Roy Keane - man to listen to

i8hibsh

Roy Keane pre management to me was just vile. I utterly despised him, then he signed for Celtic and as if I couldn't hate him more - there you go.

However, ever since he retired as a player the guy has chilled out and he has suddenly become a seriously wise man.

I actually respect him now, as a football man.

Anyway to my point, after the Sunderland Northampton Carling cup game midweek he said something in his post match interview that at first annoyed me, then I pondered over it and had a moment of clarity.

He said "this was the dullest night in my career, I expected more from my players and I expected more from the fans" (after scraping by on penalties in a lifeles encounter)

I thought how dare he say that, the players owe the fans, they are the cutomer, they pay the wages etc.

Well it really doesn't work like that. At Tynecastle it has been dire for almost two years. No atmosphere and half baked performances from the players. Well it is time us fans started doing more also. Yes the players let us down, but we as fans are doing something far worse - letting the club down. We go and sit in silence for 90 minutes.

I am as guilty as the next man/woman. I booo, I jeer and I barely sing nowadays.

We need to (regardless of teams performance) start getting right behind our team and singing like our lives depended on it.

what do you say?

Roy Keane pre management to me was just vile. I utterly despised him, then he signed for Celtic and as if I couldn't hate him more - there you go.

However, ever since he retired as a player the guy has chilled out and he has suddenly become a seriously wise man.

Anyway to my point, after the Sunderland Northampton Carling cup game midweek he said something in his post match interview that at first annoyed me, then I pondered over it and had a moment of clarity.

He said "this was the dullest night in my career, I expected more from my players and I expected more from the fans" (after scraping by on penalties in a lifeles encounter)

I thought how dare he say that, the players owe the fans, they are the cutomer, they pay the wages etc.

Well it really doesn't work like that. At Tynecastle it has been dire for almost two years. No atmosphere and half baked performances from the players. Well it is time us fans started doing more also. Yes the players let us down, but we as fans are doing something far worse - letting the club down. We go and sit in silence for 90 minutes.

I am as guilty as the next man/woman. I booo, I jeer and I barely sing nowadays.

We need to (regardless of teams performance) start getting right behind our team and singing like our lives depended on it.

what do you say?

Sure i saw this.Think he was on about fans giving him a bit of verbals and he was pi ssed off about it.

what do you say?

I say it's rather odd that the atmosphere at Tynecastle is as dire as it currently is. Wasn't it supposed to get better now that the thousands of supposed "glory-hunters" have disappeared and we're back to the "real fans"?

Sure i saw this.Think he was on about fans giving him a bit of verbals and he was pi ssed off about it.

Yup on Sky

The guy is seriously wise.

The players deserve the stick BUT THE CLUB DOESN'T

Football is a team effort and we as fans are a huge part of the team.

I realise how hypocritical I am being as I am more depressing than an Eastenders script but I am truly going to start being a better fan, from this day forward

I say it's rather odd that the atmosphere at Tynecastle is as dire as it currently is. Wasn't it supposed to get better now that the thousands of supposed "glory-hunters" have disappeared and we're back to the "real fans"?

The crowds are getting lower and lower (almost Easter Road scale) and I have always said I don't blame the fans. i mean if i didnt have a season ticket i'd stay at home.

BUT THAT IS WRONG!

We are neglecting our club. sod the players - don't do it for them. DO IT FOR THE CLUB

The crowds are getting lower and lower (almost Easter Road scale) and I have always said I don't blame the fans. i mean if i didnt have a season ticket i'd stay at home.

BUT THAT IS WRONG!

We are neglecting our club. sod the players - don't do it for them. DO IT FOR THE CLUB

Loving ure attitude.Im up for a sing song when im peshed other times cant be ersed.Fester road normally good for a sing a long

Tynie is gash for atmosphere now.Last time i can remember it really bouncing was the 3-2 game v Hibs on boxing day?

what a game

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiko!

Sadly teams don't fear seeing Tynecastle on the calander

Do you remember drawing one all with Gretna at home last season, and the 'Gretna players' came out and said "they sensed the atmosphere turn on the Hearts team and they took advantage and scored"

We must be held accountable to that draw just like those wage thieving players

what a game

Do you remember drawing one all with Gretna at home last season, and the 'Gretna players' came out and said "they sensed the atmosphere turn on the Hearts team and they took advantage and scored"

I agree we need to get behind them more.aye im wi u sign me up!!!

He may have matured but he'll still always be the thug that ended Alf-Inge Haaland's career to me.

The guy was a vile pig as a player. But in his entire career he never once stole a wage.

We need a Keane

sod the whole "he's Oirish" if I can push my prejudice to one side for one second, anyone can

what a game

The Boxing Day match was great.

Actually, the atmosphere at the Motherwell game this season was pretty good by the standards of the last two seasons. But that's because it was simply a very exciting match with a great conclusion. The atmosphere just isn't there for most games, and it takes something special to conjure it up.

It's a mixture of wariness, numbness and people just being punch-drunk after the last three years.

I hate saying the whole "2005/2006 season" pash - it's over i know, but the atmosphere was just electric.

Best I have ever experienced. Even better than a Bayern game or a Dortmund game.

It was awesome.

What has changed? the players?yes, the teams attitude? yes,the manager? yes

But the club hasn't, the stadium hasn't and our passion in our Hearts hasn't!!!!

***** the players - if you build it they will come!!!!!

I know it's hard to get excited when we are losing to Inverness or whatever but we need to try harder. Me more than anyone as I score zero points lately for being a fan.

I'm a fan of the club not the players

I will sing for my club

I thought Tynie was pretty good when the 4th went in against Rangers.

loved that game but you we win no prizes for cheering when we are thumping 4 past the hun s*** bags

We need to cheer before, during and after the games. I have even stopped going to 'football boozers' before and after as it is so dull

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Few points:

Keane was actually referring to getting stick from the fans, not the atmoshphere.

