British identity cards will be covered in EU symbols

maroonlegions

Motors | Jobs | Property | Dating | Wine | Feedback | E-editions

Friday, September 26 2008 This Afternoon 19?C Sunny This Evening 8?C Clear Night 5-Day Forecast

By Matthew Hickley

Last updated at 12:39 AM on 26th September 2008

* commentsComments (209)

* Add to My Stories Add to My Stories

Britain's first identity card in more than half a century was unveiled yesterday - and turned out to be covered in EU symbols to satisfy Brussels.:rolleyes:

The plastic card, which will be issued to foreign citizens in Britain starting in November, marks the first stage in the Government's ambitious scheme to issue biometric ID cards to all UK residents at a cost of billions of pounds.:eek:

But serious questions remain over whether the system will work or bring any practical benefits, and doubts were underlined yesterday as the Conservatives pledged to scrap the entire venture if they win the next General Election.:rolleyes:

identity card

ID cards have finally been unveiled - with plenty of EU symbols to satisfy Brussels

Foreigners issued with the cards will not have to show them to get a job or use services such as the NHS and schools, and it remains unclear if or when public services or private firms will install computerised scanners to make use of the costly biometric technology.

The card revealed by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith yesterday features a picture of a bull above EU- style golden stars, while the coloured background is made up of hundreds of tiny letters spelling 'EU'. The bull is a European Union symbol drawn from Greek mythology.;)

Last night the Home Office admitted that British ID cards had to follow a common design as set out in a Brussels directive to ensure that every card issued by EU states looks similar.

Each card, which will cost ?30, carries unique biometric data in the form of a photograph and the individual's fingerprints stored digitally.

Miss Smith said up to 60,000 cards will be distributed by next March to non-EU foreign citizens resident in Britain as they renew their visas. These cardswill be compulsory.

Ministers hope the first cards for British citizens, featuring a slightly different design, will be issued next year, starting with workers in sensitive locations such as ' airside' staff at UK airports. These will also be compulsory, but airport operators and unions object strongly, and could yet scupper the plans.

From 2010 the Government will encourage all young Britons to apply for a card on a voluntary basis, extending the scheme to all citizens and foreign residents from 2011.

Enlarge p19graphic.jpg

x

Ministers hope that when enough people have cards Parliament will agree to make them compulsory.

They claim the scheme will cost ?4.7billion in its first ten years, although that does not include the substantial cost of installing scanners at huge numbers of sites including NHS clinics, town halls and benefits offices to check identities and entitlements.

Miss Smith insisted the cards would protect against identity fraud, illegal working, and help people prove their identity easily.

Critics claim the failure to make the cards universal for foreign citizens makes a mockery of the supposed security benefits.

Shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve dismissed the entire scheme as an 'expensive white elephant' which should be ditched.

He said: 'Ministers are kidding themselves if they think ID cards for foreign nationals will protect against illegal immigration or terrorism.'

Liberal Democrat spokesman Chris Huhne said: 'It does not matter how fancy the design is, ID cards remain a grotesque intrusion on the liberty of the British people.

'The Government is using vulnerable members of our society, like foreign nationals who do not have the vote, as guinea pigs for a deeply unpopular and unworkable policy.

'When voting adults are forced to carry ID cards, this scheme will prove to be a laminated poll tax.'

They claim the scheme will cost ?4.7billion in its first ten years,:eek: although that does not include the substantial cost of installing scanners at huge numbers of sites including NHS clinics:eek: town halls and benefits offices to check identities and entitlements.

So why not put the ?4.7billion into the NHS, affordable housing and new schools and when you look at the amount of identity theft that has and still is happening then what kind of info will the criminals get on these cards for the criminals will find a way around it some how , just plane scary and possibly another stepping stone to the big brother state( couldn't resist that):107years:

Motors | Jobs | Property | Dating | Wine | Feedback | E-editions

Friday, September 26 2008 This Afternoon 19?C Sunny This Evening 8?C Clear Night 5-Day Forecast

By Matthew Hickley

Last updated at 12:39 AM on 26th September 2008

* commentsComments (209)

* Add to My Stories Add to My Stories

Britain's first identity card in more than half a century was unveiled yesterday - and turned out to be covered in EU symbols to satisfy Brussels.:rolleyes:

The plastic card, which will be issued to foreign citizens in Britain starting in November, marks the first stage in the Government's ambitious scheme to issue biometric ID cards to all UK residents at a cost of billions of pounds.:eek:

But serious questions remain over whether the system will work or bring any practical benefits, and doubts were underlined yesterday as the Conservatives pledged to scrap the entire venture if they win the next General Election.:rolleyes:

identity card

ID cards have finally been unveiled - with plenty of EU symbols to satisfy Brussels

Foreigners issued with the cards will not have to show them to get a job or use services such as the NHS and schools, and it remains unclear if or when public services or private firms will install computerised scanners to make use of the costly biometric technology.

The card revealed by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith yesterday features a picture of a bull above EU- style golden stars, while the coloured background is made up of hundreds of tiny letters spelling 'EU'. The bull is a European Union symbol drawn from Greek mythology.;)

Last night the Home Office admitted that British ID cards had to follow a common design as set out in a Brussels directive to ensure that every card issued by EU states looks similar.

