Dundee United v Hearts -27/09/08

Statto

It may be a bit premature, but how do you think next weekend's game will go?

I feel Dundee United like playing in open games, they can take advantage of slack play, in the weekend game v Aberdeen, the first 15 minutes of both halves, each team had chances to score. United have threats, Gomis, Daly and Sandaza, if we can keep them quiet I think we could definitely get something from the game, quite possibly a win.

A 4-5-1 is probally the best way to go, not just to keep the game tight but we don't have fit strikers who can score goals, they may have the ability but aren't on form just now. Why put 2 or 3 strikers on that can't score, strengthen the other positions.

The back 4 seem to be pretty strong, Jonsson has really impressed me, Zaliukas and Berra know each others game, Wallace can do the basics, short passing blocking etc. Obua is probally the long term solution to that postion until/if we get someone else in. Kello played well against Inverness, he seems to be turning into a great find.

Stewart will be able to trouble Dundee United, Miko, Kingston, Driver, whoever is playing can attack and defend well enough as well.

The number one focus in this game will be concentrate, if we don't give anything away Dundee United shouldn't be able to break us down, they beat Aberdeen at the weekend but, it was a penalty (not an open play goal) and they (Aberdeen) play much more openly than we do. If we keep things tight for 20 minutes or so, control the game, not let them in, I think we could get the 3 points.

Also, at 2/1, what a great price we are to win the game.

It'll be a tough game. United haven't had a good start but I think they'll finish high up the league. I'd be happy with a draw next week.

The next five games will tell us a lot about how the team's shaping up. United, Killie, Hobos, Aberdeen and Celtic (not sure in what order) constitutes a stiffer test than the fixtures we've had so far. If we're still around the top four after that lot we'll have made a very good start.

ToadKiller Dog

United at tannadice will be a toughie more so if they get there tails up playing down that slope.it will be tough if we get an early goal and try to hold.

I think there are gaps to exploit in there defence if we can inject a bit of pace into passing play when attacking.

I think they will go for us with a lot of high balls and make it a physical game.

United at tannadice will be a toughie more so if they get there tails up playing down that slope.it will be tough if we get an early goal and try to hold.

I think there are gaps to exploit in there defence if we can inject a bit of pace into passing play when attacking.

I think they will go for us with a lot of high balls and make it a physical game.

I've never thought of Dundee United as a physical team, hopefully if they go for the tough tackling approach, Jonsson, Zaliukas, Karipidis and Stewart can handle it enough to stick to our game and play proper football.

Hopefully if they go for the high balls - which actually seems the only way team can get past our back line on current form - hopefully we can deal with it as well as we did against ICT.

If we can keep a clean sheet that would be enough for me. It is a long season, we have a young team and it is all about building confidence just now.

If we can keep a clean sheet that would be enough for me. It is a long season, we have a young team and it is all about building confidence just now.

Just out of interest, what was the average age of the team yesterday?

What was Hibs'?

That may burst a few big green bubbles.

Just out of interest, what was the average age of the team yesterday?

What was Hibs'?

That may burst a few big green bubbles.

No idea but I can't remember us having a defence as young as the one we have just now.

22 Ma-Kalambay

26 van Zanten

28 Jones

23 Hogg

20 Stevenson

25 Keenan

25 Rankin

23 Shiels

27 Murray

21 Fletcher

27 Nish

Tot 267

Av 24.27

26 Kello

20 Jonsson

24 Zaliukas

23 Berra

21 Lee Wallace

24 Mikoliunas

27 Stewart

27 Kingston

25 Karipidis

31 Ksanavicius

20 Mole

Totsl 268

Av 24.36

Not much in it. Damn Shammy bumping our age up :P

The age difference between the Hibs and Hearts starting line ups was 0.09 of a year.

Hibs total was 267, Hearts 268.

We are closer than they think:p

EDIT: too late:)

letsalllaughathobos

i would be happy with a draw up at tannadice i also think we could win we have looked good away from home this year.(just a bit unlucky).

hopefully we will see tullberg at some point.

