Defending too deep..

janie jones

It seems to me regardless of playing two up front or a lone striker part of the reason we were so poor yesterday was the defence sat far too deep and were too slow coming out when we broke forward. This meant the midfield having to drop back leaving Mole and Kisnivacous isolated.

I can hardly recall either Eggy or Wallace overlapping and getting into the final third and at times it was embarassing at how few players we had in or around their box when we were on the attack. Larry's lack of application to support quickly doesn't help and Drivers return will help but at home to teams like ICT we should be more adventurous.

Maybe yesterday was about winning but it was only by good fortune and good goalkeeping IMO. One of the reason we overwhelmed teams under GB was because we attacked as a team, pressing the game high up the park with both full backs often going beyond the midfield. Whilst I appreciate the quality isn't the same I would like to see CL encourage the team to play in a similar style.

Guest jambomickey
It seems to me regardless of playing two up front or a lone striker part of the reason we were so poor yesterday was the defence sat far too deep and were too slow coming out when we broke forward. This meant the midfield having to drop back leaving Mole and Kisnivacous isolated.

I can hardly recall either Eggy or Wallace overlapping and getting into the final third and at times it was embarassing at how few players we had in or around their box when we were on the attack. Larry's lack of application to support quickly doesn't help and Drivers return will help but at home to teams like ICT we should be more adventurous.

Maybe yesterday was about winning but it was only by good fortune and good goalkeeping IMO. One of the reason we overwhelmed teams under GB was because we attacked as a team, pressing the game high up the park with both full backs often going beyond the midfield. Whilst I appreciate the quality isn't the same I would like to see CL encourage the team to play in a similar style.

jonnsson is just getting used to his new position and lee wallace is a hit or a miss! but the main thing is we got the 3 points and the players are giving 100% for csaba

Doctor FinnBarr

Spot on bud and if Larry would look at MS as a roll model then look out SPL!

;)

Couldn't agree more, my mate and I are continually talking about Berra and Zaliukas being too deep which either isolates the midfield resulting in longer passes or as you say the midfield have to drop bacl looking for the ball and this results in the front players being isolated.

I am amazed that Csaba does not seem to be urging them to get further forward as he is extremely animated on the touchline.

Berra as Captain should be urging his defence out but then he is often the one lying deepest so he is hardly setting a good example.

This is one of the reasons why I think we should have bought an experienced centre half before the transfer deadline to help Berra gain in confidence because he is a decent enough player but I think he lacks a bit of self belief.

Archived