Judging the manager over the first 11 games

vegas-voss

That's a phrase i have seen a lot on here since Csaba's appointment but surely the real judgement should come in the 11 after to see how he can overcome previously bad results.Regardless of wages teams 3 to 12 in this league can beat any other in this division as has been shown so far.I just think that Csaba desrves the chance to properly feel out each opposition before we go overboard.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
That's a phrase i have seen a lot on here since Csaba's appointment but surely the real judgement should come in the 11 after to see how he can overcome previously bad results.Regardless of wages teams 3 to 12 in this league can beat any other in this division as has been shown so far.I just think that Csaba desrves the chance to properly feel out each opposition before we go overboard.

My feelings already are that he is genuinely decent guy, a real character from his touchline performances certainly, but we will never know how good he really could be because Vladimir Romanov still has to much influence and that will always be the case whilst this man is connected with our club.

'Feeling out' the opposition is not the problem.

The problem is he has not improved the team from last season and that was imperative.

Sticking with Jamie Mole for 8 matches has been a huge mistake.

Signing the Pole from FBK when we needed a LB and a striker was another mistake.

Continuing to play No.29 is another mistake.

Sheriff Fatman
'Feeling out' the opposition is not the problem.

The problem is he has not improved the team from last season and that was imperative.

Sticking with Jamie Mole for 8 matches has been a huge mistake.

Signing the Pole from FBK when we needed a LB and a striker was another mistake.

Continuing to play No.29 is another mistake.

If we really want to see an improvent we have to give Csaba time to build from the bottom up. If that takes a couple of seasons so be it. Why is we think we should get instant success?

Exactly who would you have put in place of Mole, all the other strikers were injured.

I can't say whether the Pole is a mistake or not, as I haven't seen him play. Signing a LB and another striker would have been great, but what if there were not any that Csaba thought were of sufficient quality for the sort of mnney he had to spend? Personally I would have thought less of him if he simply brought in any old player to cover those positions, I would rather give him time to get the players he wants.

If we really want to see an improvent we have to give Csaba time to build from the bottom up. If that takes a couple of seasons so be it. Why is we think we should get instant success?

Exactly who would you have put in place of Mole, all the other strikers were injured.

I can't say whether the Pole is a mistake or not, as I haven't seen him play. Signing a LB and another striker would have been great, but what if there were not any that Csaba thought were of sufficient quality for the sort of mnney he had to spend? Personally I would have thought less of him if he simply brought in any old player to cover those positions, I would rather give him time to get the players he wants.

If he didn't realise after only 2 days after his arrival that we needed strikers and a LB the he shouldn't be in the job.

And if he was working to such a strict budget then he should have reconsidered signing 2 goalies when we already had 3.

Csaba had 6 weeks to sign the right players and he didn't.

I said at the start of the season that he deserves one season to rid us of the dead wood, bring in /develop our own players, learn the scottish scene and method of play.

Next season I would expect improvement especially as we will be rid of a couple more of the high earners who are a waste of time and resources (Makela/Beslija anyone)

Then he can start to be judged properly -- subject to of course to the fact being that he does pick and decide all of the team (that is still open to question)

However it will not excuse bad decisions this season being criticised -- and there have to be questions over formation and selection of some players.

I am at a loss to explain why Gary Glen has not started a few games this season -- at the end of last season many of us thought here was a young player who had a chance -- especially in a position we are dying out for.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
If he didn't realise after only 2 days after his arrival that we needed strikers and a LB the he shouldn't be in the job.

And if he was working to such a strict budget then he should have reconsidered signing 2 goalies when we already had 3.

The last manager to come in and say "this squad is crap" was George Burley, he was then given funds to buy some quality players and get rid of the dross.

That is never going to happen again whilst Romanov is here.

We are not asking as a support for ridiculous sums to be spent. We just want an experienced managers appraisal of the squad to be respected and action taken.

It's pointless debating all this.

We are not a "normal" football club and will not be for the forseeable future.

The last manager to come in and say "this squad is crap" was George Burley, he was then given funds to buy some quality players and get rid of the dross.

That is never going to happen again whilst Romanov is here.

We are not asking as a support for ridiculous sums to be spent. We just want an experienced managers appraisal of the squad to be respected and action taken.

It's pointless debating all this.