A clean sheet !!!

Is that the level of your ambition ?

Tbh, im not expecting us to win. No matter what form United are in its always a difficult place to go to. Not going to be many goals, but cant see us kepping a clean sheet. Could either be 2-1,1-1 or 1-2, I just dunno.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Next week will be an interesting barometer of how our season should pan out. If we lose, as I expect, it confirms the level I think the team is capable of (5th/6th). If we draw, then that's a decent result and it may well indicate that we'll compete for Europe. If we win, though, and have 15pts out of 21, we could easily finish 3rd with that kind of form.

Either way, it is a huge game for us and a big test for Csaba.

22 Ma-Kalambay

26 van Zanten

28 Jones

23 Hogg

20 Stevenson

25 Keenan

25 Rankin

23 Shiels

27 Murray

21 Fletcher

27 Nish

Tot 267

Av 24.27

26 Kello

20 Jonsson

24 Zaliukas

23 Berra

21 Lee Wallace

24 Mikoliunas

27 Stewart

27 Kingston

25 Karipidis

31 Ksanavicius

20 Mole

Totsl 268

Av 24.36

Not much in it. Damn Shammy bumping our age up :P

You'll never win anything with kids as Alan Hansen once infamously said ;)

Did Hibs not sell all their best young players?

A clean sheet !!!

Is that the level of your ambition ?

I'd prefer if we win but 0-0 is a good result. The manager would be happy, the players would be happy and the fans would be happy.

With Nade playing behind Mole, I reckon we could be pretty dangerous.

You're at the wind up, right? :eek:

Firstly, i hope Nade gets a start to see if he really is up for it this season. Mole hasn`t really done much wrong but he`s not done much right either(if that makes sense???)

To me, he`s just a run of the mill lad who`ll work hard but really has no effect on a game.

I really think we have to raise our game this week. DU will play at a high tempo and we must match them off the ball and be sharp on it ourselves.

It`s all well and good saying the tactics where perfect v ICT ( acc to Shabba) but what happens if we fall behind or we aren`t playing well, under pressure but holding it 0-0?

I just feel we need to assert ourselves far better going forward than we did on Saturday.

I'd prefer if we win but 0-0 is a good result. The manager would be happy, the players would be happy and the fans would be happy.

How can tell before the match is played if 0-0 is a good result or if the players are happy with it ?

Firstly, i hope Nade gets a start to see if he really is up for it this season. Mole hasn`t really done much wrong but he`s not done much right either(if that makes sense???)

To me, he`s just a run of the mill lad who`ll work hard but really has no effect on a game.

I really think we have to raise our game this week. DU will play at a high tempo and we must match them off the ball and be sharp on it ourselves.

It`s all well and good saying the tactics where perfect v ICT ( acc to Shabba) but what happens if we fall behind or we aren`t playing well, under pressure but holding it 0-0?

I just feel we need to assert ourselves far better going forward than we did on Saturday.

Wilkie & co against Mole, yeah our lad will win his fair share of headers!:rolleyes:

Agree Debut we need to start well and not to be afraid to pass the ba' - we can pass it well at times and lets get Eggy and Wallace bombing up these wings because they are young lads who should be able to do this.

Wilkie & co against Mole, yeah our lad will win his fair share of headers!:rolleyes:

Agree Debut we need to start well and not to be afraid to pass the ba' - we can pass it well at times and lets get Eggy and Wallace bombing up these wings because they are young lads who should be able to do this.

I think Jinky is slowly warming to RB. He was possibly told to sit in on Saturday as he didn`t venture forward too much(whether that was tactics i don`t know?)

As you say CJ, we`ve got the legs on both sides of the park and i`d like to see both full backs getting beyond our wide men ocassionally.

Take a draw. They are always up for it against us. And defensively better than any sides we have beaten this season. 1 forward with the midget behind would be a disaster here. Dodds and Wilkie solid in the air so high balls to one forward would be bread and butter. Also the midget would get even less time on the ball from Bauben and Gomis than he did at the weekend.

