Edinburgh City Council on verge of bankruptcy!

h-e-a-r-t-s

If we thought the situation at Hearts is bad then surely it's even worse at the council. My best friend started a job as a teacher in Edinburgh this month. Today he received his first wage packet.

He opened his payslip to find that he'd been paid 150 quid for 1 months work!! After enquiring to his boss it was established that a technical error was to blame. He will now have to wait probably a week before he gets his full pay.

Now I'm no expert but that sounds a lot worse than the situation at Hearts as I understand they're going to sort it all out by Friday.

Serious trouble ahead for the council me thinks. :(

portobellojambo1
If we thought the situation at Hearts is bad then surely it's even worse at the council. My best friend started a job as a teacher in Edinburgh this month. Today he received his first wage packet.

He opened his payslip to find that he'd been paid 150 quid for 1 months work!! After enquiring to his boss it was established that a technical error was to blame. He will now have to wait probably a week before he gets his full pay.

Now I'm no expert but that sounds a lot worse than the situation at Hearts as I understand they're going to sort it all out by Friday.

I would guess that if, as you say, he started this month, and received his first pay within this month the payroll programme has been unable to calculate a part month salary correctly, or been fed duff information (wrong dates for example) on which to do the calculation.

I would guess that if, as you say, he started this month, and received his first pay within this month the payroll programme has been unable to calculate a part month salary correctly, or been fed duff information (wrong dates for example) on which to do the calculation.

Either that or he is just using it as an example!!!!!!

It's OK

I'd forgotten a council tax installment.

I've sorted it now so your mate should be fine

Installment:peepwall:

when I started my current job as a teacher, I didn't get paid for 2 whole months.

Don't expect Edinburgh council to get it sorted within a week.

the sarcasm in my post appears to have been lost along the way. i guess sarcasm only works when you hear it.

my OP is true, but my point is that this sort of stuff happens all the time. it has happened to me, and has evidently happened to other posters. it doesn't mean your company is about to collapse or go into administration.

i'm not saying Hearts don't have cash flow problems. if they don't, they'll be in the minority right now. but nothing i've heard or read so far gives me any more cause for alarm than my friend should have about the council going bust.

portobellojambo1
the sarcasm in my post appears to have been lost along the way. i guess sarcasm only works when you hear it.

You are of course correct. much of what someone says, or the manner in which someone says it is influenced by changes in voice tone, movement of the eyes and use of the hands for emphasis, none of which can be achieved when posting on a message board (even with s h it loads of smilies), hence my reply above.

J.T.F.Robertson
What's yours? Are you cyber stalking me?

Not at all.

I just noticed that anytime someone made the effort to put a slightly positive (and I use that term advisedly) slant on all this, you would reply using sarcasm.

rememberwilliegibson

Like most of the posts on this subject, the OP proves or disproves nothing. Only time will tell what is really going on within Tynecastle.

Not at all.

I just noticed that anytime someone made the effort to put a slightly positive (and I use that term advisedly) slant on all this, you would reply using sarcasm.

Right, a sarcastic/ironic/ficticious story about the council going tits up is positive?

Sergi comeing over...........Oh ya belter Vlads number one bumboy is coming to patronise us in our own tongue!

Forgive me, while break out the bunting!

Like most of the posts on this subject, the OP proves or disproves nothing. Only time will tell what is really going on within Tynecastle.

i think that was pretty much my point.

J.T.F.Robertson

He was obviously using the council story as an analogy, at least that's the way I took it. As for Sergi, I'll also choose to see that as an indication things are being dealt with. Why would he even show up otherwise?

It's all perception. I choose to perceive it as a positive, although it's hard to grasp these remaining straws, with my heid buried in the sand. ;)

I'm trying to hope for the best, that's all.

my OP is true, but my point is that this sort of stuff happens all the time. it has happened to me, and has evidently happened to other posters. it doesn't mean your company is about to collapse or go into administration.

i'm not saying Hearts don't have cash flow problems. if they don't, they'll be in the minority right now. but nothing i've heard or read so far gives me any more cause for alarm than my friend should have about the council going bust.

There may be more to what you say in jest!!

I rang a Council number the other day to find it was unavailable and called another area to see if they could re-direct me and it turned out the line had been closed by the provider for non payment.

It's OK

I'd forgotten a council tax installment.

I've sorted it now so your mate should be fine

It's people like you that are killing this city...

I blame the trams :)

for everything.

A 30% overspend on the tram line construction would be equivalent to a whole year's council tax revenue ...:eek:

And that is all a contingent liability for Edinburgh Council, as are the running losses, replacement costs etc :eek:

It isn't possible for councils / governments to be bankrupt - they can have cashflow crisis and make savage cuts to spending on services or they can borrow more money from other sources however they must always meet their liabilities even if future tax-payers are paying for previous generations mistakes for many decades afterwards.

i hope all those council tax dodgers are proud of themselves :rolleyes:

winston churchill

tell your mate my wedge is fine and will be in the bank on friday.

also all cooncil staff were on a one day strike last month an indeed again today.

It isn't possible for councils / governments to be bankrupt - they can have cashflow crisis and make savage cuts to spending on services or they can borrow more money from other sources however they must always meet their liabilities even if future tax-payers are paying for previous generations mistakes for many decades afterwards.

Didn't California go bankrupt in the 70s or 80s?? As in, they had no cash left and couldn't afford to pay their staff etc?

The council in Edinburgh seem to be the most inept shower of idiots going. I'm not one of them but those who refuse to pay their council tax, unjustified parking fines or even harsh environmental fines are oing the right thing.As a tenant of a council house a few years ago then I can only call their maintenance and upkeeping of their houses (the actual ones that are still out there) an utter disgrace. This council has had it too easy for too long!!

He was obviously using the council story as an analogy, at least that's the way I took it. As for Sergi, I'll also choose to see that as an indication things are being dealt with. Why would he even show up otherwise?

It's all perception. I choose to perceive it as a positive, although it's hard to grasp these remaining straws, with my heid buried in the sand. ;)

I'm trying to hope for the best, that's all.

If that's the case, why bother sniping at me? Not very positive is it?

It just wasnt a very good example was it? One person being paid the wrong amount of money is different from all employees not being paid at all is it not? Additionally Edinburgh Council are not a private company and are clearly not going to go 'bust' It IS a worry to many Hearts fans that there seems to be a cashflow problem at the club and rightly so - I just hope it is a minor and temporary one.

Maybe if you had provided an example of a private company that had failed to pay all their employees one month/week but had resumed normal business with no problems after it might have been helpful in addressing peoples concerns.

It just wasnt a very good example was it? One person being paid the wrong amount of money is different from all employees not being paid at all is it not? Additionally Edinburgh Council are not a private company and are clearly not going to go 'bust' It IS a worry to many Hearts fans that there seems to be a cashflow problem at the club and rightly so - I just hope it is a minor and temporary one.

Maybe if you had provided an example of a private company that had failed to pay all their employees one month/week but had resumed normal business with no problems after it might have been helpful in addressing peoples concerns.

i disagree. it's a valid example.

i disagree. it's a valid example.

I dont see how a non private company getting one persons wages wrong (not non payment of these wages) is comparable to a private company not paying any wages to any employee is a valid comparison. I'm sure there are plenty of comparable situations bot where said company has went t*ts up and where the company has carried on fine - this isnt one of them.

Archived