Dave Mackay Great Wee Story

Tom Heaney

Well in my eyes it is, had never met the guy before but was fortunate enough to meet him today. Aside from the great stories he had to tell about his career one of the funnier moments today was when we were talking about golf and one guy (who happened to be a Hibbie) commented that he hoped that Dave Mackay was a better golfer than he was a footballer, immediatley after saying that and seeing Dave Mackays face the guy promptly said, For what its worth Davey I was a better golfer than I was a footballer. Response from Mackay, "what handicap are you?" 16 the guy replied, "FU**ING HELL SAID MACKAY, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A HELLISH FITBA' PLAYER"

Classic and what a privilage it was to meet the guy, I know that many on here have before so they will appreciate where this rookie is coming from :)

Hell of a nice man,a true gent,hard to believe your talking to the same man that turned into a terrier when he crossed that white line.

Never saw the man play, but he was a favourate of mine due to stories from my Dad and Grandad who always said he was the best player Hearts have had.

Standing outside the Main Stand before a game I saw Dave Mackay and told my two young sons to ask him for an autograph. He spent 15 minutes speaking to them, asking them about their own football, schools etc everything but the fact he was and is a Hearts legend.

I soon put my sons straight on that one.

Well in my eyes it is, had never met the guy before but was fortunate enough to meet him today. Aside from the great stories he had to tell about his career one of the funnier moments today was when we were talking about golf and one guy (who happened to be a Hibbie) commented that he hoped that Dave Mackay was a better golfer than he was a footballer, immediatley after saying that and seeing Dave Mackays face the guy promptly said, For what its worth Davey I was a better golfer than I was a footballer. Response from Mackay, "what handicap are you?" 16 the guy replied, "FU**ING HELL SAID MACKAY, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A HELLISH FITBA' PLAYER"

Classic and what a privilage it was to meet the guy, I know that many on here have before so they will appreciate where this rookie is coming from :)

I had the pleasure of meeting him last season after we got gubbed by Dundee Utd, a true gentleman and a REAL HEARTS LEGEND !!!

If and when you ever see him again,ask him : "who was the only international Scottish goalkeeper to play for Scotland and NEVER lost a goal?";)

Derby County were playing Spurs in a televised game a few years ago and (presumably) because of his links to both teams, Mackay was in the studio summarizing for Sky tv. He was asked who he actually supported, Derby or Tottenham. He replied Heart of Midlothian.

Legend.

Read "The Damned United" by David Peace for a wee insight into Dave Mackay's relationship with Brian Clough, Interesting (if speculative) stuff.

I met DM a couple of times. The first time I met him I thought I'd show my age and footy credibility: "A great pleasure to meet you Mr Mackay. The first professonal football game I ever saw was Chelsea v Spurs in 1967. I believe you were playing in that game."

"I believe I was captain in that game, son.." came the reply.

Place. My. Put. In. Me.

Rearrange.

Read "The Damned United" by David Peace for a wee insight into Dave Mackay's relationship with Brian Clough, Interesting (if speculative) stuff.

I met DM a couple of times. The first time I met him I thought I'd show my age and footy credibility: "A great pleasure to meet you Mr Mackay. The first professonal football game I ever saw was Chelsea v Spurs in 1967. I believe you were playing in that game."

"I believe I was captain in that game, son.." came the reply.

Place. My. Put. In. Me.

Rearrange.

Met earlier this year for the first time. He had taken a 'wee drink' but still a gentleman and sharp as a tack.

Met earlier this year for the first time. He had taken a 'wee drink' but still a gentleman and sharp as a tack.

At a shareholder's do a few years ago he was recounting the infamous incident between himself and Billy Bremner that resulted in that oh-so-famous picture of him pulling a terrified BB up by his shirt with his clenched fist. He turned to me and made to grab my shirt - only by way of illustration to the audience, but I flinched nonetheless. It wasn't the clenched first, or what he was saying. It was the look in his eyes.... for a few milliseconds there, I was Billy Bremner....

Tom, you really were in the presence of one for whom the term "legend" could have been coined.

I am old enough to have seen the Terrible Trio, but I am more aware of Dave Mackay, as he appeared when I was a little older.

The news of his transfer to Spurs was met with incredulity, and was akin to a death in the family.

I have meet the great man and heard him speak at functions in recent years, and I am delighted to report that he wears a "Maroon Heart" on his sleeve to this day.

A player of great skill who alloyed that with total commitment. He would have run through a brick wall for his team.

Are you listening Mr. Kingston?

At a shareholder's do a few years ago he was recounting the infamous incident between himself and Billy Bremner that resulted in that oh-so-famous picture of him pulling a terrified BB up by his shirt with his clenched fist. He turned to me and made to grab my shirt - only by way of illustration to the audience, but I flinched nonetheless. It wasn't the clenched first, or what he was saying. It was the look in his eyes.... for a few milliseconds there, I was Billy Bremner....

Hope you had spare underpants. :eek:

I bought a framed photo of that autographed ( I believe ;) ) by Dave for my dad. However, Dave doesn't like that photo as he was not a dirty player just 'hard but fair'. He was just back from a leg break and Bremner went for his bad leg which riled Dave . Billy was a wee hard man but his face tells a story in that photo. :)

i`ll see him this week,he drinks in my pub when he`s up in scotland,quite funny as he drinks white wine but not in a wine glass,but a schooner (tall glass) as he says that the wine glass makes him look like a poof!!

still got a keen eye for the fairer sex too !! not in a bad way tho ,but he is clearly a ladies man and a charmer to boot !!

i`ll see him this week,he drinks in my pub when he`s up in scotland,quite funny as he drinks white wine but not in a wine glass,but a schooner (tall glass) as he says that the wine glass makes him look like a poof!!

still got a keen eye for the fairer sex too !! not in a bad way tho ,but he is clearly a ladies man and a charmer to boot !!

It would take more than a wine glass to make Dave Mackay's sexuality doubtful.

Archived