4-3-3 the way forward?

Martin_T

I suggested this on another thread, but thought it merits it's own one. I think this may have been mentioned before on the forum by Peanut as well. 4-3-3 in my opinion, is best suited to the players we have available, take the following team:

..........................Kello

Thomson....Zaliukas......Berra........Wallace

...........Stewart....Jonsson.....Paluzuelos

Mikoluinas..............Nade.....................Driver

With the likes of Obua and Cesnauskis competing for the wide positions. Kingston and Aguiar for central midfield. Tullberg with Nade for central forward and Karipidis and Rapnik for defensive positions. There is both balance (4 left footed players in Berra, Wallace, Paluzeulos and Driver) and attacking threat in that team.

Captain Lithuania
I suggested this on another thread, but thought it merits it's own one. I think this may have been mentioned before on the forum by Peanut as well. 4-3-3 in my opinion, is best suited to the players we have available, take the following team:

With the likes of Obua and Cesnauskis competing for the wide positions. Kingston and Aguiar for central midfield. Tullberg with Nade for central forward and Karipidis and Rapnik for defensive positions. There is both balance (4 left footed players in Berra, Wallace, Paluzeulos and Driver) and attacking threat in that team.

Miko is a midfielder, and also Driver, and do you think Nade would last 90 minutes?

Why don't you run 2 parallel seasons on footie manager Martin? one using 4-3-3 formation and the other using 4-4-1-1 and tell us the results?

EDIT: Using the same squad of players available.

Miko is a midfielder, and also Driver, and do you think Nade would last 90 minutes?

Miko and Driver are wingers. The Dutch have played this formation for years as a 4-3-3 with two wingers making the 4-3-3. In this formation we would have Cesnauskis, Obua, Kingston and Glen as options for players who can play wide of a central striker. Tullberg or Mole to come on for Nade when he tires.

In my opinion, the above formation makes best use of current resources.

Miko and Driver are wingers. The Dutch have played this formation for years as a 4-3-3 with two wingers making the 4-3-3. In this formation we would have Cesnauskis, Obua, Kingston and Glen as options for players who can play wide of a central striker. Tullberg or Mole to come on for Nade when he tires.

In my opinion, the above formation makes best use of current resources.

Why don't you write to Csaba with your concerns Martin? you never know he might actually answer them?

Looks like a 4-5-1 to me.

We are talking about totally different quality of players here, but is it 4-5-1 when Holland play with Robben and Van Persie wide of Van Nistelrooy? Or when Barcelona played with Messi and Ronaldinho wide of Eto'o? In the formation as I would have it set up, Miko and Driver would play directly up against their full backs, wide of Nade.

4-4-1-1 is more 4-5-1 than the formation I have suggested would be.

Ginger God Is Back

Hey Martin.....Im just having a wee chuckle to myself...surely you arent comparing us to Holland or Barcelona..

Quite frankly at this moment in time I couldnt care less what we play..although a gay abandon of 4-2-4....would be a laugh....:)

Captain Lithuania
We are talking about totally different quality of players here, but is it 4-5-1 when Holland play with Robben and Van Persie wide of Van Nistelrooy? Or when Barcelona played with Messi and Ronaldinho wide of Eto'o? In the formation as I would have it set up, Miko and Driver would play directly up against their full backs, wide of Nade.

4-4-1-1 is more 4-5-1 than the formation I have suggested would be.

Robben, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o.. None of them are anywhere near our players in terms of skill.

Robben, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o.. None of them are anywhere near our players in terms of skill.

Never suggested that though did I? What I am saying is the shape and set up of the team could be similar and that it is more 4-3-3 than 4-5-1.

Are you happy with 4-4-1-1?

Captain Lithuania
Never suggested that though did I? What I am saying is the shape and set up of the team could be similar and that it is more 4-3-3 than 4-5-1.

Are you happy with 4-4-1-1?

You can't use the shape if the players aren't capable.

Hey Martin.....Im just having a wee chuckle to myself...surely you arent comparing us to Holland or Barcelona..

Quite frankly at this moment in time I couldnt care less what we play..although a gay abandon of 4-2-4....would be a laugh....:)

Nope and I never did that did I? Hence 'obviously we are talking about a totally different quality of players'. Otherwise read my response to supporter1874's post.

Incidently, Motherwell who comfortably finished third last season, played 4-3-3 with Clarkson and McCormack playing wide of Porter.

You can't use the shape if the players aren't capable.

Driver and Mikoluinas are as capable as any wide player out-with the Old Firm. What formation and team would you have us set up with?

Captain Lithuania
Driver and Mikoluinas are as capable as any wide player out-with the Old Firm. What formation and team would you have us set up with?

Simple 4 4 2

Holland play 4-3-3 with only Ruud as the striker.I think the formation looks good as it has to wingers who can score goals and 3 solid midfield players.What we need though is two good fullbacks.

Holland play 4-3-3 with only Ruud as the striker.I think the formation looks good as it has to wingers who can score goals and 3 solid midfield players.What we need though is two good fullbacks.

I agree.

Its the type of formation which suits going forward fast, but packs the midfield out when we dont have the ball, something we need to do.

