Aegon

footieman

Following on from the Chathams thread on the terrace. It seems that there will be a fair few redundancies announced at Aegon tomorrow, I think one of the directors could have left already this afternoon. I wonder if this will effect their tie-up with Hearts or if its just the company streamlining to get themselves through the crunch. :(

CEO announced today that Aegon was financially solid and had no liquidity problems. He also announced a new joint venture to expand Aegons business in Brazil.

Either they are OK or the CEO is telling porkies.

coppercrutch
CEO announced today that Aegon was financially solid and had no liquidity problems. He also announced a new joint venture to expand Aegons business in Brazil.

Vote of confidence...

Vote of confidence...

Exactly, with the state of fear at the moment he would have been aswell saying " were rubber ducked ".

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aegon's strategy is to expand into developing markets at the expense of mature markets so there is no dichotomy in the statement.

Aegon's strategy is to expand into developing markets at the expense of mature markets so there is no dichotomy in the statement.

Agreed, it would appear to be a standard statement in response to the sort of question almost every CEO is being asked at the moment.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Following on from the Chathams thread on the terrace. It seems that there will be a fair few redundancies announced at Aegon tomorrow, I think one of the directors could have left already this afternoon. I wonder if this will effect their tie-up with Hearts or if its just the company streamlining to get themselves through the crunch. :(

I had an unsubstantiated rumour in my inbox that my old area was closing but the time difference means I can't find out. However, the tie-up with Hearts won't be on the chopping block. I was on the charity committee and I know that the breakfast club doesn't cost Aegon a lot of cash and indeed increases its public awareness in Edinburgh.

That sounds like what i've heard, two sides of the company are merging, no doubt getting a fancy new name, am not sure how far down the tree the job losses are going but as I said I believe one of the top guys left their position yesterday.

Am glad you reckon it wont effect their tie-up with Hearts though Geoff, as I think these kind of off the field initiatives are one of the best things to come out of the Romanov era so far.

marshallschunkychicken

Corporate and Individual are merging, to form Life and Pensions.

Corporate MD going to be head of Marketing.

Individual MD left the company.

Advertising externally for a new Head of Customer Services (encompassing Life and Pensions).

To be confirmed on intranet at 10 this morning.

I think its a bit more streamlining than anything else, but I'd say the merger would involve potential reduction in roles where there is duplication between corporate and individual.

They just been announced as the new sponsor of British tennis - taking over from Stella. So they can't be doing too badly.

Assurance and pensions company Aegon has announced a deal which will see it become the first lead partner of British tennis with the launch of a commercial programme which will begin early next summer.

The five year deal will see the company become involved in promoting the sport through out schools as well as in parks and schools programmes.

Events will include the Aegon Championship at the Queen?s Club in London, the Aegon International in Devonshire Park and the Aegon Classic to be held in the Priory Club.

Otto Thoresen, Aegon?s UK chief executive said; ?British Tennis is at a breakthrough stage in its development and it is a very exciting time to be involved in the sport. AEGON is delighted to become the Lead Partner of British Tennis and our investment over the next five years will enable the sport to grow from grassroots level, encouraging more young people to take up the sport, through to elite performance level, where we can support our leading athletes as they seek to make an impression on the world stage.?

?We see a number of similarities between British Tennis and AEGON as we look to take our UK business on to a new phase of growth. It?s a strong partnership and we?re looking forward to being a part of it.?

Steve Clode, marketing director of Aegon UK, said; "As the Lead Partner of British Tennis, AEGON has an exceptional opportunity to develop our brand in the UK market. People of all ages enjoy tennis, and it's one of the country's most exciting and fast growing sports. We're delighted to have secured the sponsorship - it's a significant step forward in our brand strategy."

Aegon has also just announced that it has appointed The Leith Agency as its lead marketing agency.

portobellojambo1

I can confirm that following a merger of Individual and Group (Corporate) Business, there have been a total reduction in staff numbers of 3 (through duplication of roles), two of whom are not based in Edinburgh. There has not been an announcment of widespread redundancies.

This was done to streamline the Customer Services Division

AEGON just in the last couple of days has expanded its business in South America, has actually increased its New Business in the second half of this year and has not encountered the problems some companies operating within the USA have had.

As has been indicated on the thread we are increasing our involvement in sponsorship, through an association with The Lawn Tennis Association, and the staff changes implemented yesterday, and announced to staff today, are not going to affect AEGON's investment with Hearts in the Breakfast Project.

In lay man's terms, the business is not going down the toilet, in fact it is doing fine and dandy.

I can confirm.......in fact it is doing fine and dandy.

Good news!

My Missus works for Aegon and she was telling me that staff bonus figures being rumoured were not too bad at all.

:)

portobellojambo1
Good news!

My Missus works for Aegon and she was telling me that staff bonus figures being rumoured were not too bad at all.

