New York

Guess The Crowd

Guess The Crowd

Can anybody recommend any good value for money hotels in the NY area? I've just booked flights for a 10-day break commencing 10th October, and of course the Edinburgh derby is on my last full day there, so also there's also the obligatory 'where is a good pub for watching the football' question, which will kick-off at 9am local time I imagine.

Grateful for any help, cheers.

Unfortuntely, I've never associated the phrase "good value for money" with New York hotels :laugh:

Tell me about it. We are going next April and it ain't cheap for a room in a decent hotel. :cool:

Look into getting a hotel in NJ, either Hoboken or Jersey City area.

Will probably be much cheaper and you can get the PATH train into the city in 20 minutes every day for 1.75. Probably be able to get a deal on them as well. Hobokens nice and has a couple of bars, Shannon's and Mulligans on 1st Street that have Setanta so might be showning the game.

I looked into how much it was out of interest, and it was like a grand for them all.

Where are these crap ones?

Red Roof Inn and Motel 8 and Red Carpet Inn are some of the crappy motel chains they have over here. $50-$100 a night for most of them.

Dunno about in NYC, I'm sure there's millions of them

Guess The Crowd

Will probably be much cheaper and you can get the PATH train into the city in 20 minutes every day for 1.75. Probably be able to get a deal on them as well. Hobokens nice and has a couple of bars, Shannon's and Mulligans on 1st Street that have Setanta so might be showning the game.

Thank for this, and to others who have responded.

I had heard NJ was better value, and originally I thought we may have flown in to Newark, which would have suited.

Now we're flying in and out of JFK, however - how long would it take me first night by train, say, to get to Hobokens (sounds a bit Hibbyish, ken?:)

I had heard NJ was better value, and originally I thought we may have flown in to Newark, which would have suited.

Now we're flying in and out of JFK, however - how long would it take me first night by train, say, to get to Hobokens (sounds a bit Hibbyish, ken?:)

If you're flying into JFK that's gonna be a major pain in the rear end. Newark's much better, I would always recommend Newark over JFK.

Depends how much luggage you've got the train should be OK, get in to Penn Station and change onto the PATH to get to Jersey City or Hoboken

Try hotel 373 on 5th avenue, I was there for 2weeks and it was excellent http://www.hotel373.com/ read the reviews on tripadvisor, great locations and a brilliant irish pub called the playright just along the road with plenty sports on tv.

Can anybody recommend any good value for money hotels in the NY area? I've just booked flights for a 10-day break commencing 10th October, and of course the Edinburgh derby is on my last full day there, so also there's also the obligatory 'where is a good pub for watching the football' question, which will kick-off at 9am local time I imagine.

Grateful for any help, cheers.

Don't know your price range, but in general, you get SFA for buttons in NYC. I'm booked into The Empire Hotel, on W66th and Broadway, as that's the area I want to stay in. Got the best deal by booking it through Trailfinders as they threw in one night for free. Around ?528 for 4 nights for a genuine 4 star with pool, gym, rooftop bar right in the action. Made a big mistake scrimping on the room last time I was there and it ruined the whole trip (tiny, dirty, smelly room c/w cockroaches and bullet holes in the lift).

Have also heard good things about Ron's Place a b&b in the West Village.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I stayed in a hotel called the Mayford (I think) a street away from Times Sq.

Was an absolutely brilliant location and the hotels had everything you need.

Don't know your price range, but in general, you get SFA for buttons in NYC. I'm booked into The Empire Hotel, on W66th and Broadway, as that's the area I want to stay in. Got the best deal by booking it through Trailfinders as they threw in one night for free. Around ?528 for 4 nights for a genuine 4 star with pool, gym, rooftop bar right in the action. Made a big mistake scrimping on the room last time I was there and it ruined the whole trip (tiny, dirty, smelly room c/w cockroaches and bullet holes in the lift).

Have also heard good things about Ron's Place a b&b in the West Village.

We are looking at the Empire, either there or the Sheraton. Will be booking over the next weekI think.

esb 3_thumb.jpgWe stayed at the Hotel Edison,1 minute from Times Square,Excellent value.

The rooms were clean and a decent size.

jack D and coke
I stayed in a hotel called the Mayford (I think) a street away from Times Sq.

Was an absolutely brilliant location and the hotels had everything you need.