This will hopefully be Nade's first start of the season. With Nade playing behind Mole, I reckon we could be pretty dangerous.

Nade in the hole is not a bad idea, as he could have the attributes to make it work. Saw Carlton Cole play the same role for West Ham at the weekend to great effect.

Take a draw. They are always up for it against us. And defensively better than any sides we have beaten this season. 1 forward with the midget behind would be a disaster here. Dodds and Wilkie solid in the air so high balls to one forward would be bread and butter. Also the midget would get even less time on the ball from Bauben and Gomis than he did at the weekend.

Well, two things to combat that.

(1) Persist on the deck and make sure we get plenty men up in support. Problem with that though is it doesn`t work out like that in football. You can`t avoid long high balls sometimes and at the moment we seem to be sitting too deep when we get possession thus lack of maroon shirts in the last third.

(2) My preferred option. Play two upfront and stick Nade on that dumpling Dodds and get him turning. Nade has the power and skill to get behind defences and hold up possession. Or you could play him up top himself with AN Other in the "hole". I just think Mole will be swamped.

FWIW I think we are better equipped to beat United than last season as it appears we are more content to pass through the middle than hump the ball. Any high ball through the middle will be meat and drink to Wilkie and Co however balls played on the deck and good quality from wide positions should pull them out a little. Still think for long periods our back four and goalkeeper will need to be at their best.

Once more we are talking about being negative and hard to beat away from home -- why not attack their weakest point -- their defence.

Time to have faith and play with a more forward face -- return of Driver along with Miko to support the forward with Stewart and Kingston to support them and Karipidis to play holding role.

Or even 4-4-2 with Glen coming into the team.

The middle of their defence is not the quickest and can be exploited.

But a win would be even better for confidence. Even better if we kept a clean sheet too. I reckon Utd. will get a lot better as the season goes on, so it would be good to get a win just now.

We need to play the ball on the deck v Dundee United, most definitely, they have a physical back 4, who aren't afraid of a challenge, high balls will be pretty ineffective against them. I think we should definitely start with Nade, he has the attributes that could win us the game, Mole will work for you but we have other players that can do this also, Stewart for example.

If Driver is back, I think Kingston should go either in the middle with Stewart with a free role, or the reverse, with Ksanavicius dropped for the game, not because he has been poor over the last few weeks, but because this isn't his type of game, he is about 4 foot 3", you can't make him go against a 6 foot something, he will have no presense on the pitch, Kingston, Stewart and Nade all have this.

Very difficult game for us, you lot have started the season well, seem to be making plenty chances aswell, just not converting enough.

We were shocking on saturday but won, week before we were very good at ER and lost.

Suppose it depends what we do at home to Airdrie tomorrow, i hope saturday doesnt become a battle of Airdrie victims.

I see Hearts as the strongest side outside the Old Firm and a win would be a very good result but a draw looks more likely at the moment.

Very difficult game for us, you lot have started the season well, seem to be making plenty chances aswell, just not converting enough.

We were shocking on saturday but won, week before we were very good at ER and lost.

Suppose it depends what we do at home to Airdrie tomorrow, i hope saturday doesnt become a battle of Airdrie victims.

I see Hearts as the strongest side outside the Old Firm and a win would be a very good result but a draw looks more likely at the moment.

You are more positive about our club than half the 'fans' on this board.

Waste of time going - Dougie McDonald is the ref. That's how strongly I feel about that Hobo ****:mad:

Is it ture the only game we've won under him was the gretna cup final?

Or is that a myth?

We_are_the_Hearts
Is it ture the only game we've won under him was the gretna cup final?

Or is that a myth?

Livingston 1 Hearts 4 as well. He must have been on drugs that day though as he even gave us a dodgy penalty. Him and Dougal can't stand us now though and they make it so obvious.

Hate to say it but I think we'll get beat.After watching that poor performance on Saturday then I can't find any enthusiasm at all.We are beginning to look just as bad as last season. 2-0 to Utd! Hope I'm wrong though!:(

Archived