:)

Obviously I cannot tell you what the figure is Boris, because your wife might have given you a figure which ensures she gets to keep a small (ish) percentage for herself ( ;) ), but I can confirm that my feelings reflect those of your wife, i.e. that the bonus is going to be larger than I envisaged it being.

marshallschunkychicken
Obviously I cannot tell you what the figure is Boris, because your wife might have given you a figure which ensures she gets to keep a small (ish) percentage for herself ( ;) ), but I can confirm that my feelings reflect those of your wife, i.e. that the bonus is going to be larger than I envisaged it being.

I'd concur on that one.

Not too much of a kick off last years figure from what I have heard.

I can confirm that following a merger of Individual and Group (Corporate) Business, there have been a total reduction in staff numbers of 3 (through duplication of roles), two of whom are not based in Edinburgh. There has not been an announcment of widespread redundancies.

This was done to streamline the Customer Services Division

AEGON just in the last couple of days has expanded its business in South America, has actually increased its New Business in the second half of this year and has not encountered the problems some companies operating within the USA have had.

As has been indicated on the thread we are increasing our involvement in sponsorship, through an association with The Lawn Tennis Association, and the staff changes implemented yesterday, and announced to staff today, are not going to affect AEGON's investment with Hearts in the Breakfast Project.

In lay man's terms, the business is not going down the toilet, in fact it is doing fine and dandy.

Excellent post for purely selfish reasons...

I'm escaping Scottish Widows and starting with Aegon on 5 January. The role ad opportunity for my own development made it a no brainer, and JamboSean had persuaded me the company was doing very well. This completely vindicates his guidance. Delighted.

marshallschunkychicken

I'm escaping Scottish Widows and starting with Aegon on 5 January. The role ad opportunity for my own development made it a no brainer, and JamboSean had persuaded me the company was doing very well. This completely vindicates his guidance. Delighted.

Good stuff. What part of the business are you joining?

Carl Weathers

Interesting that they are using the Leith Agency. Their campaigns will definitely improve as their previous efforts were unmemorable to say the least.

coppercrutch

Astounds me how many take the word of senior management as gospel.

No company involved in Finance or Investments is at present anywhere close to being 'safe'.

Not saying Aegon are in trouble. I know little about them. However they are involved in Finance & Investments. That is all you have to know at present.

Good stuff. What part of the business are you joining?

Individual claims.

I'm coming in as senior assessor with two assessors. Initially we'll be reporting to the claims managers in Lytham but will be based in Aegon House with occasional trips south. Long term plan is to grow the Edinburgh claims team gradually as Aegon's claims exposure increases - similar to what they have already done with their underwriters.

What area are you in?

marshallschunkychicken
Individual claims.

I'm coming in as senior assessor with two assessors. Initially we'll be reporting to the claims managers in Lytham but will be based in Aegon House with occasional trips south. Long term plan is to grow the Edinburgh claims team gradually as Aegon's claims exposure increases - similar to what they have already done with their underwriters.

What area are you in?

I'm in corporate. Essentially doing retention work.

I'm in corporate. Essentially doing retention work.

Cool.

By all accounts it's a great place to work. I just hope the draught at the Ritz measures up too.

Cool.

By all accounts it's a great place to work. I just hope the draught at the Ritz measures up too.

The Ritz is crap, unfortunately there is no place else to go if you fancy a pint after work on a Friday. The quiz is not bad at the end of the month though.

marshallschunkychicken
Cool.

Only if your salary allows.

?3.05 for a bog-standard lager. Prices escalate from there...

I take it everyone is on their lunch:rolleyes:

I'm currently working my 3 month notice period here. I could be on lunch for quite some time...

Till...say...christmas eve...

Only if your salary allows.

?3.05 for a bog-standard lager. Prices escalate from there...

I suppose they can charge pretty much what they like...

Oh God, the Ritz! Are they still running the Venga Bus on a Friday?

Do expand a little Geoff - I'm intrigued...

marshallschunkychicken
Oh God, the Ritz! Are they still running the Venga Bus on a Friday?

'Fraid not Geoff.

Blairdin - It was a free bus on a Friday night that took all the p*ssheads into town from the Ritz - IIRC it left about 8 o'clock, and so the majority of passengers were at least three hours worth of drinking worse-off.

It had a tendency to be a riot...

The Ritz is crap

Correct.

Incidentally, redundancies are not necessarily an indication of a company in trouble. There are many very solid companies that have used the current situation as a prompt to do a spot of "trimming".

Correct.

Incidentally, redundancies are not necessarily an indication of a company in trouble. There are many very solid companies that have used the current situation as a prompt to do a spot of "trimming".

Cheynes & Charlie Millar's to name but two...:P

No company involved in Finance or Investments is at present anywhere close to being 'safe'.