Was it the Milford maybe? The Milford Plaza? I stayed there a couple of years back and it's just off Times Square and Broadway. Superb location. New York is the f***** berries!

Went to a lap dancing bar just down the road from the hotel, asked the best looking bird in the place for a dance and it turned out she's a hun from drumchapel!!!:eek: Absolute stunner she was;)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Was it the Milford maybe? The Milford Plaza? I stayed there a couple of years back and it's just off Times Square and Broadway. Superb location. New York is the f***** berries!

Went to a lap dancing bar just down the road from the hotel, asked the best looking bird in the place for a dance and it turned out she's a hun from drumchapel!!!:eek: Absolute stunner she was;)

It was indeed mate. Top, top location.

Guess The Crowd

Thanks again chaps, didn't expect anything like as much as this by way of response, plenty of options to consider there. Any further info would be great...

As a logical conclusion to this, I won't be happy unless I meet up with at least one JKB member while I'm there!

Though I can't help see the irony in so many Hearts fans being experts on NY, currently at the centre of the world's dramatic financial crisis....how apt:sad:

(ps Rossmaroon I think I met you in Inverness once, in the company of a mutual (journalistic) friend;)

Nelly Terraces

Unreal timing as I'm gonna be there on the 17th October and am going through hoops right this minute trying to get a decent deal on hotels in NYC, they're pretty pricey. Some of you scamps have mentioned places that I didnt think would be up to much (The Milford, and a few others) but now I'm thinking of staying there with Mrs Jenkins.

Cheers boys.

Oh and I'll deffo be in Nevada Smiths for the game v the hobos. The place the absolute hounds for fitba! Get in! Check the gaff here: http://www.nevadasmiths.net/ I'll contact them to find out the thrashing of the filth is on, but someone said previous that if the game was on Sultana it would deffo be on there.

Thanks again chaps, didn't expect anything like as much as this by way of response, plenty of options to consider there. Any further info would be great...

As a logical conclusion to this, I won't be happy unless I meet up with at least one JKB member while I'm there!

Though I can't help see the irony in so many Hearts fans being experts on NY, currently at the centre of the world's dramatic financial crisis....how apt:sad:

(ps Rossmaroon I think I met you in Inverness once, in the company of a mutual (journalistic) friend;)

Remember it well.

By the way, The Parlour Bar on West 86th st between Amsterdam and Broadway has a big Scottish contingent and is good for watching matches.

Remember it well.

By the way, The Parlour Bar on West 86th st between Amsterdam and Broadway has a big Scottish contingent and is good for watching matches.

Er, the Parlour is a Sellick pub. Been there several times, and whilst the locals weren't hostile, I'd definitely describe it as having "Irish sympathies" shall we say.

If you're in NYC for 10 days an apartment may be an option. There is no such thing as a cheap good hotel in New York. You very much get what you pay for. I was over in June and stayed at the Pod. Very nice and clean but still way over $200 a night.

We're staying at the Grand Hyatt when we are over next April. I was there on business in 94 and thought it was ok. Right next to Grand Central.

Guess The Crowd

Thanks for this, any particular hotels you're aware of in the immediate Hoboken area, I can't seem to find any?

The nearest I have found is a Marriott in Jersey City, but at approx. ?180/night, it's nearly as dear as Times Square area (Milford Plaza seems to work out at ?200/night, which I guess is what I expected).

I've found a decent looking Best Western which is ?100/night, but that's a bit further north in NJ at Fort Lee, and I've just been told the transport links aren't that great.

Thanks again....

Guess The Crowd

Edit: sorry, above post was supposed to be a reply to this....

Don't even bother with Fort Lee, it's right next to the GW Bridge so is gash for getting into the city.

Not too sure about Hoboken/Jersey City,just find one close to the PATH if you can, if not then it won;t be worth it, you'd be better off staying in the City

Guess The Crowd

Thanks again guys.

After staying at JFK on the first night, I've gone for the Milford Plaza for the for the next 3, then out to Clifton NJ for the next 4. Leaving the last 2 unbooked just now, may head back to the Milford if we like it.

Also planning Nevada Smiths for Scotland / Norway, and hopefully for the derby on our last day, so if you're there Tucker Jenkins, I'll look out for the Hearts strip!

honestly stay in central park hostel for 20 quid a nite. great value an 2 min subway ride fi centre manhattan.

great value!!!!!!!!!

