EAMONN BANNON

tam_1955

The Voice of Reason

. I came home with a lump of turf that I planted in a pot and called it Eamonn. Survived for a few years.

HaHa. I also got a bit of turf that I planted in my garden. Thing that I remember apart from Eammons goal was the Police with their dogs lining the trackside in front of us. Didn't stop us getting on the pitch at the end though!

Hungry hippo

Plays Bowls at Whitehouse & Grange .... But not in the rain .....,,,!

How good is he? Does he play in the league etc?

I was lucky enough to play football with Eammon for a couple of years when I was a student. He was a fair age by then but was still a class act and a really nice guy. He often spoke about Hearts and was clearly very passionate about the club although often critical, but when you have achieved things in the game you are bound to have strong opinions and be able to see when things aren't right.

My favourite Bannon moment was that goal against Hibs, when he had a shoulder to shoulder challenge with the defender before smashing the ball into the net.

Carl Fredrickson

Bannon was probably my first Hearts hero (early memories of Donald Ford {who never seemed to get his trip dirty} and Cruiky {who inspired me to play in goals})

I can mind being gutted when he was sold to Chelsea but my older brother tried to explain to me as a primary aged kid how the club needed the money to survive (how many times has that happened in my lifetime???)

I also remember being taken to fester road to watch him play for Scotland under 21s and IIRC he hit the crossbar with an overhead kick. 

Watching him play for Dundee Utd (what a fantstic team they were to watch then) was gut wrenching. So glad when he came back but as many have said, he was no longer the player he was. Had the good fortune to talk to him a couple of times before games and he was always nice and approachable. One of lives good guys 

. I came home with a lump of turf that I planted in a pot and called it Eamonn. Survived for a few years.

I put mine in the garden , the atmosphere for us at that time,you would have thought we had won the World Cup

Gutted when sold to Chelsea, he was the only ray of light in a poor Hearts side.

Didn't quite work at Chelsea, who were starting into slump.

DU got the best of him, fantastic player.

Huge home game in 1986, a right horrible rainy day at Tyney. We were fantastic for an hour but only 1-0 up.

I sat in section T and watched him hit a Rudi-esque left foot volley into the far corner.

Great player.

I remember this really well. It was rammed that day and I ended up in amongst the arabs and watched bannons rocket straight as a die from foot to top corner. Tough to watch from an early hero of mine. Rotten day right enough with thunder and lightning too.

Maroon Sailor

Seen him make his debut as he came on at the end against Hamburg in 76. Bannon was always a hearts fan, as someone said earlier on the thread his 3 brothers Paddy,Vince & Jed were also good players at junior level before all 3 emigrated to Australia ..

Taken in the squad away to Hamburg Roy Kay, Brian Wilson & him didn't make the 1am curfew back to the hotel, so they were fined & lost all their bonuses for that trip. [emoji1]

Wilson shouldn't have got paid, never mind a bonus for that match in Hamburg. Shocking goalkeeping of the highest order

Seen him make his debut as he came on at the end against Hamburg in 76. Bannon was always a hearts fan, as someone said earlier on the thread his 3 brothers Paddy,Vince & Jed were also good players at junior level before all 3 emigrated to Australia ..

Taken in the squad away to Hamburg Roy Kay, Brian Wilson & him didn't make the 1am curfew back to the hotel, so they were fined & lost all their bonuses for that trip. [emoji1]

Brian Wilson was a disgrace to the Hearts top.

HillmanHearts

Eamonn was outstanding in his first spell in a pretty dire Hearts team. He was still a terrific player in his second spell in a hugely better Hearts team. Class act.

davemclaren

Gutted when Ralph Callachsn left and then, a few years later, Bannon. Also disappointed that Cammy Fraser left as well. It was the Hearts way then.

Gutted when Ralph Callachsn left and then, a few years later, Bannon. Also disappointed that Cammy Fraser left as well. It was the Hearts way then.

And before that the one that upset me most; Arthur Mann, a brilliant full back sold to Man City for ?65,000. I still remember alternating chants; "you can stick your ?65,000 up yer er..", and "Lindsay OUT"

In hindsight (and with a bit more wisdom & realism now!), ?65,000 was a good sum in the mid '60s for a player with potential. Must be the equivalent to over ?0.75million today. I'm sure we would be delighted to receive that sum for a promising full back (Paterson!)!

How good is he? Does he play in the league etc?

He plays Bowls for enjoyment only ..And is good ! .. A true Gent !