We are not a "normal" football club and will not be for the forseeable future.

I agree.

We signed a striker and a left back. Both of them injured, but we did sign them..... ;)

We signed a striker and a left back. Both of them injured, but we did sign them..... ;)

Is Obua a LB ?

And 1 new striker was never, ever going to be enough.

He did say we needed front men but that it was hard for him to get them because of cost.We have a striker in waiting though in Glen and why he does not play him i have no idea.

Why do we keep signing injured players? Why can't we sign some who are fit and able to play??

Sheriff Fatman

Again with the demanding instant results. It takes time to build a sustainably good team, Ferguson took years at Man United to build his team. Csaba probably does know that we need a LB and another striker (you seem to be ignoring that he did get one). He also though we needed goalkeepers. He found goalkeepers of the quality that he wanted for the money he had available, he maybe hasn't found the lB and striker he want's yet. That's noit to say in was one or the other, maybe he has the money for all three but isn't willing to waste that money on players he doen't feel are worth it simply for the sake of it.

I like most others were impressed by Csaba's entheusiasm when he first took over, though I dont think it would have taken much to get the spirits up. But as the weeks go by I cant help but think he's just a windbag thats full of hot air. To a man we can see we're playing a number of players out of position (does anyone truely believe Karapidis a better midfielder than Jonsson or Ruben), playing others who are woefully out of form (ie Kingston, Wallace ) or in some case just not good enough (No 29, Mole).

The last couple of games have also shown him to be tactically inept, he does not seen to have a plan B never mind C, we just plodded on & on last week with little or no creativity & today it was blatenly obvious that we should have taken off Mole & 29 at half time instesd he waits to the second goal is scored & the game is over. I

I dont expect miracles but feel we are still not making the best of what we've got, the jury is well & truely out.

Why do we keep signing injured players? Why can't we sign some who are fit and able to play??

Obua was not injured when we signed him and Csaba obviously thought highly enough of Tullbeg tosign him.

Is Obua a LB ?

And 1 new striker was never, ever going to be enough.

I don't totally disagree with you. Obua allegedly plays occasionally at LB. We need a proper one, though. Tullberg's an unknown, but hopefully will come good. Writing our current batch of strikers off now is a mistake though, IMO.

We seem to have a few strikers at the moment that - were they combined into one player - would be incredible for this 4-4-1-1 formation that seems to be the only constant in our team. Nade can skin a man, Makela has a great strike rate at previous clubs and Mole works his socks off. Surely those individual talents could be made better use of if we could employ a formation that suited what we have rather than what we wish we had.

I like most others were impressed by Csaba's entheusiasm when he first took over, though I dont think it would have taken much to get the spirits up. But as the weeks go by I cant help but think he's just a windbag thats full of hot air. To a man we can see we're playing a number of players out of position (does anyone truely believe Karapidis a better midfielder than Jonsson or Ruben), playing others who are woefully out of form (ie Kingston, Wallace ) or in some case just not good enough (No 29, Mole).

The last couple of games have also shown him to be tactically inept, he does not seen to have a plan B never mind C, we just plodded on & on last week with little or no creativity & today it was blatenly obvious that we should have taken off Mole & 29 at half time instesd he waits to the second goal is scored & the game is over. I

I dont expect miracles but feel we are still not making the best of what we've got, the jury is well & truely out.

I honestly think wether we like it or not Mole is playing exactly how Csaba wants him to play it's the player behind breaking into the box that ain't right.

I honestly think wether we like it or not Mole is playing exactly how Csaba wants him to play it's the player behind breaking into the box that ain't right.

But is the way Csaba wants to play the right way?

Again with the demanding instant results. It takes time to build a sustainably good team, Ferguson took years at Man United to build his team.

We are 6 matches into the new season and, as far as I'm concerned, the peformences are no better than last season.

If Csaba is indeed 'the man' as many people think then surely there should be some improvement in our play ?

Csaba probably does know that we need a LB and another striker (you seem to be ignoring that he did get one). He also though we needed goalkeepers. He found goalkeepers of the quality that he wanted for the money he had available, he maybe hasn't found the lB and striker he want's yet. That's noit to say in was one or the other, maybe he has the money for all three but isn't willing to waste that money on players he doen't feel are worth it simply for the sake of it.