Nelly Terraces
Thanks again guys.

After staying at JFK on the first night, I've gone for the Milford Plaza for the for the next 3, then out to Clifton NJ for the next 4. Leaving the last 2 unbooked just now, may head back to the Milford if we like it.

Also planning Nevada Smiths for Scotland / Norway, and hopefully for the derby on our last day, so if you're there Tucker Jenkins, I'll look out for the Hearts strip!

I'll be there, don't worry. I emailed them and asked if they're showing it, but not had a reply yet. They've got it up on their schedule though on the website, with 'TBA' next to it, guessing they were waiting for kick off date/times.

Hope there's no hobos in there, I can't stand being anywhere near rats.:sad:

I ended up booking the Hampton hotel in Soho for me and Mrs TJ. Pricey as ****, about 900 sheets each for 8 nights, but bollocks, I like a bit of luxury and the area it's in is the dogs loveblobs, right in the middle of the action.:)

Cheers ya scamps.

TJ.

Thanks again guys.

Tucker don't wear colours!

Going over next month and have managed to get tickets for the Calzaghe fight. Planning on going to Nevada Smiths on the Saturday morning for the Arsenal v Man Utd game if any JKB's are around.

Going over next month and have managed to get tickets for the Calzaghe fight. Planning on going to Nevada Smiths on the Saturday morning for the Arsenal v Man Utd game if any JKB's are around.

Give me a buzz if you get down to DC dude, T has my number.

Give me a buzz if you get down to DC dude, T has my number.

T was saying you had moved down there mate but unfortunately we are only over for a long weekend so will just be in NYC. Hope to be back over next year and to visit a few new places so will defo catch up then.

T was saying you had moved down there mate but unfortunately we are only over for a long weekend so will just be in NYC. Hope to be back over next year and to visit a few new places so will defo catch up then.

No worries. Would definitely recommend it down here, nice part of the country. Prolly catch up with u at Xmas.

Thanks again guys.

Whereabout in Clifton are you staying? I'm just up the road from there. It's a wee bit further than I would have thought of staying but should be easy enough to get into the city from there. Also make sure you get down to Liberty State Park for the Statue of Liberty.

I'm hoping to be in Nevada Smith's for the Scotland game on Saturday but think I'll have to work as it looks like it's gonna be decent weather.

Looking into getting there for the derby as well, should be bringing a few random English folk if I am there. I'll be the one with the Brits abroad!

• 3 weeks later...
Guess The Crowd
Whereabout in Clifton are you staying? I'm just up the road from there. It's a wee bit further than I would have thought of staying but should be easy enough to get into the city from there. Also make sure you get down to Liberty State Park for the Statue of Liberty.

I'm hoping to be in Nevada Smith's for the Scotland game on Saturday but think I'll have to work as it looks like it's gonna be decent weather.

Looking into getting there for the derby as well, should be bringing a few random English folk if I am there. I'll be the one with the Brits abroad!

I was in any case going to provide a post-visit update, thanking the various contibutors to this thread, but I have just noticed this, which was posted after my departure.

We stayed at La Quinta, which as you probably know is on the '3' highway near the town of Nutley, not quite as far out as Clifton. My daughter wanted a hotel with a pool, and this fitted the bill, it seems you get a bit more for your money the further out of NY you get. It was good with a nice wee pub called Emerald Corner nearby and there was also another bigger, busier place called Shannon Rose (why does every single pub in the NY need to class itself as Irish?). The bus journey took 30-45 minutes, depending on time of day.

We did Liberty Island / Ellis Island, and also the tour of World Trade Centre complete with eye-witness / survivor account, real lump-in-the-throat stuff.

Also the obvious touristy stuff like Empire State Building and Central Park, and definite favourite area was Greenwich Village.

Found Nevada Smiths for Scotland-Norway (prior to NJ trip) then, once back in the Milford (which was fine - good location) went back there 9am the following Sunday for the derby, only to discover that it was only showing delayed transmission 3 hours later! Had to rely on blackberry for full-time score, happy with the draw.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip (also a nice pub near the Milford on 45th St - guess what, it was Irish, called O'Lunney's), so thanks again to contributors on here

I just unearthed some video clips from my first visit to NY in 1992 and it starts on the top floor of one of the WTC buildings. Other clips show the WTC from the outside. Spooky to think what happened to the 2 buildings.

Archived