Tullberg available - no more 4-4-1-1 please

JamboJohn1874

Although I?m looking forward to seeing what Tullberg can do for us, I can?t be the only one here who is a little concerned that this guy is going to be wasted with this boring 4-4-1-1 formation. There would be very few, if any strikers capable of getting 20 goals per season with this setup, so he has his work cut out for him to make his mark.

A 4-4-2 formation with Tullberg alongside Nade would certainly give him a chance to shine and actually sounds quite exciting on paper. To be brutally honest, I think the time to remove Mole and the midget is long overdue. I for one am beginning to think Mole is the new Elliot, who needs to step down a division to find his natural level, however I will like to reserve judgement on this until he is given a chance with someone actually up front beside him.

Give Tullberg a chance, play him another striker beside him!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Csaba has already stated he will most likely be on the bench, which means the 4-4-1-1 will continue for the moment.

Be patient we don't want to rush him anyway, as we don't want him picking up a further injury and being out for even longer.

Korobochka and Chervenkov prefer 1 up front, Csaba will do what his puppetmasters direct, even if we had Rooney, Teves, Adabayor and Drogba to choose from, Csaba's strings would be pulled so that he only chose one forward

Guest jambomickey
Korobochka and Chervenkov prefer 1 up front, Csaba will do what his puppetmasters direct, even if we had Rooney, Teves, Adabayor and Drogba to choose from, Csaba's strings would be pulled so that he only chose one forward

csaba stated he was a 4-4-2 manager so why do we not play 4-4-2? and when i was at riccarton a couple of weeks ago why was korobochka watching training? i do think there's still interference from above and will think that till korobochka has gone' he's a sleekit little snake in my eyes

Commander Harris
csaba stated he was a 4-4-2 manager so why do we not play 4-4-2? and when i was at riccarton a couple of weeks ago why was korobochka watching training? i do think there's still interference from above and will think that till korobochka has gone' he's a sleekit little snake in my eyes

Csaba has also stated that he's been playing 4-4-2 so I think it might just be a question of definitions.

One thing I agree with the OP on is that it is most definitely a 4-4-1-1. There's a subtle difference between that and 4-5-1, IMO we are not playing with 5 midfield players like we did last season (i.e. 3 central and 2 wingers) - we are playing with a midfield that is more typical of a flat 4 found in a 4-4-2.

Guest jambomickey
Csaba has also stated that he's been playing 4-4-2 so I think it might just be a question of definitions.

One thing I agree with the OP on is that it is most definitely a 4-4-1-1. There's a subtle difference between that and 4-5-1, IMO we are not playing with 5 midfield players like we did last season (i.e. 3 central and 2 wingers) - we are playing with a midfield that is more typical of a flat 4 found in a 4-4-2.

glad we agree it's a 4-4-1-1 and it's certainly not what csaba said was his favourite formation! imo there's still interference from above

Although I?m looking forward to seeing what Tullberg can do for us, I can?t be the only one here who is a little concerned that this guy is going to be wasted with this boring 4-4-1-1 formation. There would be very few, if any strikers capable of getting 20 goals per season with this setup, so he has his work cut out for him to make his mark.

A 4-4-2 formation with Tullberg alongside Nade would certainly give him a chance to shine and actually sounds quite exciting on paper. To be brutally honest, I think the time to remove Mole and the midget is long overdue. I for one am beginning to think Mole is the new Elliot, who needs to step down a division to find his natural level, however I will like to reserve judgement on this until he is given a chance with someone actually up front beside him.

Mole had that last season.....and he couldn't even cut it down there! But as soon as the loan finished there was an article on the official site saying that he was "back in contention for a first team place after a disasterous loan spell..." or something along those lines so someone must like him.

I always thought that he deserved more stick than Elliot got (don't like either of them mind you) but I think Mole is the worse of the 2.

Commander Harris
glad we agree it's a 4-4-1-1 and it's certainly not what csaba said was his favourite formation! imo there's still interference from above

Csaba seems to classify it as a 4-4-2. He said so in the last pre-match conference.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He isn't going to be a 20 goal a season striker as far as I can tell.

Think more along the lines of the Jankauskas role.

Mole had that last season.....and he couldn't even cut it down there! But as soon as the loan finished there was an article on the official site saying that he was "back in contention for a first team place after a disasterous loan spell..." or something along those lines so someone must like him.

I always thought that he deserved more stick than Elliot got (don't like either of them mind you) but I think Mole is the worse of the 2.

