Paul Newman RIP (merged threads)

belly

Great actor. Butch Cassidy etc, Cool Hand Luke,Long hot summer,The Sting, The Hustler and Towering Inferno. Great films that you can watch over and over again. He'll be missed no doubt. Sad to see him go:sad:

The Towering Inferno, along with The Great Escape was one of the very few things in life that brought me close to my dad; as he had both on VHS in the 80s, and I'd lose count of the times where we'd watch one or the other on an otherwise dull Saturday night in Livingston.

The link here is Steve McQueen, but Newman was also fantastic in the former.

One should never underestimate the power of great acting, and film. A great performance can inspire, and I guess Newman was one of those guys. That's what I'm remembering tonight anyway.

Buffalo Bill

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

He was never a favourite actor of mine but he made some great films.

I did not think his great "rival" Steve McQueen was a better actor, but I thought McQueen was more natural whereas a lot of Newman was contrived and affected "cool".

He was brave to make a film like "Hud" so early in his career and in such an era. He truly was an evil man in that film. He is to be admired for taking a chance in a film about such a disreputable character

However, Newman's performance in "The Verdict" was shattering and easily the best thing he ever did. He deserved an award for that certainly.

A great star certainly, but I do not think he was that "great" an actor.

But he certainly put his name to many of the best films ever made.

Great actor. Butch Cassidy etc, Cool Hand Luke,Long hot summer,The Sting, The Hustler and Towering Inferno. Great films that you can watch over and over again. He'll be missed no doubt. Sad to see him go:sad:

Those are about my favourite films of his as well.

Cool Hand Luke is brilliant.

heartgarfunkel

Newman was a very, very, good actor, and in his time on earth, seems to have done quite a lot of good for his fellow co-habitants.

As a confirmed hetero, I think I can gayferly say that he was surely one of the best-looking men of the silver screen. [filter edit] birds think that **** Robbie Williams is the paragon of tidy, fit, stunnin', or whatever ****e they come out with these days, but the likes of Newman in his prime genuinely deserved any poontang that flung themselves at them.

RIP Butch, thanks for the great salad dressing

Professor.Arturo

Slap Shot.....one of his best

Slap Shot.....one of his best

You know, your son looks like a fag to me.

You better get re-married again, or he's gonna have someone's ****** in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson.

Brilliant. :biggrin:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

As for my own tribute I think I will watch The Sting tonight.

A real life enhancing film.

Contains one of the greatest scenes in cinema where Gondorf (Newman) cheats Robert Shaw at cards.

A dream of a film, so funny, all the actors just brilliant.

Thanks for all the laughs, Paul.

Archived