Help req'd from a sports scientist

Gambo

I am about to seriously start training for half marathons/loch ness duathlon (10k run and 22k cycle) after finding this years duathlon tough. I thought i trained hard enough but evidently not, i mainly put this down to my eating drinking habits.

I need help (25year since i 'learned' about them at school........foods food for me) for someone to tell me what 'carbs' are and why and when do i need them, what are protiens and when and why do i need them etc etc etc.

Ie what should i eat before going for a run and how long beforehand, what should i eat/drink during excercise, and what should i eat/drink afterwards to help my body recover and stay fit.

I enjoy a pint/wine , Sunday morning fry-up and do not want to cut them out altogether.

Looking for someone to say you need carbs/protiens etc (and give examples as to what equates to carbs/protiens) at this time but not at that time, also as to how much alcohol i can healthily take.

Cheers for any help.

I am about to seriously start training for half marathons/loch ness duathlon (10k run and 22k cycle) after finding this years duathlon tough. I thought i trained hard enough but evidently not, i mainly put this down to my eating drinking habits.

I need help (25year since i 'learned' about them at school........foods food for me) for someone to tell me what 'carbs' are and why and when do i need them, what are protiens and when and why do i need them etc etc etc.

Ie what should i eat before going for a run and how long beforehand, what should i eat/drink during excercise, and what should i eat/drink afterwards to help my body recover and stay fit.

I enjoy a pint/wine , Sunday morning fry-up and do not want to cut them out altogether.

Looking for someone to say you need carbs/protiens etc (and give examples as to what equates to carbs/protiens) at this time but not at that time, also as to how much alcohol i can healthily take.

Cheers for any help.

Carbs are found in things like Pasta, bread, Potatoes etc.

Proteins are found in meats, fish, eggs and nuts along with other things. Protein is used for building up and repairing muscle after doing weights etc.

It would really depend on the type of workout you were doing to determine what you should be eating though.

As for drinking your best bet would be water. Although some energy drinks claim to provide extra benefits (which they may well do) over ?1 a pop is a bit OTT. Although I think you can get Gatorade which can be diluted into water, not sure how you go about getting it but a boy on my football team used to take it to training.

Before running maybe a banana or something similar to give a carb boost would work out well. not too close beforehand though, I'd usually give it 30mins-1hr after eating something small (e.g. banana) and 1hr-1.5hrs after a meal before running/cycling. Afterwards a bit of protein to help your muscles recover usually does the trick.

A useful tip would be to maybe buy Mens Health or a similar magazine as they usually have a good bit on nutrition in every issue.

PS I'm not a sports scientist but I regularly go to the gym and am quite interested in nutrition.

one of the key things you should be looking at is hydration during the event, this means drinking plenty beforehand and during your event. if you are thirsty or dry its pretty much too late and this will affect how your body reacts. Also get some enrgy bars gels to load while exercising.

As a side note fry ups and beer are not really a good call when training for an event - best save them for a reward once you've got the goal/time etc you aimed for.

Nutrition is much more simple than people try to make out (especially the horrible pseudo-scientific Gillian McKeith).

Stick to wholemeal foods: Brown bread/rice/pasta. Porridge.

Eat plenty of oily fish - grilled or if you have to fry just use a smidgen of olive oil. Make sure you eat lean meat like chicken. A fillet steak won't do you too much harm. Keep that for your treat.

Lots of fruit and veg - as much variety as possible. Try to make every piece of fruit/veg you eat a different colour in a day.

Mens Health is a good shout. There should also be plenty of endurance training forums out there that will give you more specific advice.

(Like Tommy, I have no official qualifications, but I've worked in the fitness industry for 7 years, so I've picked up a fair bit of knowledge).

Alright mate, i have a degree in Sports Science and work as as fitness instructor and the advice re nutrition the guys have already said is spot on. Re. your comments re still liking your fry up's, I would say that would be fine, if you are training and eating correctly 5/6 days a week and fancy a pint or a fry up on a saturday or sunday wont do you much harm - as I would imagine your diet would have improved greatly for the other days. Try and cut those out your diet a couple of weeks before the event though.

Had a wee look on the tinternet and this website is correct in it's advice...

http://www.realbuzz.com/en-gb/RSS/index?pageID=420

Its obvious, but nutrition and training are the key.

Any specific questions about foods feel free to ask, as I say the responses posted before are spot on.

Good luck.

Archived