherwell at fester road. What short memories football fans have.

Nelly Terraces

What have Scotland got that's any better? Answer - nobody.

We are a dreadful footballing country where skill levels are way below the rest of Europe, and beyond, relying solely on 'hard work' and 'fight' with little or no attention paid to playing decent football in the way the rest of our counterparts do.

Get over it, crap players produced from a joke system with the dolts at the SFA in charge. Hardly breaking news is it.

Guest jambomickey
I would. Useless heap of poop. Sold the semi against Motherwell at fester road. What short memories football fans have.

i'm not saying he's a great player mate! what i'm saying is i'd rather him than wallace

alwaysthereinspirit
the full squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon Sunderland

Allan McGregor Rangers

David Marshall Norwich City

Defenders

Graham Alexander Burnley

Darren Barr Falkirk

Christophe Berra Hearts

Kirk Broadfoot Rangers

Gary Caldwell Celtic

David Weir Rangers

Midfielders

Scott Brown Celtic

Kris Commons Derby County

Darren Fletcher Manchester United

Paul Hartley Celtic

Shaun Maloney Celtic

James Morrison West Bromwich Albion

Barry Robson Celtic

Kevin Thomson Rangers

Forwards

Kris Boyd Rangers

Kenny Miller Rangers

Alexander not named as a goalie. Absolute disgrace.:P

What a total joke. It's a continuation of poor decisions that Burley has taken since he's been in charge.

If McAllister is the best we can do, we might as well give up now.

What a total joke. It's a continuation of poor decisions that Burley has taken since he's been in charge.

If McAllister is the best we can do, we might as well give up now.

What poor decisions? He got slaughtered for picking Broadfoot and that turned out no bad. I think the media agenda is starting to pay off to be honest.

Having said that I think Mcallister is a poor choice.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Burley has seen far more of McAllister in the past 2 seasons than any poster on this thread condemming him.

Any Bristol City fans who wish to disagree feel free.

Smoked-Glass

no michael stewart in it either. Neil McCann has impressed since the start of the season. Amazingly he's managed to do more in a few games for falkrk than he did from jan 2006 - may 2008:eek: He may get considered again if he keeps it up but he'll probably just get injured again.

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon Sunderland

Allan McGregor Rangers

Defenders

Graham Alexander Burnley

Darren Barr Falkirk

Christophe Berra Hearts

Kirk Broadfoot Rangers

Gary Caldwell Celtic

David Weir Rangers

Midfielders

Scott Brown Celtic

Paul Hartley Celtic

Shaun Maloney Celtic

Barry Robson Celtic

Kevin Thomson Rangers

Forwards

Kris Boyd Rangers

Kenny Miller Rangers

beat it, GTF

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon Sunderland

Allan McGregor Rangers

Defenders

Graham Alexander Burnley

Darren Barr Falkirk

Christophe Berra Hearts

Kirk Broadfoot Rangers

Gary Caldwell Celtic

David Weir Rangers

Midfielders

Scott Brown Celtic

Paul Hartley Celtic

Shaun Maloney Celtic

Barry Robson Celtic

Kevin Thomson Rangers

Forwards

Kris Boyd Rangers

Kenny Miller Rangers

beat it, GTF

I disagree with all your highlighted choices bar Jamie McAllister. And I don't particularly rate Naysmith, but we have few who are better.

As there are 12 teams in the SPL - I would say there are therefore 12 better right backs than Neilson! ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Burley has seen far more of McAllister in the past 2 seasons than any poster on this thread condemming him.

Any Bristol City fans who wish to disagree feel free.

Burley obviously liked McAllister when he was at Tynie. He even played him out of position on occasion in a very strong side.

I have no problems with McAllister in the squad. A solid pro.

Seems odd that Burley has picked the reserve Rangers GK over the first pick...I thought current form was meant to be the reason a player got into NT squads. If so where are Alexander and Stewart?

Archived