Not saying Aegon are in trouble. I know little about them. However they are involved in Finance & Investments. That is all you have to know at present.

It astounds me how many people take "on line experts on everything" words as gospel. ;)

I'm taking no blame!

For anything at all..

coppercrutch
It astounds me how many people take "on line experts on everything" words as gospel. ;)

Simply pointing out that many 'solid' companies in recent times have ended up going to the wall fairly soon after the 'vote of confidence'.:rolleyes:

Maybe Aegon will be just fine. Maybe next week they won't exist. Neither would be surprising.

portobellojambo1

Pensions & Investments Mr CC.

And I agree to an extent with what you say, the present climate means that all companies will feel the pinch. If truth be told a couple of days after the HBOS story came to light our own manager gathered us together for a section briefing, and the one thing I didn't want him to say was "the company are doing braw, this will not affect us in the slightest", because as you say that can often be the kiss of death, and what they actually mean is the complete opposite.

I prefer to find out for myself how the company is doing, and it does appear to have come through this very well, so far. Although we are involved in the finance sector we are, if you like, safe with regards to the business we have on the books at the moment. The funds are tied up, in the main, in pension related products, and very few of these type of products offer encashment facilities (i.e. clients couldn't all come in tomorrow and cash their plans in and bugger off), the products/funds can only be used to provide a pension, which at the moment can be taken from age 50 (the minimum retirement age will increase to age 55 effective 6 April 2010). The only other option available to many is to transfer their funds to another provider, to a suitable type of contract. If we can maintain a good level of service to our client base the chances of this happening reduces.

I do honestly believe we have done well. It helps, I think, that we are not linked to a bank in any way and we do not deal in general insurance (so have very few mortgage linked plans on the go (a few very old ones, but we have tended to avoid that type of business for a while). The parts of the business in the USA that do offer these products were not involved in the subprime mortgage catastrophe, I believe we tend to target high, high, high, earners. I think it also helps that the Group Executive and the companies financial analysts are based in The Netherlands, and they may have viewed the situation differently than British based people would have, and have acted accordingly, and very well, it would seem.

Will it impact on us, undoubtedly, where people lose jobs the last thing they will be thinking about is setting up a brand new pension policy, so new business figures may drop in future months.

But it seems to be ticking over just fine at the moment.

portobellojambo1
The Ritz is crap, unfortunately there is no place else to go if you fancy a pint after work on a Friday. The quiz is not bad at the end of the month though.

Cannot disagree with that, although I tend not to frequent it much these days, other than popping in for a couple if I am going straight to the game from work. I remember when I first moved out to AEGON from Guardian Employee Benefits back in October 2000, I went in for a drink one night and ordered a vodka and coke. She put it on the bar, and being rather thirsty I picked it up to swallow it in a oner. It was almost at my mouth when I heard her mention a figure, I assumed someone nearby had ordered a round. I stopped, said "pardon", she repeated the price and I said "feck that, I can get 4 in the club in Gorgie for that or nip down to the Masonic Club and get half a dozen for the same price", and promptly walked out, still thirsty.

coppercrutch
Pensions & Investments Mr CC.

And I agree to an extent with what you say, the present climate means that all companies will feel the pinch. If truth be told a couple of days after the HBOS story came to light our own manager gathered us together for a section briefing, and the one thing I didn't want him to say was "the company are doing braw, this will not affect us in the slightest", because as you say that can often be the kiss of death, and what they actually mean is the complete opposite.

I prefer to find out for myself how the company is doing, and it does appear to have come through this very well, so far. Although we are involved in the finance sector we are, if you like, safe with regards to the business we have on the books at the moment. The funds are tied up, in the main, in pension related products, and very few of these type of products offer encashment facilities (i.e. clients couldn't all come in tomorrow and cash their plans in and bugger off), the products/funds can only be used to provide a pension, which at the moment can be taken from age 50 (the minimum retirement age will increase to age 55 effective 6 April 2010). The only other option available to many is to transfer their funds to another provider, to a suitable type of contract. If we can maintain a good level of service to our client base the chances of this happening reduces.

I do honestly believe we have done well. It helps, I think, that we are not linked to a bank in any way and we do not deal in general insurance (so have very few mortgage linked plans on the go (a few very old ones, but we have tended to avoid that type of business for a while). The parts of the business in the USA that do offer these products were not involved in the subprime mortgage catastrophe, I believe we tend to target high, high, high, earners. I think it also helps that the Group Executive and the companies financial analysts are based in The Netherlands, and they may have viewed the situation differently than British based people would have, and have acted accordingly, and very well, it would seem.

Will it impact on us, undoubtedly, where people lose jobs the last thing they will be thinking about is setting up a brand new pension policy, so new business figures may drop in future months.

But it seems to be ticking over just fine at the moment.