Maroon Sailor

Remember Eamonn getting sent off at Dens. He was the most placid player you could meet but somehow the ref sent him off for doing diddly-squat.

the general

And before that the one that upset me most; Arthur Mann, a brilliant full back sold to Man City for ?65,000. I still remember alternating chants; "you can stick your ?65,000 up yer er..", and "Lindsay OUT"

In hindsight (and with a bit more wisdom & realism now!), ?65,000 was a good sum in the mid '60s for a player with potential. Must be the equivalent to over ?0.75million today. I'm sure we would be delighted to receive that sum for a promising full back (Paterson!)!

it was a British record fee for a full back or something iirc

avhudtheteeshirt

His partnership with Peter Oliver at left back was outstanding at the time.

i wish jj was my dad

Remember Eamonn getting sent off at Dens. He was the most placid player you could meet but somehow the ref sent him off for doing diddly-squat.

I remember that but as much as he was a true gent he stood on Albert Craig's balls that day.

Maroon Sailor

I remember that but as much as he was a true gent he stood on Albert Craig's balls that day.

Can't see him doing that on purpose .... but then again given who it was

the general

Arthur Mann Defender (82-83, 83-86) Signed from Mansfield Town. Began his career with Hearts but in 1969 was transferred to Manchester City for ?65,000, then a record for a Scottish defender coming across the border. Following a three and a half year stay at Maine Road was transferred to Notts County for ?15,000 where he stayed for seven seasons making over 240 appearances. Then he moved to Shrewsbury Town for ?30,000 but left after only four months to join Mansfield Town in 1979 in a ?36,000 deal. After one season with the Pilgrims when he was voted "Player of the Year" he left to join up with his former Notts County teammate Don Masson at Kettering Town, but returned to York Street after only three months with the Poppies. He took over as manager at end of 83/84 and led the Pilgrims to the FA Trophy Final at Wembley in 1985. After leaving the Pilgrims he played for Telford United, then joined up with Alan Buckley as assistant manager at Grimsby and later West Bromwich Albion. Born 23/1/1948 in Falkirk. He died in February 1999, following an industrial accident.

Maroon Sailor

He only made 18 appearances before being freed less than a year later unsurprisingly.

Wilson couldnae save stamps

Maroon Sailor

He was prob a panic signing after Garland & Graham quit leaving us short in that area tbh,

Trying to remember what the score with Cruicky was in that 76/77 season. Surely to god nobody thought Wilson was better than even an ageing Cruicky.

He was at the end of his career by then, another great servant treated badly by hearts re his testimonial match & he stayed away for years because of this. The fans had a benefit for him in the odeon on clerk st though.

Gary Mackay tried to get him inducted into the hall of fame even going to Jim's house but he would have nothing to do with it, quite sad really. a0b04ba856de56b2c71261733ce5704f.jpg

My ticket from that event.

IMG_0475.jpgh?bergeur image gratuit

Just can't imagine Bannon doing that!

Good on him though!

Nice. [emoji1303]

Of course, I was only 2 at the time so don't remember much about it...

:lies:

Maroon Sailor

He was at the end of his career by then, another great servant treated badly by hearts re his testimonial match & he stayed away for years because of this. The fans had a benefit for him in the odeon on clerk st though.

Gary Mackay tried to get him inducted into the hall of fame even going to Jim's house but he would have nothing to do with it, quite sad really.

Criminal really.

Nearly 400 appearances for Hearts and 17 years service.

At least one thing still rings true to this day. You can always rely on the Hearts fans to show their appreciation of great club servants.

Perth to Paisley

I was in same year at High school with Eamonn, bizarrely he was far from the best player in the school team until 5th year... he then progressed at a frightening rate.

Top player and good guy.

Used to get me the odd ticket for away games.

Not sent him for at least 30? years.

John Findlay

Most skilful player I have had the good fortune to have seen in a Hearts jersey. Saved the club when sold to Chelsea for 225,000 if memory serves me correctly.

SectionDJambo

I remember his penalty, against Rangers at Tynecastle, which flew over the bar. Very unexpected that he would miss the target.

Another player who Dundee United managed to end up with after being sold or let go by Hearts. People moan about the way the playing side is being run now, but we were a shambles for almost 20 years after the Kilmarnock last day defeat.

It's really against all odds that we still have a top club after some of the stuff that went on back then.

It was a pleasure to have Eamonn back at the end of his career.

davemclaren

Most skilful player I have had the good fortune to have seen in a Hearts jersey. Saved the club when sold to Chelsea for 225,000 if memory serves me correctly.

In those days every player sale was effectively club saving. :(

Gigolo-Aunt

In those days every player sale was effectively club saving. :(

A bit before my time Dave but my auld man says the same.   As for Bannon, my dad reckoned he was still a good player but his best days were behind him when he came back.

davemclaren

A bit before my time Dave but my auld man says the same.   As for Bannon, my dad reckoned he was still a good player but his best days were behind him when he came back.

I agree with what your auld man says.

Perth to Paisley

I remember his penalty, against Rangers at Tynecastle, which flew over the bar. Very unexpected that he would miss the target.

I was behind the goals and that penalty almost grazed the bar... but it was hit with such power that it flew over our heads and over the fence into the school.

Width of the bar lower and it would have been in.

Archived