Where Mole rates more highly than Elliot is in his attitude, workrate and discipline, which in my opinion cannot be faulted. However, much as I hate to say it, I think Elliot would probably score more goals than Mole over the course of a season, if both were given the same number of starts.

Personally, I prefer Mole to Elliot, but I don't think either should be any more than squad players at the moment. We definitely need better.

I suspect you're right. Therefore, Glen must be given his chance alongside Tullberg.

Although I’m looking forward to seeing what Tullberg can do for us, I can’t be the only one here who is a little concerned that this guy is going to be wasted with this boring 4-4-1-1 formation. There would be very few, if any strikers capable of getting 20 goals per season with this setup, so he has his work cut out for him to make his mark.

So if we play Nade and Tullberg together who is the penalty box striker box it is clear that Nade is not and it has also been noted that Tullberg is not a goalscorer.I am sorry but if we are going to pair Tulberg with anyone in a traditional 4-4-2 then it would have to be Glen.

To be fair, Jankauskas should have scored 20 that season.

What ,an injury prone prima donna or pre-madonna as was once put.

The White Cockade

everyone is expecting a helluva lot from a guy who has played 20 minutes

of a friendly so far this season, has scored 2 goals in a year and admits himself he is a target man rather than a goalscorer

I hope he's good and can lay on chances for Nade/Glen/Mole to get a few goals but i'd be surprised if he scores 10 this season let alone 20

I hope i'm wrong though (I usually am!)

We had two recognised strikers on the pitch on saturday and we actually played worse than we have done for most of the season so far.

Make of that what you will.

Cant see Csaba starting Tullberg (or Nade for that matter) on saturday.

To be fair, Jankauskas should have scored 20 that season.

I never said he will be a Jankauskas. Just play the same role. ;)

What ,an injury prone prima donna or pre-madonna as was once put.

No.

I think that even if a combination of Tullberg with Mole or Glen or Ksanavicius plays it will still be one in front and one deeper in Csaba's 4-4-1-1 version of 4-4-2 which seems to be his preferred system of playing - he has rigidly adhered to the same formation and mostly the same players even if some are not in great form so I don't see him moving away from this apparent desire for team continuity.

I think that even if a combination of Tullberg with Mole or Glen or Ksanavicius plays it will still be one in front and one deeper in Csaba's 4-4-1-1 version of 4-4-2 which seems to be his preferred system of playing - he has rigidly adhered to the same formation and mostly the same players even if some are not in great form so I don't see him moving away from this apparent desire for team continuity.

I don't even mind the formation.

It's requires the right players though and at the moment we don't have that 'in the hole' player.

Certainly not Audrey. :sad:

We had two recognised strikers on the pitch on saturday and we actually played worse than we have done for most of the season so far.

Make of that what you will.

Cant see Csaba starting Tullberg (or Nade for that matter) on saturday.

I agree. It is Csaba's call but I can't see him changing a successful team.

For what its worth - If we had decent cover for left back I think Lee Wallace could actually do a job playing behind the striker.

Obua looks ok but he wont take people on or run towards goal - he seems content to just play the ball away as quick as possible.

4-4-1-1 is the same as 4-4-2, it is 4 at the back, 4 in the middle and 2 up front, what makes it look different is the tactics, playing the strikers off each other, letting them move and create space for the other one or a running midfielder, instead of 2 target men, that doesn't work when you are trying to play the ball along the ground like we do now. We can't go back to that hoofball stuff we used to do.

I'd like to see Nade and Mole start the game on Saturday with Tullberg being introduced with 25 minutes to go, replacing Nade.

4-4-1-1 is the same as 4-4-2, it is 4 at the back, 4 in the middle and 2 up front, what makes it look different is the tactics, playing the strikers off each other, letting them move and create space for the other one or a running midfielder, instead of 2 target men, that doesn't work when you are trying to play the ball along the ground like we do now. We can't go back to that hoofball stuff we used to do.

I'd like to see Nade and Mole start the game on Saturday with Tullberg being introduced with 25 minutes to go, replacing Nade.

What? Are you saying you can't play football with 2 up top?

What? Are you saying you can't play football with 2 up top?

Not a flat 2 - ie 2 target men- there would be no dynamics to the team up front, unless as I said we play hoofball, launching it in hope there's a lucky bounce.

Watch any team that play 2 up top, especially in the EPL, one of them is always moving about, making space, pulling defenders away etc. They are all basically playing 4-4-1-1, although it's classed as 4-4-2.