Will take your word for it. :)

You seem to know what you are talking about.

Still - always good to expect the unexpected.

Although recently - pretty much everything has been unexpected !! :eek:

Craig-Section Z

Where about in SW are you working just now?? This is my place of work as well.

In a fight we would beat Aegon i feel!!

Cannot disagree with that, although I tend not to frequent it much these days, other than popping in for a couple if I am going straight to the game from work. I remember when I first moved out to AEGON from Guardian Employee Benefits back in October 2000, I went in for a drink one night and ordered a vodka and coke. She put it on the bar, and being rather thirsty I picked it up to swallow it in a oner. It was almost at my mouth when I heard her mention a figure, I assumed someone nearby had ordered a round. I stopped, said "pardon", she repeated the price and I said "feck that, I can get 4 in the club in Gorgie for that or nip down to the Masonic Club and get half a dozen for the same price", and promptly walked out, still thirsty.

It is a total rip off as they have a base clientele they can charge what they like within reason, however as I said earlier the quiz on the last Thursday of the month is a decent couple of hours, free buffet and a laugh at your boss making an arse of himself thinking he's a feckin know all. What area do you work in ?

badly drawn boy

Next door neighbour is a AAA rated fund manager with Aegon and shes no looked the happiest this week

Clearly trouble ahead , its Kback after all

Geoff Kilpatrick
Next door neighbour is a AAA rated fund manager with Aegon and shes no looked the happiest this week

Clearly trouble ahead , its Kback after all

If a fund manager looked happy in this present market I would be amazed!

portobellojambo1
It is a total rip off as they have a base clientele they can charge what they like within reason, however as I said earlier the quiz on the last Thursday of the month is a decent couple of hours, free buffet and a laugh at your boss making an arse of himself thinking he's a feckin know all. What area do you work in ?

I work in The Customer Support Unit. We deal with all complaints for those parts of the business which came under what was The Individual Business Unit, i.e. Bonds, Non Unit Linked, Trustee Investments, Retirement Control, S226, RAW, Reflex, Personal Pensions, Unisure based contracts, Executive Pension Plans and Annuities.

Longer term our aim is to become more involved with the various sections to try and offer help to them (implement changes in procedure if needs be), in identifying those aspects of what we do which result in complaints. Assist them with regard to the wording of their correspondence and increase their telephony skills for example, just try and make the business even more customer focused. It is a s h i t load of work that needs to be done, but we have already implemented some changes, which should become more apparent towards the year end. Staff in AEGON tend to think by the name we are there to offer support only to our external customers, but our colleagues are also our customers, and we hope to try and help make their jobs a little more easy.

I am one of those sad individuals who actually enjoys what I do, I love the challenge, and love to set myself challlenges.

badly drawn boy
If a fund manager looked happy in this present market I would be amazed!

Fair point , i speak in jest

Individual claims.

What area are you in?

I'll look out for you in 2009.

I'm based in AEGON House (Final salary dept)

I work in The Customer Support Unit. We deal with all complaints for those parts of the business which came under what was The Individual Business Unit, i.e. Bonds, Non Unit Linked, Trustee Investments, Retirement Control, S226, RAW, Reflex, Personal Pensions, Unisure based contracts, Executive Pension Plans and Annuities.

Longer term our aim is to become more involved with the various sections to try and offer help to them (implement changes in procedure if needs be), in identifying those aspects of what we do which result in complaints. Assist them with regard to the wording of their correspondence and increase their telephony skills for example, just try and make the business even more customer focused. It is a s h i t load of work that needs to be done, but we have already implemented some changes, which should become more apparent towards the year end. Staff in AEGON tend to think by the name we are there to offer support only to our external customers, but our colleagues are also our customers, and we hope to try and help make their jobs a little more easy.

I am one of those sad individuals who actually enjoys what I do, I love the challenge, and love to set myself challlenges.

Nothing sad about that. Sounds good.

Will hopefully get the chance to lock horns when I start. The new ABI TCF guidelines introduced for protection claims in January 2008 and the FOS's "interesting" adjudications that are starting to fliter through are something you I'm sure you would find interesting - I do. Am looking forward to getting into Aegon, as the new approach to claim assessment in the industry is huge and it's something the company seem very willing to embrace. Unlike my present employers...

I'll look out for you in 2009.

I'm based in AEGON House (Final salary dept)

Sounds good.

There's a definite Kickback contingent there!

• 4 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article5014576.ece

"AEGON, the giant European insurance group, is in weekend talks with the Dutch government about the possibility of joining a ?20 billion (?16 billion) state recapitalisation scheme"

Cheers for the link Mr Kilpatrick.

Doesn't look like they are in immediate danger of going teets up. However the fact they are thinking of using this scheme is not good news.

Conclusion = CEO telling porkies.

Archived