The atmosphere at Tynecastle has been pish because we have been messed about more than any other club in the UK. Infact make that Europe.

Still have the 3rd best attendances which speak volumes.

Got to say, I do agree with you. We've got to start getting behind the team from the start and then, if we go a goal behind get behind them even more, make sure that opposition teams know that we're right behind the team and we won't turn on them.

A good atmosphere lifts everyone, the team and the fans. You can count me in.

I was thinking before, what we need is some sort of chant where say, section G sing something, then section N have a reply, or vice versa, and if the other side doesn't reply they get pelters for it.* Kinda keeps up the section G/section N rivalry and hopefully it would build and build as more people join in and you would end with a cacophony of noise coming from both sides. i reckon it would get the place really jumping. Could be as simple as one side chants "Csaba Laszlo's", and the other side replies "barmy army", dunno, that's just a suggestion.

* I should point out that I'm actually in section F, but I'm happy to join in with section G, I usually do anway!

Few points:

Keane was actually referring to getting stick from the fans, not the atmoshphere.

The atmosphere at Tynecastle has been pish because we have been messed about more than any other club in the UK. Infact make that Europe.

Still have the 3rd best attendances which speak volumes.

And WTF do you think we (as fans) do?

We cheer players for getting substituted off, and we boo for 90 minutes!

And WTF do you think we (as fans) do?

We cheer players for getting substituted off, and we boo for 90 minutes!

Your whole point was about how bad the atmosphere was. Yes?

There is a place in called Mayfield in Cork where he used to go an Fight at the weekends. I've met people who knew him when he went out. He would just hit people for no reason apparently. We have all met these clowns in our lives. The man is a stand-over thug with the brain the size of a peanut. He could play football a bit thats all. If Sunderland hand any brain THEY would erse him...

I read his book, I wonder who put the sentences together??

200milesfromgorgie

i don't want to say this but im going to...tin hat on......i think neil lennon will be just like this in a few short years. an ars a tic a wee ginger bassa, whatever. i think he will be a respected manager for a big club before we know it.

as long as it aint celtic!

and now for the pelters! (like chimps throwing their ....)

i don't want to say this but im going to...tin hat on......i think neil lennon will be just like this in a few short years. an ars a tic a wee ginger bassa, whatever. i think he will be a respected manager for a big club before we know it.

Hope you've got a spare tin hat because i agree with you, absolutely despised the man as a player but any time i've read or heard interviews with him he's always seemed like a level headed guy!

There is a place in called Mayfield in Cork where he used to go an Fight at the weekends. I've met people who knew him when he went out. He would just hit people for no reason apparently. We have all met these clowns in our lives. The man is a stand-over thug with the brain the size of a peanut. He could play football a bit thats all. If Sunderland hand any brain THEY would erse him...

His book is absolutely brilliant though.

Very, very honest.

you've taken that too far :)

Few points:

No he wasn't, he was referring to the fact that they all walked out at 2-0.

I'll never forgive the dirty red bas**** for wrecking Alfies career. The guy's an erse of the highest order.

what do you say?

It`s just typical of many "modern" football fans mate, nae patience or realism.

Keane is doing a good job at Sunderland and is only just at the foundations of building them.

what do you say?

Solid as a rock. That is the spirit that we must find inside ourselves.

I tell you this, I was sober as a judge at the game on Saturday for the 1st time in ages as I was driving. Left at 2-0 as we were murder but see the atmosphere in our end, it was all out attack on our players. Maybe I miss this as I'm usually a wee bit bevvied but I was surprised at how much abuse our players take from our own fans.

All I'm saying is that you are right, let's get right behind the team.

Eamonn Dunphy actually!

There is a place in called Mayfield in Cork where he used to go an Fight at the weekends. I've met people who knew him when he went out. He would just hit people for no reason apparently.

Have you ever been to Mayfield? Half the locals go around hitting people for no reason. If the young Keane went out of an evening and didn't batter someone, there was still a 50% chance he'd get a thump in the mouth anyway.

:eek:

If you haven't read it already, I recommend A Strange Kind Of Glory, his biography of Matt Busby.

Yes i have read it. Excellent book. Much better than his U2 biog.

Solid as a rock. That is the spirit that we must find inside ourselves.

I tell you this, I was sober as a judge at the game on Saturday for the 1st time in ages as I was driving. Left at 2-0 as we were murder but see the atmosphere in our end, it was all out attack on our players. Maybe I miss this as I'm usually a wee bit bevvied but I was surprised at how much abuse our players take from our own fans.

All I'm saying is that you are right, let's get right behind the team.

Is leaving when the team are 2-0 down getting right behind them ?

I think not.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Biggest problem is impatience. We were spoiled in 05/06 when Hearts would fly out the traps at teams who would often be shell shocked and out the game by half time.

These days we know thats not going to happen but loads of people still seem ****ed off if we've not scored after 20 minutes. This breeds frustration which manifests itself on the pitch with the players getting nervous. We could be a little more forgiving of basic errors at times as well (fair enough when we're gash the players deserve stick but the first mistake in games often brings unnecessary abuse).

Totally agree with OP in respect to Kean.

Thought he was overlly arrogant when a player but what a player and after reading his book thought even less of him as it included many instances of double standards depending on whether kean liked you or not.

Fast forward to now and he is a Man U manager of the future which is as great a compliment as i can think off although I am not a Man U fan. Speaks sense and understands the game but also seems to have a much calmer appearance which was not always in evidence as a player. He seems to have the management skills to take Sunderland as far as they have been in recent times.

Archived