Each card, which will cost ?30, carries unique biometric data in the form of a photograph and the individual's fingerprints stored digitally.

Miss Smith said up to 60,000 cards will be distributed by next March to non-EU foreign citizens resident in Britain as they renew their visas. These cardswill be compulsory.

Ministers hope the first cards for British citizens, featuring a slightly different design, will be issued next year, starting with workers in sensitive locations such as ' airside' staff at UK airports. These will also be compulsory, but airport operators and unions object strongly, and could yet scupper the plans.

From 2010 the Government will encourage all young Britons to apply for a card on a voluntary basis, extending the scheme to all citizens and foreign residents from 2011.

Enlarge p19graphic.jpg

x

Ministers hope that when enough people have cards Parliament will agree to make them compulsory.

They claim the scheme will cost ?4.7billion in its first ten years, although that does not include the substantial cost of installing scanners at huge numbers of sites including NHS clinics, town halls and benefits offices to check identities and entitlements.

Miss Smith insisted the cards would protect against identity fraud, illegal working, and help people prove their identity easily.

Critics claim the failure to make the cards universal for foreign citizens makes a mockery of the supposed security benefits.

Shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve dismissed the entire scheme as an 'expensive white elephant' which should be ditched.

He said: 'Ministers are kidding themselves if they think ID cards for foreign nationals will protect against illegal immigration or terrorism.'

Liberal Democrat spokesman Chris Huhne said: 'It does not matter how fancy the design is, ID cards remain a grotesque intrusion on the liberty of the British people.

'The Government is using vulnerable members of our society, like foreign nationals who do not have the vote, as guinea pigs for a deeply unpopular and unworkable policy.

'When voting adults are forced to carry ID cards, this scheme will prove to be a laminated poll tax.'

They claim the scheme will cost ?4.7billion in its first ten years,:eek: although that does not include the substantial cost of installing scanners at huge numbers of sites including NHS clinics:eek: town halls and benefits offices to check identities and entitlements.

So why not put the ?4.7billion into the NHS, affordable housing and new schools and when you look at the amount of identity theft that has and still is happening then what kind of info will the criminals get on these cards for the criminals will find a way around it some how , just plane scary and possibly another stepping stone to the big brother state( couldn't resist that):107years:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/furniture/mastHead_1.gif (here is the link):scared:

What a waste of money :mad:

true, i can picture it now a few of us in our hearts tops and scarves outside Westminster singing ", What a waste of money, What a waste of money":107years:

I'm not getting one, compulsory or not.

good man, i can think of spending my hard earned on better things like, going to see the jambos after a few nice beverages.:)

You'll need to have one in the future. This is just step 1. Next you won't be able to buy anything unless you have an ID card. Then the next step will probably be that the chip will be implanted in your body and can be tracked by the government.

The bottom line is, this is just another step towards complete ownership of our lives.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Let me get this right.

Are they honestly trying to charge ?30 for this piece of sh*t?!

I won't be getting one either I'm afraid.

Let me get this right.

It might stop you getting shot on the tube... :cool_shades:

Sheriff Fatman
As long as it comes along with a Bill of Rights and it says British Citizen not Subject I dont care.

Nobody born in the UK has been classed as a subject since 1949.

I'm not getting one, compulsory or not.

Me neither.

The only problem is, there will come a time when you have to get one just to go about your daily life.

If it comes to the point where you need one to be able to pick up a prescription then I'm fecked and I'll have to give in.

But I'll still do everything I can to disrupt the process.

You'll need to have one in the future. This is just step 1. Next you won't be able to buy anything unless you have an ID card. Then the next step will probably be that the chip will be implanted in your body and can be tracked by the government.

The bottom line is, this is just another step towards complete ownership of our lives.

agree, step 2 is a cashless society were there will be no where to withdraw money from ,a sort of credit on a computer screen, no card no credit to live, basically the computer decides , what better way in controlling the masses, the chip is another nail in our freedoms, it will be linked to a global computer along with a world bank , world army and government , CENTRALISATION OF POWER and decision making is the goal, they have already CENTRALISED The Citizens Advice Bureau in closing 4 out of five out its offices.:eek:

I'll take my chances, Dave.

I've survived two subcrawls in Glasgow - after that getting shot holds no fear for me.

On a serious note though, ID cards are gay.

I've survived two subcrawls in Glasgow - after that getting shot holds no fear for me.

"oh the ID cards are gay".:107years:

Let me get this right.

i believe the full ID card is gonna be more in the region of ?90/

in all seriousness tho, there has to be a line with how much **** we're willing to put up with from politicians. this is mine, when they become compulsory i'll be a vocal & visible oppponent.

i believe the full ID card is gonna be more in the region of ?90/

in all seriousness tho, there has to be a line with how much **** we're willing to put up with from politicians. this is mine, when they become compulsory i'll be a vocal & visible oppponent.

and i will gladly stand along side you mate, "they can stick their fecking ID cards up their a***".:)

Excuse my ignorance, what is a subcrawl?

Excuse my ignorance, what is a subcrawl?

a drink at a pub at every station on the underground in Glasgow - 15 stops in total and some 'interesting' boozers...

Archived