I haven't ignored the fact we signed a striker but we needed more than 1 - we needed 3.

All his efforts should have been on sorting out this position as normally it's the quality in this area which wins you matches.

Instead we signed 2 goalies - giving us 5 in total.

There is an imbalance in the squad with certain areas being overloaded with players yet other areas being left very short to say the least.

Having only 1 LB is criminal for a SPL club.

I am afraid that the longer Mole starts matches then my opinion of CL will slide. However, with Nade fitter and Tullberg getting some game time in as well, I expect (hope) his first choice/s forwards to change soon.

A lot of hysteria and short-sightedness on the forum this weekend - yes we got thumped at tannadice, yes it wasn't enjoyable and further highlighted a some deficiencies but the expectation for instant solutions to all problems is unrealistic - we have played better to watch football in most games and achieved better results than we were getting last season as the league position shows .. at no point last season were we third nevermind top half very much......Csaba is doing more things right with the players he has available than he is doing wrong in my opinion.

heartgarfunkel

I found his comments about Bobby Williamson and Uganda's defeat quite revolting for the following reasons:

1. You are now the manager of the Heart of Mid-lothian, so why are you talking about another manager and your ex-employer.

2. Any manager who presides over a home defeat to lower league opposition such as Airdrie, who were down to 10 men, is in NO position to pass comment on any other fellow professional. Maybe Robbo was right to kick the slaverer?

The huge advantage Burley had was that he arrived to a squad which was threadbare but had a strong core of Scottish internationals through the spine. It is far easier to get the team playing as you want when you get the chance to genuinely build it.

Csaba by contrast inherited a large squad, low on confidence and with far too many players of exactly the same calibre and with the same weaknesses - how many midfielders do we have who are weak in the tackle? How many strikers do we have who are poor in the air? How many wingers do we have who are not that good at crossing? How many FBs do we have who can either defend but not attack or attack but not defend?

We have to be prepared to give this manager time as he doesn't have the budget to bring in the quality he might like to, and it doesn't look like anyone wants to buy our remaining players plus it is too expensive to get rid of the deadwood.

I think he is making the most of what he's got. I was happy with Glen when he was brought into a poor team and scored some goals in the bottom-6 shootout but it is too much to expect him to carry this team for this season. We wwould end up with another Elliot on our hands if we did this. Mole is older and has been getting his chance. I DO think he needs a strikepartner who plays from more than 2 minutes a game (Ksanavicius) but I think the lad is doing ok apart from not getting into the box enough.

portobellojambo1

I have no problem with Giving Csaba Laszlo a full season, and then making a judgement, however I am not the man pulling the strings at Tynecastle, and suspect he may not get that time.

Romanov may be looking for a quick fix, but continually changing the man in charge is not going to make the team better, if manager after manager inherits the same bunch of players.

Unless any manager is given a free hand with regards to team matters, i.e. he says x, y and z are sheeit, I need these players to strengthen, we will continue to struggle in the area which to me is most important to any reasonably successful football club, on the park.

As football fans we are fickle, and I include myself in that. A bad performance doesn't seem nearly so bad, if at the end of the day we pick up 3 points from the game. We have managed that 4 times this season, and are sitting 3rd. As has been said on another thread last night it is not fantasy that we could have failed to win the games we have won, and actually be in a position much closer to the wrong end of the league.

But the bad performances are still there, and when we are exposed, as we were yesterday at Tannadice, it becomes frighteningly obvious, and the end result is we tumble, very easily, and without appearing to care.

I am not convinced Laszlo will turn that round, or at least not with the present squad of players. That is where the changes need to be made, and I do not think we need to spend top dollar to achieve it.

The huge advantage Burley had was that he arrived to a squad which was threadbare but had a strong core of Scottish internationals through the spine. It is far easier to get the team playing as you want when you get the chance to genuinely build it.

Csaba by contrast inherited a large squad, low on confidence and with far too many players of exactly the same calibre and with the same weaknesses - how many midfielders do we have who are weak in the tackle? How many strikers do we have who are poor in the air? How many wingers do we have who are not that good at crossing? How many FBs do we have who can either defend but not attack or attack but not defend?

We have to be prepared to give this manager time as he doesn't have the budget to bring in the quality he might like to, and it doesn't look like anyone wants to buy our remaining players plus it is too expensive to get rid of the deadwood.

