Miko goal song?

ZacBaker

the song was Biko by Peter Gabriel but it not the original version.

Sorry anyone who tampers with Peter Gabriel songs deserves to suffer a horrible fate!:eek:

Anyone else feel uncomfortable with a song about someone being wrongly imprisoned and dying of a hunger strike being used for a celebration?

it's not exactly appropriate.

they should play something novelty like rabbit by chas n dave when he scores next.

Anyone else feel uncomfortable with a song about someone being wrongly imprisoned and dying of a hunger strike being used for a celebration?

Having just seen what the song was about when I clicked on the youtube link, that was my first thought too.

Although it was good at the time I'm not sure if it's really the right song to be played.

Having just seen what the song was about when I clicked on the youtube link, that was my first thought too.

Although it was good at the time I'm not sure if it's really the right song to be played.

Lighten Up !

steve biko was chained to a radiator and beaten to death if memory serves i,m ****ed if i am looking it up cause it depresses me but he did not hunger strike

It's been played befor in actual fact.

P**nut posted that Scott has been playing it for two years - I'd never noticed it before.

Don't think a song in tribute to to a man who was murdered for trying to end appartheid is suitable for celebrating goals! I'm not some PC freak but it leaves a bad taste!

Biko...it rhymes with Miko FFS! He's not playing it to enlighten our fans on the horrors of appartheid and black freedom fighters struggles! IT RHYMES WITH MIKO!

After what's been going on here today you'd think some of you sad b*****ds had plenty more to worry about!

Having been a devotee of all things Gabriel for some time and also a keen student of South African politics (I remember wanting so hard for apartheid to end, for prejudice to be swept away ...), I am PLEASED that this song can be considered for celebratory use. To me it shows that things have changed in South Africa. OK there is still so much so wrong (but then even Scotland is not yet Heaven on earth).

It's a darn fine tune and I was pleased to song along to it.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
steve biko was chained to a radiator and beaten to death if memory serves i,m ****ed if i am looking it up cause it depresses me but he did not hunger strike

http://africanhistory.about.com/library/biographies/blbio-stevebiko.htm

On 21 August 1977 Biko was detained by the Eastern Cape security police and held in Port Elizabeth. From the Walmer police cells he was taken for interrogation at the security police headquarters. On 7 September "Biko sustained a head injury during interrogation, after which he acted strangely and was uncooperative. The doctors who examined him (naked, lying on a mat and manacled to a metal grille) initially disregarded overt signs of neurological injury."1

By 11 September Biko had slipped into a continual, semi-conscious state and the police physician recommended a transfer to hospital. Biko was, however, transported 1,200 km to Pretoria a 12-hour journey which he made lying naked in the back of a Land Rover. A few hours later, on 12 September, alone and still naked, lying on the floor of a cell in the Pretoria Central Prison, Biko died from brain damage.

Archived