Not a flat 2 - ie 2 target men- there would be no dynamics to the team up front, unless as I said we play hoofball, launching it in hope there's a lucky bounce.

Watch any team that play 2 up top, especially in the EPL, one of them is always moving about, making space, pulling defenders away etc. They are all basically playing 4-4-1-1, although it's classed as 4-4-2.

Who are the target men you mention? Nade and Mole?

Nade, definitely.

Shabba sees Mole as a runner though. Hence him working the channels.

Nade, definitely.

I don't think any of them are target men.As for Nade i am not sure what he is but when both were on against ICT one drifted out to one flank and the other went the other way with none making runs towards the box.

Nade, definitely.

I'd say Mole as well, he is reasonably tall, someone you could play a long ball to and try and pick out.

I like the way Csaba thinks though, it's better to pass the ball along the ground and play entertaining football as well as solid defensively. To do this, the 4-4-1-1 looking formation is really effective.

I honestly think it is because he does not have enough confidence in the players he currently has available.

I believe he does pick the team.

Once he gets all his players fit, ie, Obua, Driver and perhaps gets to sign a couple of players in January then I think he will revert to his favoured line up.

Jambos Till I Die

I want Lazlo to stop all the 4-4-1-1 nonsense it is like playing 4-5-1 and we all hated that. Put Tullberg and Nade up front and i think that will get us 2nd this season

Mon The Jambos

I want Lazlo to stop all the 4-4-1-1 nonsense it is like playing 4-5-1 and we all hated that. Put Tullberg and Nade up front and i think that will get us 2nd this season

Mon The Jambos

Totally agree.

However it is not Lazlo that is picking this formation sadly. It is some muppet in the stand (one of vlads henchmen).

Always remember after the defeat by pars in the pre season friendly what Lazlo said which was along the lines of: "I now know not to use the 4-5-1 formation again as it dosent work in Scotland due to the style of play".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I honestly think it is because he does not have enough confidence in the players he currently has available.

I believe he does pick the team.

Once he gets all his players fit, ie, Obua, Driver and perhaps gets to sign a couple of players in January then I think he will revert to his favoured line up.

What would that be?

Jambos Till I Die
However it is not Lazlo that is picking this formation sadly. It is some muppet in the stand (one of vlads henchmen).

I don't think it is i think it is him that is picking the squad and wait untill we get the injured players back fit we will have some team come to think of it.

Mon The Jambos

im not 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 greatest fan but it might work if we play the right man for the job upfront.

Mole doesn`t give us enough quality to make it work but Nade might, in fact will.

But if we are to play Tullberg that means someone drops out, so get two up.

Jambos Till I Die
im not 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 greatest fan but it might work if we play the right man for the job upfront.

Mole doesn`t give us enough quality to make it work but Nade might, in fact will.

But if we are to play Tullberg that means someone drops out, so get two up.

Totally Agree

Don't rate Mole at all think Nade is 10 times the player

Mon The Jambos

To be fair i wouldnt be against 4411 or 451 away from home. Especially at tough places like the old firm or utd,hibs or aberdeen. but at home we sholud always go 442.

I was of the impression that we bought Obua to play behind Tullberg?

Can't see that formation dying just because 'Our Srtiking Saviour' is is finally fit. In theory it will only enforce it.

I hope both these guys come good. And if they do, I don't care what formation we play.

From Csaba's press conference comments and various supporter meetings then 4-4-1-1 is HIS preferred formation although in his opinion it's a variation of 4-4-2 ..... I don't see him changing it anytime soon regardless of who is fit / unfit.

From Csaba's press conference comments and various supporter meetings then 4-4-1-1 is HIS preferred formation although in his opinion it's a variation of 4-4-2 ..... I don't see him changing it anytime soon regardless of who is fit / unfit.

4-4-1-1 is just a modern version of 4-4-2. The 1-1 is just the 2 striker moving about a bit. When you see managers pointing to their strikers and putting their left hand forward and right back, then reversing it, right hand forward left hand back, that is basically saying move about, create space and play off each other. It is very rare to see a passing team play a flat 4-4-2 these days.

