Record, Sun, Scotsman, Beeb EXCLUSIVE!!!

colinmaroon

Hearts have sacked - - -

Tommy Walker!!!

Hearts have sacked - - -

Tommy Walker!!!

That was really funny...

How can three papers get an exclusive ?

Just like that movie Air Heads... and The Lone Rangers debate.

Of course they can't!!!

Doesn't stop them claiming "exclusives" - usually, because they all think that what they got from somewhere else [e.g. JKB] has "magically" become their "creation".

And, if the skoobala they print is a bunch of fairy stories of their own "creation", why should they stop short of claiming "exclusive"???

siegementality
Of course they can't!!!

Doesn't stop them claiming "exclusives" - usually, because they all think that what they got from somewhere else [e.g. JKB] has "magically" become their "creation".

And, if the skoobala they print is a bunch of fairy stories of their own "creation", why should they stop short of claiming "exclusive"???

Here's an exclusive for you, God doesn't exist.

and your proof is?

Interesting being devil's advocate in this scenario:cool:

siegementality
and your proof is?

Interesting being devil's advocate in this scenario:cool:

or the devil :evil: himself in my case!

Did Tommy Walker get sacked or did he retire?

He certainly got the push from the board when he was replaced by John Harvey. A really short sighted move and something we paid for over the next couple of decades - John Harvey wasn't half the manager that Walker was and the side declined under him. The succession of mangers after Harvey right up until Doddie arrived was truly dreadful.

He certainly got the push from the board when he was replaced by John Harvey. A really short sighted move and something we paid for over the next couple of decades - John Harvey wasn't half the manager that Walker was and the side declined under him. The succession of mangers after Harvey right up until Doddie arrived was truly dreadful.

Thanks for that Deevers. :) Dad & Grandad started taking me to games in the mid-seventies and I can remember most things quite well from about 1978 onwards however the details of the history of Hearts in the period 1960-1980 is very sketchy and often glossed over given how poor we became in these years.

Francis Albert

As someone who remembers reading the front page Evening News splash at the time, I don't think there is any doubt he got the push. But it was the manner rather than the fact of it that caused a stir. The great Hearts side of the late fifties had slumped horribly, as had crowds. There was a general feeling that Tommy was not attuned to the moderrn game (that was perhaps more to the detriment of the modern game than Tommy, but such is the tide of history). Also, although Tommy did a great job he owed a lot to his predecessor Davie McLean who lay the foundations of the '50s side and the same sort of quality was not coming through by the early '60s (to put it mildly).

But the feeling was that it would not have been difficult to persuade Tommy to move aside gracefully, if offered a position on the Board or some other "ambassador" type role. He wouldn't have cost much either. It was the failure to offer him that which really upset people.

The Board compounded the error by leaving John Harvey, who never wanted the job, in place for too long,

(Not that Hearts were alone in that era in treating great employees disgracefully, as Jock Stein found out a decade later when Celtic offered him the post of running Celtic Pools as a reward for his services).

or the devil :evil: himself in my case!

At least you won't have to worry about the gas bills!!!

But then again, neither will I!!!

J.T.F.Robertson

The man himself would have disagreed with you, as I believe he was a devout Christian.

I remember reading the Evening News the night that Tommy Walker was sacked as manager. He came back as a board member, I think, and presumably retired from that position in due course.

Archived