The 4-4-1-1 formation and the job of the deeper playing player

vegas-voss

Ok watched the highlights of the United game tonight and once again thought that Miko out of all our players looks the most suited to this role if i have the jist of what the role should actually be.

Should it not be the forward supporting player's job to drive from midfield into the box,picking up any lay offs or knockdowns to create a scoring chance because if so then Miko is the man because he has by far the best shot in our squad and was unlucky with his late effort against Utd which would have been another stormer.Let Mole continue to do all the graft and the running and be the type of player that fans hate but managers like until Tullberg is fully fit but give us a player who can really feed of these scaps and get strikes on goal unlike the powder puff Audrey.

Ok watched the highlights of the United game tonight and once again thought that Miko out of all our players looks the most suited to this role if i have the jist of what the role should actually be.

Should it not be the forward supporting player's job to drive from midfield into the box,picking up any lay offs or knockdowns to create a scoring chance because if so then Miko is the man because he has by far the best shot in our squad and was unlucky with his late effort against Utd which would have been another stormer.Let Mole continue to do all the graft and the running and be the type of player that fans hate but managers like until Tullberg is fully fit but give us a player who can really feed of these scaps and get strikes on goal unlike the powder puff Audrey.

He'd certainly be better than Audrey, but that wouldn't be hard. I also think an on-form and fit Chesney (if anyone can remember that far back) could also do a much better job in there than Audrey. Audrey has undoubted skill, but is too slow, seems to require far too much time and space on the ball, lacks concentration and commitment and consistency, and is - as you say - far too lightweight. We would have been much better hanging on to McCann and playing him in that role than what we're doing at the moment.

Personally, I don't want to see us playing with that formation on a regular basis, but "the management" appear to be fixated with it, so we're probably stuck with it just now.

The ideal role for Miko, as far as I'm concerned, would be in a "free" role behind a front two pairing, mainly playing down the wing but having licence to drift inside or swap wings as appropriate. Yes, this would affect the balance and shape of our formation, and the other players would have to be aware and adaptable to what was happening, but it would also make it tricky for the opposition to pick him up. Even with zonal-marking, there should be plenty of opportunity in a game for him to lose whoever should be picking him up at that time. If the marking is man-to-man, he drags his marker all over the park which should create space for others. John Colquhoun, Neil McCann, and Allan Johnston have all - at times - been deployed very successfully in this "free" role in the past.

(On the other hand, with the current lot, it could be a recipe for chaos and disaster...! :rolleyes:)

He'd certainly be better than Audrey, but that wouldn't be hard. I also think an on-form and fit Chesney (if anyone can remember that far back) could also do a much better job in there than Audrey. Audrey has undoubted skill, but is too slow, seems to require far too much time and space on the ball, lacks concentration and commitment and consistency, and is - as you say - far too lightweight. We would have been much better hanging on to McCann and playing him in that role than what we're doing at the moment.

Personally, I don't want to see us playing with that formation on a regular basis, but "the management" appear to be fixated with it, so we're probably stuck with it just now.

The ideal role for Miko, as far as I'm concerned, would be in a "free" role behind a front two pairing, mainly playing down the wing but having licence to drift inside or swap wings as appropriate. Yes, this would affect the balance and shape of our formation, and the other players would have to be aware and adaptable to what was happening, but it would also make it tricky for the opposition to pick him up. Even with zonal-marking, there should be plenty of opportunity in a game for him to lose whoever should be picking him up at that time. If the marking is man-to-man, he drags his marker all over the park which should create space for others. John Colquhoun, Neil McCann, and Allan Johnston have all - at times - been deployed very successfully in this "free" role in the past.

(On the other hand, with the current lot, it could be a recipe for chaos and disaster...! :rolleyes:)

I agree with you about the Miko role, but Miko and Chesney in the Team at the same time is not good, even if they are both on form. Midfield is far too light weight and easily over ran. IMO the ideal player to replace Audrey would be Bruno, who can run midfield and get forward to support the attackers.

I agree with you about the Miko role, but Miko and Chesney in the Team at the same time is not good, even if they are both on form. Midfield is far too light weight and easily over ran. IMO the ideal player to replace Audrey would be Bruno, who can run midfield and get forward to support the attackers.

I agree.

As for Bruno, it's been so long since I saw him play that I don't really know what to expect from him. From what I remember of him, I wouldn't have earmarked him as the most obvious candidate to take over Audrey's role, but maybe he could do a job there. It'll be good to have him back, fully fit and in contention for a starting place, to see if he can offer something different (and, I hope, better) to what we have at the moment.

I woul;d prefer we just scrap the whole idea and go 4-4-2

It was the same formation that was our downfall last year.

what makes me wonder is what is our so called sporting director doing.

He seen it last year and we where rank. why has he not tipped laslo off.

i agree, i dont think we have a strong enough team to play 2 light weights like Miko and Chesney in the same team, but it would be nice if we could as when both are on form we look very dangerous going forward.

i've been saying for a while now i'd like to see Miko played in behind the lone striker. he has a decent shot and his work rate and effort puts others in the team to shame.

if he is going to stick with the 1 upfront formation then the player sitting in behind needs to be bursting a gut each week to support him, and at the moment thats just not happening, and its unfair on young Mole.

time for a change of personnel or formation

I woul;d prefer we just scrap the whole idea and go 4-4-2

It was the same formation that was our downfall last year.

what makes me wonder is what is our so called sporting director doing.

He seen it last year and we where rank. why has he not tipped laslo off.

Why oh why are we still trying to play this formation. You can do it when you have two fast wing players who can get back and forward when required ala Man Utd but even with a fully fit squad I don't think that formation suits our players.

I've been saying for a while now that Miko should be tried in this position as he is far more mobile than Audrey and he also seems to care a feck which Audrey doesn't seem to show. Either that or at least give him a chance in his favoured right hand side and punt kingston to the bench till he decides he actually wants to try.

Archived