The White Cockade

lets be honest

4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1

its not very exciting

when I first went to Tynie it was 4-3-3 or 4-2-4

If Donald Ford, Willie Gibson or Robbo played up front on their

own they wouldn't have scored half the goals they did

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3 in a home game with say Miko

Tullberg and Nade up front and see how it went

There's only so many times you can watch paint dry

Won't happen obviously

lets be honest

4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1

its not very exciting

Won't happen obviously

Other teams played the same way though back in those days - if we played like that now against opposition playing 4-5-1 they'd close down as much space as they could and hit us on the breakaway....just like Bertie Auld's Partick & Hibs teams did.......football is much more defensively minded these days.....you could still play 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 but you'd need high quality players whose attacking prowess could rip up the opposition whilst still having 5 or 6 players capable of being strong in defence. :mellow:

lets be honest

4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1

its not very exciting

Won't happen obviously

i know, i really think the clubs thought process is being changed. Hearts where always about promoting good forward play, positivity.

Too many are being seduced by the cagey, fear of making mistakes formation.

If you get the right players in at first then you can play more open. Don`t flood the club with mediocrity then be forced into playing a saturated midfield formation to compensate for our downfalls.

The White Cockade

the drop in crowds is mostly down to the inferior product on the park and lack of entertainment rather than poor results in my opinion

We surely have the players to at least put out an attacking team at home against lowly opposition

if not then football is on its last legs

i'd take a 2-2 draw, 5-2 win, 3-1 defeat rather than a 0-0, 1-0 win 0-0 unbeaten run any day

these days you know there will not be (m)any goals

at least in days gone by (probably with lesser players) there was always the chance of a few goals

4-5-1 only works if you have players like Hrtley and Mickey Cameron who can bomb forward, support the strikers and score goals

we don't have a midfielder like that so we at least need to play 4-4-2

the drop in crowds is mostly down to the inferior product on the park and lack of entertainment rather than poor results in my opinion

We surely have the players to at least put out an attacking team at home against lowly opposition

if not then football is on its last legs

i'd take a 2-2 draw, 5-2 win, 3-1 defeat rather than a 0-0, 1-0 win 0-0 unbeaten run any day

these days you know there will not be (m)any goals

at least in days gone by (probably with lesser players) there was always the chance of a few goals

4-5-1 only works if you have players like Hrtley and Mickey Cameron who can bomb forward, support the strikers and score goals

we don't have a midfielder like that so we at least need to play 4-4-2

Agree but i`m willing to be proved wrong. But i`ll always maintain 4-5-1 is for the genuine good sides who can turn defence into attack in an instant.

Why do we pussy foot against the supposed weaker teams at Tynie? I believe in good football and honing my team on passing, movement and variation, not 20 meaningless passes with no end product because the lone striker is so isolated we lose possession.

We should be more direct at home. Get two upfront and get the ball into them early and work off them. I`m not saying hoofball before everyone gets hot under the collar, i`m on about progressive positive football on the deck or educated long balls.

We have a player i Nade who is strong and can hold the ball up and we have a forward in Glen who is a natural finisher. Both are also good in link up aswell.

I was of the impression that we bought Obua to play behind Tullberg?

Can't see that formation dying just because 'Our Srtiking Saviour' is is finally fit. In theory it will only enforce it.

I hope both these guys come good. And if they do, I don't care what formation we play.

It seems that straight forward to me.

Obua and Tullberg are our first choice pairing up front.

Did Tullberg not state when he signed that he like to be part of a front 2 playing with a poacher. It sounds to me like he is a target man. If we had a player like Hartley or Cameron then 4 5 1 1 would work fine, unfortunately we don't so we need to play another striker. I would like to see Nade up front with him.

However given that he is only just back I think he will be on the bench. In that case I do think it is time for a change and Nade to start.

Against the lower SPL teams, especially at home, we should be playing with two right up top.

I'm not sure our midfield is good enough to protect our back four, which I am sure ISNT good enough, in games against better teams or in fact most teams away from home.

4-4-1-1 suits our OVERALL squad at the moment until we get something more from our midfield and a lot more from our back 4, especially the full backs.

I wouldnt play 4-4-2 with our current midfield or full backs. They'd get slaughtered against any team with a bit of pace.

Did Tullberg not state when he signed that he like to be part of a front 2 playing with a poacher. It sounds to me like he is a target man. If we had a player like Hartley or Cameron then 4 5 1 1 would work fine, unfortunately we don't so we need to play another striker. I would like to see Nade up front with him.

However given that he is only just back I think he will be on the bench. In that case I do think it is time for a change and Nade to start.

I somehow don`t think the referee would allow us to play that way, given that they look for any excuse to book a Hearts player .:rolleyes:

Archived