Euro 2016 = 24 Teams (NHC)

magicTs

As speculated on here by moi a couple of months back UEFA have all but rubber stamped the increase in teams competing in Euro 2016 to 24 from the current number of 16. Not sure I agree with the fact 24 teams out of 53 will qualify but it can surely only aid the home nations in getting to a Major Championship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7636495.stm

Thoughts ?

Chad Sexington
As speculated on here by moi a couple of months back UEFA have all but rubber stamped the increase in teams competing in Euro 2016 to 24 from the current number of 16. Not sure I agree with the fact 24 teams out of 53 will qualify but it can surely only aid the home nations in getting to a Major Championship.

Thoughts ?

Good news.

Anything that helps Scotland qualify for a major tournament has to be a good thing.

As speculated on here by you?

Look at me look at me!

I heard it mentioned at least 4 times by commentators during the Euros.

Hardly a great piece of 'insight' by yourself.

Chad Sexington

Look at me look at me!

I heard it mentioned at least 4 times by commentators during the Euros.

Hardly a great piece of 'insight' by yourself.

It's been on the cards for ages.

I think I first heard it mooted 2-3 years ago.

Do I win a prize?

:)

Good news.

Anything that helps Scotland qualify for a major tournament has to be a good thing.

We will still Donald Duck it up.

We will need to do some imprving though. Not sure we are actually in the top 24 teams (IMO not the ranking).

portobellojambo1

Thoughts ?

Does that mean Hearts get a place.

Look at me look at me!

Jeez, calm down. It was a lighthearted mention of a thread on here months ago. Dry your eyes.

Also pretty much destroys Scotland's hopes of hosting it.

They could joint host it with Northern Europe?

Buffalo Bill

Thats why they reackon that Scotland will make a big push to take over the games in (Ukraine I think) should it have to be re-located.

Yeah, that's a negative but do we really believe that would ever have happened in any case ? I suspect we would have always been overlooked and due to the incompetence of the people trying to put a bid together I'm not convinced it was a starter.

Does that mean Hearts get a place.

Now there's a good idea. If the Champions League ever expanded to say, erm, about 96 teams we might just about sneak in as 3rd or 4th place finishers in the SPHELL !

We will still Donald Duck it up.

We will need to do some imprving though. Not sure we are actually in the top 24 teams (IMO not the ranking).

If we can come 3rd in a group consisting of Italy, France and Ukraine we can surely hope to finish in at least that position in easier groups (for instance the World Cup 2010 quailfying we are playing in now). If we can't finish 3rd or better in a group of 5 teams then frankly we don't ever deserve to qualify for anything.

If we can come 3rd in a group consisting of Italy, France and Ukraine we can surely hope to finish in at least that position in easier groups (for instance the World Cup 2010 quailfying we are playing in now). If we can't finish 3rd or better in a group of 5 teams then frankly we don't ever deserve to qualify for anything.

With 53 teams in 8 groups you have 5 groups x 7 teams and 3 groups x 6 teams so there wouldn't be any wee groups like the group of 5 we are in just now ... the world cup groups are smaller so they can work in a play-off prior to final qualification.

alwaysthereinspirit

Thoughts ?

Will the Scottish team still be under the auspicious direction of our GFA?

Bottom 29 awaits.

With 53 teams in 8 groups you have 5 groups x 7 teams and 3 groups x 6 teams so there wouldn't be any wee groups like the group of 5 we are in just now ... the world cup groups are smaller so they can work in a play-off prior to final qualification.

Yep, they might work it like that but perhaps to carry favor with the bigger clubs / leagues throughout Europe (especially if the Championship's themselves are going to be lengthier) they may try to ease the already crowded football diary and have 7 groups of 5 teams and 3 groups of 6. Who knows ? That would make it even less likely taht a big nation would fail to qualify which after all is probably the biggest reason for this change.

Will the Scottish team still be under the auspicious direction of our GFA?

Bottom 29 awaits.

LOL.

In fairness to the players they have made a decent fist of the last couple of years, other than a couple of poor performances in Eastern Europe we have been pretty good and certainly competitively at Hampden we have performed well.

Yep, they might work it like that but perhaps to carry favor with the bigger clubs / leagues throughout Europe (especially if the Championship's themselves are going to be lengthier) they may try to ease the already crowded football diary and have 7 groups of 5 teams and 3 groups of 6. Who knows ? That would make it even less likely taht a big nation would fail to qualify which after all is probably the biggest reason for this change.

I thought you'd said that the 24 finalists would be 3 each from 8 groups?

I thought you'd said that the 24 finalists would be 3 each from 8 groups?

Don't think so. Was I drunk ?! As far as I know there are 53 teams so they can't be split into an even number in each group. Thinking about it though a total of 8 groups would make sense from the point of view of 3 through from each group. They will probably do top 2 through automatically from 8 groups then play offs just to baffle us further after all it will generate more money for the greedy barstewards !!

alwaysthereinspirit
LOL.

In fairness to the players they have made a decent fist of the last couple of years, other than a couple of poor performances in Eastern Europe we have been pretty good and certainly competitively at Hampden we have performed well.

I was just being an @$$. Some players do deserve credit as you stated. I just have a hard time supporting anything that Gordon Smith has a hand in.

Don't think so. Was I drunk ?! As far as I know there are 53 teams so they can't be split into an even number in each group. Thinking about it though a total of 8 groups would make sense from the point of view of 3 through from each group. They will probably do top 2 through automatically from 8 groups then play offs just to baffle us further after all it will generate more money for the greedy barstewards !!

We are forgetting about host nations getting an automatic place so there will be 1 or 2 places already gone so it will only be 22 or 23 place up for grabs - with Austria & switzerland in euro-2008 there was 6 groups of 7 teams and 1 group of 8 - the top 2 in the 7 groups qualified and with the 2 hosts made the compliment of 16 teams.....it could be a bizarre set up trying to fill 22 or 23 places.....

Captain Canada

It's all irrelevant as Vlad's plan for world domination will have kicked in by 2016 and we'll all live in a giant yellow submarine!

Excellent news for Scotland. Terrible news for the quality of the tournament. Bloated formats, stupid qualification systems (top two out of six groups plus the four best third-placed teams: a system which led to Uruguay reaching the 1986 second round after two draws and with a goal difference of minus five), and the end of what the Euros have always been known for: a fantastic challenge, with no easy games.

Archived