World in meltdown but...

Guest S.U.S.S.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/525368.stm

Jesus, who cares.

You would think that their priorities would lie elsewhere at the moment.

GSTQ

Given the date of publication of the article you link to

Thursday, November 18, 1999 Published at 06:13 GMT
I would have thought that given that you feel the world is in meltdown YOU would be doing better things than finding 9 year old articles to bring to everyones attention.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Given the date of publication of the article you link to I would have thought that given that you feel the world is in meltdown YOU would be doing better things than finding 9 year old articles to bring to everyones attention.

appologies, i posted a link from the wrong article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4822067.ece

happy now?

Guest S.U.S.S.
A fine sentiment spoiled only by the last four letters of your post which kind of pull the rug from under your own argument.

Ah so being proud to be British means i am not allowed an opinion?

I think there is much more to worry about at the moment that who can take opver the throne. Fact is the next king is in line and there is no need to look at this at the moment. At the appropriate time yes. But its not now.

The Mighty Thor

Afternoon SUSS. Welcome back.

Been on a monarchists/loyalists refresher course? ;)

There's a need to modernise and increase the relevance of the monarchy in the modern society, surely even you can see that?

I note that her maj has been rattling the begging bowl for public funding over the condition of some of her properties? Poor scone.

To be perfectly honest i'm not that fussed which of the Greco-Hanoverian dynasty takes over, the result of centuries of in-breeding is clear for all to see.

appologies, i posted a link from the wrong article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4822067.ece

happy now?

Marvellous SUSS. My faith in your ability to link to up to date and relevant news stories is refreshed! ;)

Ah so being proud to be British means i am not allowed an opinion?

I think there is much more to worry about at the moment that who can take opver the throne. Fact is the next king is in line and there is no need to look at this at the moment. At the appropriate time yes. But its not now.

Any look at future succession candidates is as relevant now as it will ever be. You are correct in that the next two/three heirs are pretty well decided on. The major impact of religious choice will hit the CofE, and could lead to its disestablishment.

It's not as if it is backdated so someone will spring out of the woodwork.

I actually believe that if you are going to look at who can succeed the throne, part of the argument has to look at why we even have a monarchy at all.

Guest S.U.S.S.

I've missed you all 2!

I do agree things should be brough more up to date, its the timing of it all that i find funny.

I also agree that once this route is taken the debate on if/why we should have a Monarchy will and should be discussed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/525368.stm

Jesus, who cares.

You would think that their priorities would lie elsewhere at the moment.

GSTQ

who cares? quite a few people, even if you're not one of them. personally i'd abolish the entire shooting match.

as for priorities elsewhere, are you suggesting that even tho there's little MSPs can currently do to sort out the Crunch they should still spend their time wringing their hands instead of getting on with other work?

ridiculous OP.

Who really cares about religion FFS!

In this day and age there is more important things to worry about than a bunch of inbred Germans!

Guest S.U.S.S.
who cares? quite a few people, even if you're not one of them. personally i'd abolish the entire shooting match.

as for priorities elsewhere, are you suggesting that even tho there's little MSPs can currently do to sort out the Crunch they should still spend their time wringing their hands instead of getting on with other work?

ridiculous OP.

your right, nothing they can do at all, best just to leave it then.

ridiculous reply.

Who really cares about religion FFS!

In this day and age there is more important things to worry about than a bunch of inbred Germans!

Actually if they were allowed to marry Spaniards and Italians then after a few generations they might not be so inbred.

The strange thing is that given that the system will still involve the head of state being selected by accident of birth people think that this detail is what makes it unfair, ignoring the elephant in the room and blaming the smell on the dog.

It's only really a big issue in England where the monarch is the Head of the national church a situation that could not carry on with a Catholic monarch meaning that the Anglicans would be forced to disestablish themselves.

In Scotland the Kirk would face no such problems

One good thing about this story is that it means that people can actually use the word "Antidisestablishmentarianism" in context for once

Archived