Symptoms

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

symptoms of a business in trouble

1.Failure to meet regular financial commitments

2.Non payment of creditors

3.redundancies amongs "support staff"

4.Sources of credit being unwilling to externd even short term facilities.

5 Disasscotiation by sponsors and advertisers

6.Fire sale type deals to raise short term capital

7.Drop in customer base.

8.Withdrawal from or cancellation of extension projects

This is a hybrid model,but Hearts tick a few boxes.

The cure is painful,and involves not treating the symptoms,but surgically removing the cause of the disease

7.Drop in customer base.

The cure is painful,and involves not treating the symptoms,but surgically removing the cause of the disease

Signing Alan Maybury should do the trick.

7.Drop in customer base.

Aye, let's bring back your friend the Pieman then...

Colonel Kurtz
Are you meadows in disguise?

What all of the meadows,or just the part where Heart of Mid-Lothian were formed.

Colonel Kurtz
Aye, let's bring back your friend the Pieman then...

The only thing he got right about the sale of Tynecastle was the timing,however I put that down to events rather than any acumen on his behalf.

We couldnt give the land away in the curent climate.

The only thing he got right about the sale of Tynecastle was the timing,however I put that down to events rather than any acumen on his behalf.

We couldnt give the land away in the curent climate.

Not true at all. Prime land is prime land, credit crunch or not. Market value might not be as convincing but it would still be snapped up. Not all developers are destitute yet.

Colonel Kurtz
Not true at all. Prime land is prime land, credit crunch or not. Market value might not be as convincing but it would still be snapped up. Not all developers are destitute yet.

Aye right

I t definitely wouldnt be Milne believe me.

Developers are trying to punt large bundles of 100 flats in Edinburgh to gererate short term capital.

Aye right

I t definitely wouldnt be Milne believe me.

Developers are trying to punt large bundles of 100 flats in Edinburgh to gererate short term capital.

Milne? Definitely not. But that's because the larger organisations are the ones that have suffered the most. The volume of unsold flats has left them with great big old holes in their cash flow and things don't look to be improving anytime soon on that. That's property, not land sales.

It's the mid-size and smaller developers you want to be watching at the moment. They have the cash and the backing for long term, strategic acquisitions because they're a safer bet, more stable...

It would be an attractive investment, whether or not you intend to build on it or not.

Colonel Kurtz
Milne? Definitely not. But that's because the larger organisations are the ones that have suffered the most. The volume of unsold flats has left them with great big old holes in their cash flow and things don't look to be improving anytime soon on that. That's property, not land sales.

It's the mid-size and smaller developers you want to be watching at the moment. They have the cash and the backing for long term, strategic acquisitions because they're a safer bet, more stable...

Would Tynecastle be mid size or small development.

I agree with your assessment that this is almost the time to buy property and land,dont think things have bottomed out just yet,however unless the site was sold in sections to smaller developers,then I doubt there would be much interest and the price would certainy reflect the current market.l

Would Tynecastle be mid size or small development.

I agree with your assessment that this is almost the time to buy property and land,dont think things have bottomed out just yet,however unless the site was sold in sections to smaller developers,then I doubt there would be much interest and the price would certainy reflect the current market.l

Sure...market value might not be as pretty as you might expect under more normal circumstances but it would still fetch an impressive price. It would still hold reasonable value at the moment because it's prime land now and still will be once the market recovers, thanks to its location.

The size of the buyer wouldn't necessarily reflect the extent of the development potential either. Larger developments are quite often done co-jointly and as I added on to my previous post (sorry, late editing!) it wouldn't even necessarily be purchased by someone who had an interest in developing it at all. It would be a nice investment for someone who can afford to sit on it for a couple of years.

Colonel Kurtz
Sure...market value might not be as pretty as you might expect under more normal circumstances but it would still fetch an impressive price. It would still hold reasonable value at the moment because it's prime land now and still will be once the market recovers, thanks to its location.