I think he is making the most of what he's got. I was happy with Glen when he was brought into a poor team and scored some goals in the bottom-6 shootout but it is too much to expect him to carry this team for this season. We wwould end up with another Elliot on our hands if we did this. Mole is older and has been getting his chance. I DO think he needs a strikepartner who plays from more than 2 minutes a game (Ksanavicius) but I think the lad is doing ok apart from not getting into the box enough.

What is it he's doing that rates him ok in your book ?

Is he holding the ball up well and bringing midfielders into play ?

Is he bring the ball down, turning and running at defenders ?

Is he shooting at every opportunity ?

Or is he simply putting on a jersey and running and running and running and running ?

I found his comments about Bobby Williamson and Uganda's defeat quite revolting for the following reasons:

1. You are now the manager of the Heart of Mid-lothian, so why are you talking about another manager and your ex-employer.

2. Any manager who presides over a home defeat to lower league opposition such as Airdrie, who were down to 10 men, is in NO position to pass comment on any other fellow professional. Maybe Robbo was right to kick the slaverer?

The Ugandan FA had no bones about slating Csaba when he left even though they hadn't even paid him and were in breach of contract. The Ugandan FA then hailed Williamson, even though they were only giving him a 2 match probation (possibly again due to money). Plus Williamson is an ex-hobo so who cares.

If we get 6 wins from 11, which is possible with home games V Killie and Aberdeen to come in the next few weeks, I think that will represent a good start to the season in the circumstances. Anything from Hibs away and Celtic at Home will be a bonus. 18 points from 33 will probably have us sitting 4th or 5th at worst.

What is it he's doing that rates him ok in your book ?

Is he holding the ball up well and bringing midfielders into play ?

Is he bring the ball down, turning and running at defenders ?

Is he shooting at every opportunity ?

Or is he simply putting on a jersey and running and running and running and running ?

Do you expect him to be the perfect striker at age 20? If he were able to do all the things you list he'd be pushing Drgoba for a starting position at Chelsea FFS!

Look at the player and observe what his game is like rather than looking at the formation and demand that he has to do what he'd have to do to perfect it.

Mole's game is about mobility. HIs link-up play is pretty good but he is too often isolated and being played 2 on 1. Still he manages to win a respectable number of headers (unlike Elliot) - just there is nobody there to follow-up. He tackles more than some of our midfielders. He tracks back more than some of our midfielders. My one complaint about him is that he is not getting into the box enough - he is over-dong the working for the team and neglecting what is effectively his primary role. If the management are not telling him this then we do have a problem I concede but one of the reasons we are winning games by the odd goal this season rather than losing them like last year is that Mole, Stewart, Jonnson and Miko (yes Miko!) are working their asses off.

Do you expect him to be the perfect striker at age 20? If he were able to do all the things you list he'd be pushing Drgoba for a starting position at Chelsea FFS!

Look at the player and observe what his game is like rather than looking at the formation and demand that he has to do what he'd have to do to perfect it.

Mole's game is about mobility. HIs link-up play is pretty good but he is too often isolated and being played 2 on 1. Still he manages to win a respectable number of headers (unlike Elliot) - just there is nobody there to follow-up. He tackles more than some of our midfielders. He tracks back more than some of our midfielders. My one complaint about him is that he is not getting into the box enough - he is over-dong the working for the team and neglecting what is effectively his primary role. If the management are not telling him this then we do have a problem I concede but one of the reasons we are winning games by the odd goal this season rather than losing them like last year is that Mole, Stewart, Jonnson and Miko (yes Miko!) are working their asses off.

I did not say he should be the perfect striker.

But when your lone striker is not a goalscorer and hasn't been for Hearts, QOS or Livingston then he has to at least be able to control the ball, bringing the midfielders into the game or get the ball, turn, beat a defender and have a shot.

Mobility is useless if you lack the basic skills to play football.

heartgarfunkel
The Ugandan FA had no bones about slating Csaba when he left even though they hadn't even paid him and were in breach of contract. The Ugandan FA then hailed Williamson, even though they were only giving him a 2 match probation (possibly again due to money). Plus Williamson is an ex-hobo so who cares.

I care - that's why I posted.:) Cheers

Archived