Today's Sun

H.A.N.S

Skint but happy

By ROBERT MARTIN

Published: 28 Sep 2008

FEARS for the future of debt-ridden Hearts grew as staff learned wages will NOT be paid today.

Alarmed backroom staff and admin workers were left in a state of panic as they learned monthly salaries had not reached their bank accounts.

But Jambos bosses insisted the cash would be paid by the end of the week, claiming employees were "relaxed and happy" about the situation.

News of the latest cash blow came days after it was revealed the players' weekly pay had also failed to show up.

And it sparked fears of a financial meltdown at Tynecastle, where the last audited accounts showed a whopping debt of ?36.25million.

Neither owner Vladimir Romanov nor his son Roman, the club's chairman, was willing to make any comment.

And it was left to director Sergejus Fedotovas to fly in from Lithuania and attempt to allay the fears of anxious staff at a hastily-arranged meeting at the stadium.

He claimed an administrative ******-up had caused the delay — with the cash going into the wrong account.

But that was eerily close to the explanation given to players last Friday, that a technical glitch had been behind non-payment of their wages.

However, Fedotovas insisted staff and players would all be paid in full on Friday.

A club insider said: "It is worrying, but we have been assured that the money will be in our accounts by the end of the week. We have to wait and hope that is the case."

An official statement later stated the players would receive money owed before Saturday's trip to Dundee United. A spokesman then said that staff, some of whom had been in tears at the news they would not be paid, were relaxed at developments.

He said: "Staff will now all be paid in full on Friday.

"They were told about this resolution this afternoon and, while there had been some concern over the uncertainty, they are now relaxed and happy with the situation.

"Staff are paid monthly and this means payment will only be a few days behind, so it shouldn't cause any of our staff a serious problem."

PFA Scotland chief Fraser Wishart said: "We have been assured the players' wages will be paid by the end of the week. For the moment, we are comfortable with that."

And it's the 28th September already, apparently.

And there's more:

We Will Never Let Our Jambos Die Like Gretna

By ROBERT MARTIN

Published: Today

GEORGE FOULKES watched as Gretna slowly slipped out of existence — but he is confident the same fate will NEVER befall Hearts.

The latest wage worries at Tynecastle have alarmed former chairman Foulkes.

Gretna went bust after Brooks Mileson's cash dried up and rumours of redundancies sweeping Tynecastle did little to quell fears of another SPL club biting the dust.

But Foulkes hinted there are several money men ready to step in and bail out the Jambos if necessary.

He said: "I'd be wary of any analogy comparing what's gone on at Hearts to anything that happened at Gretna — and I think that the comparison is inappropriate.

"I would be confident that if there was ANY threat to the future of Hearts there would be people who would be willing to step in.

"They would make sure that the club, which is not just important to Edinburgh but Scotland as a whole, wouldn't be threatened in the same way Gretna unfortunately were.

"People who are in a position to do something about this and who thought this could happen have already started thinking about it.

"I fully believe if the club were in danger there would be people ready and willing to do something about it."

Foulkes insists Hearts HAD to get into bed with Vladimir Romanov three-and-a-half years ago — because he was the only man who could prevent the sale of Tynecastle to ease massive debts.

But Foulkes fears Romanov, who rarely attends games, has lost his enthusiasm for the club.

He said: "At the time Romanov came in he was the only show in town. There were no other options and I think the fans realise that as well.

"In those first few months he was a hero and even now the fans recognise if he hadn't come in we'd be a poor team playing at Murrayfield and struggling.

"Yes, we had a poor season last time round, but with Csaba Laszlo in place as manager things appear to be looking up. For the first time in a while there's a lot of optimism about what can be achieved on the park.

"What Hearts do not have is a figurehead, someone the fans can look to for guidance on certain matters.

"Vladimir is not willing to take on the role, nor is his son Roman. I think that people are disappointed they appear unwilling to take any responsibility for what is going on.

"I was at the Inverness game on Saturday and a lot of people came up and asked me the same thing, 'Has Vladimir lost interest in Hearts?'. The sad thing for me is I couldn't say no.

"I thought when he came in he understood that Hearts isn't just a football club, it's an institution. They have one of the most loyal fanbases in the SPL.

"Look at what happened on the pitch last season, yet Tynecastle was still full for every home game, so the loyalty is there.

"Vladimir should make his position clear and I would urge him to offer clarification on the situation at the club right now.

"There is confusion and nobody appears to be sure what is going on. He has a responsibility, principally to his employees, but also to the fans, to try and address that."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article1726827.ece

jamboinglasgow

just love how they try to make the issue on friday and the explanation today sound like two different things,

"He claimed an administrative ******-up had caused the delay — with the cash going into the wrong account.

But that was eerily close to the explanation given to players last Friday, that a technical glitch had been behind non-payment of their wages."

couldn't the ****** up be called a technical glitch. Its simply expanding on the glitch.

Geoff Kilpatrick
No dent in the ?36m? How?

None of that can have any foundation whatsoever tbh. Not until Friday anyway.

To be fair, it did say that was the debt level in the last audited accounts.

To be fair, it did say that was the debt level in the last audited accounts.

It was referring to their sensasional headline.

Completely inaccurate to the presesnt situation.

I would urge people not to buy the Sun. It's only conceivable value is as bedding for domestic pets and even that isn't very clever given the chemicals used in the ink.

How come the article is dated 28th September 2008. I thought today was he 24th or did I really drink that much last night!

:eek:

There again if they cant even get the date right how accurate will the article be?

:rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if the Sun staff can "write" AND count.

Its a trade off, and they had an abundance of crayons.

No dent in the ?36m? How?

None of that can have any foundation whatsoever tbh. Not until Friday anyway.

Strictly speaking, he is correct in what he has written. He's just conveniently forgotten to make any reference to the ?20m+ income/investments since the last audited accounts.

As long as we haven't spent it by syphoning it off to other UBIG companies.

Fozzyonthefence
How come the article is dated 28th September 2008. I thought today was he 24th or did I really drink that much last night!

:eek:

Some sesh you must have had 4 nights ago! It is indeed the 28th today and HMFC is now out of business!

Archived