Defenders in midfield?

ericb

Why do we do it?

Tall palyed there

Zal has played there,

and now Karapidis is playing there.

I'm pretty sure McGowan played there also.

Those in the know seem to feel it is a Vlad thing, but we've done it before, McKenna playing all over the park.

Guest jambomickey
Why do we do it?

Tall palyed there

Zal has played there,

Those in the know seem to feel it is a Vlad thing, but we've done it before, McKenna playing all over the park.

play players in there natural positions

Lots of teams have done it.

Example:

Alan Smith when he was at Man Utd.

From a goal scoring machine at Leeds, to a centre midfielder....makes sense ;)

siegementality
Why do we do it?

Tall palyed there

Zal has played there,

For a laugh?

A defender will by instinct sit in midfield and just try to win the ball. Managers like this stability.

If we're talking about Palazuelos Vs Karipidis this is probably the reason Christos gets the nod.

Only once have I seen this system work for us. Last year against the huns Zal played and totally negated there long ball game. we won 4-2 and it may be where they all see this tactic as being great. just a thought.

As I said in a previous thread we cannot play lightweights like Audrey away from home but also we cannot play Karipidis as his distribution is predictable and negates any balls he wins by giving it straight away again.

Touzani did it at Aberdeen

O'Shea did it at Man U

Bamba is doing it at Hibs

Dailly did it at Rangers

I think some people view a footballing defender as the perfect defensive midfielder who will provide protection to the back 4. Other midfielders may be viewed as not disciplined enough to play the role or too attacking for the role.

are there any other teams in the world that share this fascination? or is it just Hearts?

You see it a fair bit, just we probably notice it more because we support Hearts. O Shea has done it at Man U, Campo did it for Bolton, Helguera regualrly did it for Real Madrid.

Hierro played both roles, Mattheus played both roles.

It can get frustrating when we lose but has Karipidis made an impact when we win? Would Stewart have performed so well without the freedom given to him by Karipidis doing his dirty work?

You see it a fair bit, just we probably notice it more because we support Hearts. O Shea has done it at Man U, Campo did it for Bolton, Helguera regualrly did it for Real Madrid.

Hierro played both roles, Mattheus played both roles.

It can get frustrating when we lose but has Karipidis made an impact when we win? Would Stewart have performed so well without the freedom given to him by Karipidis doing his dirty work?

True, but we've been doing it consistently for two years now, and with different players, none of who are really suited to plaing in midfield. The guys you listed were all great with the ball at their feet (except perhaps O'shea) and composed on the ball.

Why do we do it?

We'll just have to take their word for it. :sad:

Archived