Kello expecting more 'hellos' from Hearts fans

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Kello-expecting-more-39hellos39-from.4517552.jp

Published Date: 23 September 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

MARIAN KELLO'S anonymity isn't likely to last, so he should enjoy it while he can.

The Slovak can still walk Edinburgh's streets unrecognised but many more assertive goalkeeping displays for Hearts will change all that.

Being besieged in public isn't Kello's bag, for he prefers a more unassuming way of life. The extent of footballing passion in Scotland often renders that impossible but supporters have been unobtrusive since he arrived on loan from FBK Kaunas last month.

That's mainly because no-one appears to know who he is yet. In Lithuania, nobody bats an eyelid unless you happen to shoot hoops for a living. In Scotland, it's somewhat different, a reality yet to impose itself upon Kello.

The 26-year-old's wish for discretion is certain to be compromised by his conviction in goal sooner rather than later. His loan transfer from Kaunas represents something of a find for Hearts after Steve Banks' premature retirement and few would deny his accomplished displays have laid a solid foundation for the season ahead.

Banks' popularity saw him jokingly hailed as "England's number one" by Tynecastle regulars, while predecessor Craig Gordon is arguably the most capable goalkeeper ever produced in the Capital. Kello has quite a bit to live up to and early signs are that he will soon become a household name, and face.

"Nobody has stopped me in the street yet so it's difficult to say what the supporters think of me," he told the Evening News. "I'm not so well-known so I don't think the people here recognise me. I don't want to be a big star or to be in the newspapers every day, that's not important.

"I keep my life quiet and stay in the background. This is what I like because I can continue doing my job. I'm feeling more and more confident here. In every game I'm learning something new because I am looking around me at what is happening."

One Edinburgh resident with no problem pinpointing Kello is Arturas Ramoska, Hearts' recently-appointed first-team goalkeeping coach. The pair worked closely at Kaunas for over a year before being dispatched to Scotland within days of one another last month. Their partnership contributed to Kaunas winning the Lithuanian A Lyga title last season as well as eliminating Rangers from this season's Champions League qualifying phase.

Kello believes another European odyssey may be in the offing given Hearts' encouraging start to the SPL campaign, which has brought four victories from the opening six matches and taken the club to third in the table.

"Ramoska has known me for over one year. It's good to work with him," he continued. "He knows what I need and what I don't need because he knew my game from Kaunas. It's an advantage for me. It's important always to work hard no matter who I work with. If he is my goalkeeper coach or if it is someone else, it's not so important to me. Good work is the main thing, I can train with anyone.

"At the moment, we are working in training and games for one aim: at the end of the season we want to be playing in Europe. The club wants to be near the top of the table but this is only the start. We have so many games still to play but the team is improving with each victory."

Kello achieved his first league shutout in Saturday's victory over Inverness ? a source of great satisfaction. "I was thinking before the game about that. I didn't have a clean sheet and I hoped it would happen for me," he said.

"Winning is always a good result and 1-0 is a good scoreline because it means the defence and goalkeeper have done their jobs. I haven't thought about setting a target for clean sheets, I just want more and more. It's good for my confidence and for everybody in the team.

"I want to impress everybody here and keep the ball out of the Hearts goal.

"We want to win every game and it's in our ability to do this. We are a young team but we have confidence now from our results. We have more to learn but we are going the right direction and our performances will keep rising."

Progressive performances also mean growing reputations. If Kello's current form continues in tandem with Hearts' resurgence, public adulation is sure to follow.

It's very early days but I've been really impressed by him. Great shot-stopper, confident off his line and can quickly set up attacks with his excellent distribution.

Well done Csaba and thank you Kaunas. Credit where credit's due.

Buffalo Bill

Have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by Kello, hopefully he keeps up the good performances and stays with Hearts, but still get the feeling he'll not be around long term.

It's very early days but I've been really impressed by him. Great shot-stopper, confident off his line and can quickly set up attacks with his excellent distribution.

Well done Csaba and thank you Kaunas. Credit where credit's due.

Buffalo Bill

well said BB my thoughts exactly

Archived