The size of the buyer wouldn't necessarily reflect the extent of the development potential either. Larger developments are quite often done co-jointly and as I added on to my previous post (sorry, late editing!) it wouldn't even necessarily be purchased by someone who had an interest in developing it at all. It would be a nice investment for someone who can afford to sit on it for a couple of years.

right ill take your advice , away to buy some land,might stop of for a pint on the way.

Theres a prime bit of land at Kaimes crossroads owned by our travelling friends which fits the bill

right ill take your advice , away to buy some land,might stop of for a pint on the way.

Theres a prime bit of land at Kaimes crossroads owned by our travelling friends which fits the bill

Lithuanian businessmen are one thing, travelling people are quite another. I wouldn't fancy your chances much. :biggrin:

7.Drop in customer base.

Didn't Hearts turn down a ?1.75m deal for Berra in the summer and ?200k for Karipidis? They also made a conditional sale of Jose for a price many on here thought ridiculously high. That seems to me to be hard-nosed dealing not a fire sale. While you may be right in your overall assumptions there are possible explanations to the following of your points

1 & 2 - This is typical (not excusable) of some E. European cultures

3 - Cuts-back in staff happen everywhere and more so with loss making companies like us.

4 - A natural reaction to points 1 & 2

5 - Sponsors themselves are INCREASINGLY feeling the crunch.

7 - A reaction to our poor last season. Some supporters who jumped on the the band wagon of Romanov's success "promise" have jumped off again while others have different reasons for not attending.

8 - What have they withdrawn from that you think is wrong?

As I say you may be right but maybe not.

Didn't Hearts turn down a ?1.75m deal for Berra in the summer and ?200k for Karipidis? They also made a conditional sale of Jose for a price many on here thought ridiculously high. That seems to me to be hard-nosed dealing not a fire sale. While you may be right in your overall assumptions there are possible explanations to the following of your points

1 & 2 - This is typical (not excusable) of some E. European cultures

3 - Cuts-back in staff happen everywhere and more so with loss making companies like us.

4 - A natural reaction to points 1 & 2

5 - Sponsors themselves are INCREASINGLY feeling the crunch.

7 - A reaction to our poor last season. Some supporters who jumped on the the band wagon of Romanov's success "promise" have jumped off again while others have different reasons for not attending.

8 - What have they withdrawn from that you think is wrong?

As I say you may be right but maybe not.

Good post - my employer ha smade many redundancies over the years and was, and still is one of the most successful in its industry. It has also sclaed back projects, and indeed withdrawn from some (Hearts as yet have not). We are still going strong and possiblt stronger.

7.Drop in customer base.

^^

Symptoms of a unhinged drama queen

Guest juvehearts
^^

Symptoms of a unhinged drama queen

agreed!

BUT (their is always one of them), hearts being ran as a buisness were doomed 10 years ago & we're still here (just) weve been here for as long as the Bank Of Scotland & are Still Heart Of Midlothian.

we will still be here in another 100 years because we quite simpally are Heart Of Midlothian.

Good post - my employer ha smade many redundancies over the years and was, and still is one of the most successful in its industry. It has also sclaed back projects, and indeed withdrawn from some (Hearts as yet have not). We are still going strong and possiblt stronger.

You're absolutely right.

The Colonel's symptoms might indicate a well-run business but no one can tell as we don't know what the accounts to 31/7/08 show nor do we know what impact the recent banking situation has on UKIO/UBIG.

The Colonel seems to be harbouring a grudge if we look at some of his latest posts. Have HMFC failed to pay the dig money?

Its all the fault of HBOS, credit crunch and SFA/SPL Mafia

And dont worry because Vlad and Ubig are immune against the credit crunch, it only affects everyone else

All is OK

Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hearts under the Pieman certainly fell into all 8 categories.

When will folk engage their brain and realise that if we want rid of Vlad then you must get the right people in to take over from him. The Pieman went thru a honeymoon period after buying out Mercer, before he went power mad and nearly made the club extinct.

Can't say that I have seen the same signs with Vlad yet...

And dont worry because Vlad and Ubig are immune against the credit crunch, it only affects everyone else

All is OK

Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHo claimed this then Prancer, or is your imagination running riot again?