The only problem is, the 3 man midfield could, if the two wide players dont track back, expose our frailties at full back. But that happens now anyway...

On the "comparing us to Barca etc" thing, we're not playing in a league anywhere near the standard of theirs, therefore the players needed to make the formation work arent of as high a standard.

4-4-1-1 doesnt seem to be working too well at times. A change is needed and do we really have the personnel to play 4-4-2?

As much as I like Csaba as a guy, I really hope he has a long, hard think about his tactics and formations for the rest of the season.

We don't have great players like Hartley and Skacel anymore, but we still have enough in the squad to rustle up a 4-4-2 or a 4-3(up yours)-3; especially at home.

Buffalo Bill

As much as I like Csaba as a guy, I really hope he has a long, hard think about his tactics and formations for the rest of the season.

We don't have great players like Hartley and Skacel anymore, but we still have enough in the squad to rustle up a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-3; especially at home.

Buffalo Bill

BB, the SFA dont like us.

Its time to come to terms with the fact that they will NOT allow us to play with 12 players.

I'd also like to add that 4-4-1-1 is fine by me, for as long as the team are attacking through the midfield and generally playing well, and with purpose to score.

But Hearts have been rank in their last few matches.

Buffalo Bill

BB, the SFA dont like us.

Its time to come to terms with the fact that they will NOT allow us to play with 12 players.

Dunno what you're on about. :eek:

Have another look.

Buffalo Bill

Dunno what you're on about. :eek:

Have another look.

Buffalo Bill

:laugh:

I made sure I quoted the original to defend against your impending edit.

:laugh:

I made sure I quoted the original to defend against your impending edit.

It's beacuse '443' was my old Saugton Mains phone code.

I just can't shake it, Baby.

Buffalo Bill

You know fine well what players, I'm not wasting any more time here.

Eh? I don't know you from Adam, so how the feck am I supposed to know what players you'd pick in your favoured formation? :eek:

It's pretty much a 4-5-1.

Our defence (full backs in particular) are so bad defensivley, they need a lot of cover from the midfield. If the wide players are pushed too far forward, any opposition team would need to just play 5 accross the middle and have them press our defence whenever they got the ball and we'd lose it practically every time. The midfield would be over-run and the forwards too isolated up front to have any impact.

I don't think this formation would work with the players we have. I reckon 4-4-2 is the way to go.

Our defence (full backs in particular) are so bad defensivley, they need a lot of cover from the midfield. If the wide players are pushed too far forward, any opposition team would need to just play 5 accross the middle and have them press our defence whenever they got the ball and we'd lose it practically every time. The midfield would be over-run and the forwards too isolated up front to have any impact.

I don't think this formation would work with the players we have. I reckon 4-4-2 is the way to go.

The thing with a 4-3-3 is that if the right players are used, it can change quickly to a 4-5-1 when you are defending. I dont know if we have these players though.

But with a 4-4-1-1 our ful backs are still exposed. At least one of our wingers is not tracking back, and the man in the hole does not drop back to pack out the midfield when necessary.

We need a Cammazzola IMO. Aguiar?

The People's Chimp

I'd tend to agree; the lack of quality in our defence currently, and the ease with which we allow teams to score goals, suggests to me we need to go 4-4-2, press teams and defend from the front.

The People's Chimp
The thing with a 4-3-3 is that if the right players are used, it can change quickly to a 4-5-1 when you are defending. I dont know if we have these players though.

But with a 4-4-1-1 our ful backs are still exposed. At least one of our wingers is not tracking back, and the man in the hole does not drop back to pack out the midfield when necessary.

We need a Cammazzola IMO. Aguiar?

I'd say that what we really need is a brellier. Or indeed an Eggert Jonsson back in the middle.

Neilson coming back will be a big boost for us.

I think it could work in my opinion. Although I would possibly consider Kingston in the middle of midfield and see how he performs.

Also would consider Miko and Chesney as the wingers. I know some won't agree but I really think having them in the same team could really be positive.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Could be a good shout. Three central midfielders should equal more possession in midfield, which would make itn easier to supply the wide men/striker.

The extra man in midfield would allow the wingers and at least one of the other central midfielders more licence to get forward and support. Just now, whoever is in the whole seems to be the only player woth instructions to do so.

Robbo used the same formation against the Huns with Miko and Chesney on the wings with Miller through the middle and we were tearing them up at times.

Jonnson....Zaliukas......Berra........Wallace

..............Stewart.....Paluzuelos

...............Mikoluinas

..............Nade.....................Tullberg

..............Stewart.....Paluzuelos

..............Nade.....................Tullberg

Do you really believe our squad is good enough to play with 10 players?

rudi must stay

would be fine in mid-table games. If we played that against the OF though we'd get ripped apart IMO

Kello

Jonsson -- Zaliukas -- Berra -- Wallace

Stewart -- Aguiar -- Palazuelos

<-- Mole -- Tullberg -- Glen -->

MOLE ???? seriously ????

Do you really believe our squad is good enough to play with 10 players?

what i meant was:

..............Stewart.....Paluzuelos...........driver

..............Nade/glen.....................Tullberg

Archived