Roof Coatings

belly

I have quite alot of moss growing on my roof, and I am looking for a company that will clean the moss off the roof and apply a protective coating to prevent the moss from growing back. Has anyone had this done, if so who did you use and how much did it cost?

We had a quote from Aquashield, and they wanted ?2100, :eek: I could probably have the whole roof retiled for that price.

You could probably have it retiled for that mate. I am a roofing contractor, PM me if you want a free quote. I have never seen the point in painting roofs. They look like **** after a few years.

You could probably have it retiled for that mate. I am a roofing contractor, PM me if you want a free quote. I have never seen the point in painting roofs. They look like **** after a few years.

Thanks for that, there is someone else coming to give us a quote today, will wait and see what their price will be. More than likely I will be going for the retile option. My wife's friends husband is a roofer so we will probably get him to do it for us, but if he is not interested I will give you a shout.

i am a roofer also could not agree more with you they look pathetic

Jambof3tornado
i am a roofer also could not agree more with you they look pathetic

There have been a few folk near my house that have had it done and you can see that it doesnt last long.

Can you really retile a roof for cheaper than ?2100,not ready to get ours done yet and live near stirling,just a standard sized 2 bedroom end terrace,wondered if anyone had a rough price.

There have been a few folk near my house that have had it done and you can see that it doesnt last long.

Can you really retile a roof for cheaper than ?2100,not ready to get ours done yet and live near stirling,just a standard sized 2 bedroom end terrace,wondered if anyone had a rough price.

Sounds a simple enough job. The thing with this is it is not a full roof re-do. You only replace tiles and fittings, leaving the tile battens etc. I did one (semi detached) in Whitburn last year and it came to ?2200 which was new gutters etc. PM me if you need a free quote.

Not properly you can't.

Jambof3tornado
Sounds a simple enough job. The thing with this is it is not a full roof re-do. You only replace tiles and fittings, leaving the tile battens etc. I did one (semi detached) in Whitburn last year and it came to ?2200 which was new gutters etc. PM me if you need a free quote.

I shall keep you in mind for when the time comes. Thanks mate.

I have quite alot of moss growing on my roof, and I am looking for a company that will clean the moss off the roof and apply a protective coating to prevent the moss from growing back. Has anyone had this done, if so who did you use and how much did it cost?

We had a quote from Aquashield, and they wanted ?2100, :eek: I could probably have the whole roof retiled for that price.

one of the problems you have to watch for when painting your roof is it will seal the ventilation therefore you may end up having problems later. if you need a price on new roof tiles PM me as i work in sales for a roofing merchant and can give you contact details etc.

letsalllaughathobos

i run a roofing company aswell. if could re-tile a roof for ?2100 you must give me your phone no so i can get you to do all my tiling jobs.

heartgarfunkel

I've got an old Victorian semi ;) in a Borders toun, and the roof's friar tucked (it's 3 floors up). Some radge has covered it with a coating at some point, and it's doing a bit of a job in that it's holding slates that would otherwise slide into the gutter/passing pedestrians/motors. Any decent Edinburgh/Lothians roofers who want to muscle in to a tied-up, expensive, local market, and want to do a test job on the cheap, I'm your customer!;):)

i run a roofing company aswell. if could re-tile a roof for ?2100 you must give me your phone no so i can get you to do all my tiling jobs.

pm me. Happy to quote.

I've got an old Victorian semi ;) in a Borders toun, and the roof's friar tucked (it's 3 floors up). Some radge has covered it with a coating at some point, and it's doing a bit of a job in that it's holding slates that would otherwise slide into the gutter/passing pedestrians/motors. Any decent Edinburgh/Lothians roofers who want to muscle in to a tied-up, expensive, local market, and want to do a test job on the cheap, I'm your customer!;):)

Too far away for me mate. You won't get a cheap slate roof though.

Been in the game for a long, long time mate, I know what I am talking about and what I can do.

Maybe too long ? Taking tiles off and putting new ones on is not a proper job no matter how cheap it is.

So now i have won the bet what do i get ? :P

Maybe too long ? Taking tiles off and putting new ones on is not a proper job no matter how cheap it is.

So now i have won the bet what do i get ? :P

Compared to painting a roof. :P I know what you mean but some of the roofs getting done are not old with a solid structure. People want new tiles with the trimmings and I give them that as cheap as poss.

Now what do I get?:cheese:

Have just had the roof coating done by a company from Perth who did the same job as the other company previously quoted, for ?340.

I only had it done as a short term fix to get rid of the moss.

Thats their first quote... Phone them and tell them its too expensive and you were looking to spend about $400. If they cant drop that low then they can bugger off.

They then can say... Never mind then, OR.... Well we can't do ?400 but we can do ?xxx...

Make the numbers up if you want. They will drop their quote! - They will have several prices in mind..

1st one - Top price that they will start at. Not usually going to get it but some people will agree to anything.

2nd price - Lower than the first. Most people will take this.

3rd price - Their rock bottom price that makes it look like an amazing offer when you compare it to the first quote.

4th (and hard to get one) - They will have a price where they make a very little profit from. The only will do these jobs if they don't have much work on. So they are paying their guys to sit around and do nothing.. Or they can have their guys out working and might make about ?100. That way they make money rather than lose it.

In today's economic climate.. You might get a very good price as they may be desperate for the work!

Thats their first quote... Phone them and tell them its too expensive and you were looking to spend about $400. If they cant drop that low then they can bugger off.

They then can say... Never mind then, OR.... Well we can't do ?400 but we can do ?xxx...

Make the numbers up if you want. They will drop their quote! - They will have several prices in mind..

1st one - Top price that they will start at. Not usually going to get it but some people will agree to anything.

2nd price - Lower than the first. Most people will take this.

3rd price - Their rock bottom price that makes it look like an amazing offer when you compare it to the first quote.

4th (and hard to get one) - They will have a price where they make a very little profit from. The only will do these jobs if they don't have much work on. So they are paying their guys to sit around and do nothing.. Or they can have their guys out working and might make about ?100. That way they make money rather than lose it.

In today's economic climate.. You might get a very good price as they may be desperate for the work!

I take it you didn't read post 22.

I take it you didn't read post 22.

em.... Was just adding some information for other peoples benefit!

Archived