BUT (their is always one of them), hearts being ran as a buisness were doomed 10 years ago & we're still here (just) weve been here for as long as the Bank Of Scotland & are Still Heart Of Midlothian.

we will still be here in another 100 years because we quite simpally are Heart Of Midlothian.

Not quite. The Bank of Scotland have been around since 1695 although possibly not for much longer other than as a brand name.

All is OK

Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the point of this post? What do you suggest anyone does differently?

Guest casper
The Colonel's symptoms might indicate a well-run business but no one can tell as we don't know what the accounts to 31/7/08 show nor do we know what impact the recent banking situation has on UKIO/UBIG.

The signs of a well run football club should be seen on the pitch. While the accounts a important, the football is the real measure of success for any football fan, especially when the owner has the financial resources he claims.

Colonel Kurtz
Hearts under the Pieman certainly fell into all 8 categories.

When will folk engage their brain and realise that if we want rid of Vlad then you must get the right people in to take over from him. The Pieman went thru a honeymoon period after buying out Mercer, before he went power mad and nearly made the club extinct.

Can't say that I have seen the same signs with Vlad yet...

Why were brains not enagaged in the manner you describe before getting rid of CR.

Power mad ...hmmmm who does that sound like.

The signs of a well run football club should be seen on the pitch. While the accounts a important, the football is the real measure of success for any football fan, especially when the owner has the financial resources he claims.

Yes you're probably right provided that success is not gained by overstretching financial resources.

All businesses and enterprises go through peaks and troughs and football clubs are no different. What wealth Romanov has, has sod all to do with HMFC as UKIO/UBIG own the club which clearly is a separate entity within UBIG for accounting purposes. They are only likely to invest big money where they see prospects of a worthwhile return - that's what successful business people do.

Please tell me

a) what Scottish clubs are successful by your definition, and

B) are you satisfied these clubs are well run, or do you believe they fly by the seat of their pants.

coppercrutch

I think the land at Tynie would be difficult to sell. Of course at the right price anything sells. However I imagine it would be less than half what it was previously valued at.

Historically when house prices fall a certain amount the related land falls are exponential.

If we are looking at house values in Gorgie falling by about 30-50% ( Which is not even close to worst case scenario ) then land prices in Gorgie may well fall by 60-80%.

Fine about someone buying it and 'sitting on it' for a few years. However I think most of those who may be interested in buying it would know that this 'few years' is more likely to be closer to 10 than 2.

Most big developers have huge land banks sitting ther already that are crashing in price by the hour. Why would they want to get another one...

As RedM states perhaps it would come down to a smaller - Mid sized developer. Still if they would have the cash available to purchase it, even at a cut down price, is debatable.

I think if UBIG is properly ****ed - the land would sell for way less than ?10 million in a fire sale.

People in the building trade with experience know what the score is right now - and what we can expect in the next 5+ years.

I imagine the idea of buying a plot of land to build flats on in Edinburgh is pretty close to the bottom of their 'to do' lists...

Guest casper
Yes you're probably right provided that success is not gained by overstretching financial resources.

All businesses and enterprises go through peaks and troughs and football clubs are no different. What wealth Romanov has, has sod all to do with HMFC as UKIO/UBIG own the club which clearly is a separate entity within UBIG for accounting purposes. They are only likely to invest big money where they see prospects of a worthwhile return - that's what successful business people do.

Please tell me

a) what Scottish clubs are successful by your definition, and

B) are you satisfied these clubs are well run, or do you believe they fly by the seat of their pants.

I'm not really interested in what is success for other clubs or how they are run but success for Hearts IMO should be qualifying for Europe 7 or 8 times out of 10, getting to a cup semi every couple of years and winning 1 now and again. Given romanovs claims of his/UBigs financial might when he arrived that should not be beyond the club. Just as importantly I'd like to see the good name of our club not being dragged through the mud in the papers every time another bill isn't paid, the AGM not being a farce and the fans lied to and a manager who gets to pick his own players and team.

Archived