Davis Cup!

rossi_1983

Murray just levelled the tie, with an excellent performance to beat Melzer 3-1

Surely Britain can now secure their place in the World Group, by beating Alexander Peya who is ranked only 168th...oh wait, our only other single player is Alex Bogdanovic :eek:

THis is going to be very tight. Its on BBC 2 just now

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Murray just levelled the tie, with an excellent performance to beat Melzer 3-1

Surely Britain can now secure their place in the World Group, by beating Alexander Peya who is ranked only 168th...oh wait, our only other single player is Alex Bogdanovic :eek:

THis is going to be very tight. Its on BBC 2 just now

We'll lose. Unfortunately, Alex Bogdanovic is pish :sad:

Hope I'm wrong though.

Typical Bogdanovic!

He has been the better player but has bottled it. Peya has been trying his best to throw it away this set, and just playing nothing shots, but Bogdanovic can't even keep the ball in court to pressure him

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Typical Bogdanovic!

He has been the better player but has bottled it. Peya has been trying his best to throw it away this set, and just playing nothing shots, but Bogdanovic can't even keep the ball in court to pressure him

I was looking at the guy's stats on the ATP Tour site and they are truly awful. What is far more impressive are his earnings to date - almost $100,000 this season (for winning one match lol) and $500,000 during his career. Quite how he's pulled that off is anyone's guess.

I was looking at the guy's stats on the ATP Tour site and they are truly awful. What is far more impressive are his earnings to date - almost $100,000 this season (for winning one match lol) and $500,000 during his career. Quite how he's pulled that off is anyone's guess.

Who Bogdanovic or Peya?!

He is actually quite a talented player, and has the skills to be a top 100 player easily. He doesn't have the mentality or fitness (due to his attitude) to achieve such a level unfortunately

Dusk_Till_Dawn
He is actually quite a talented player, and has the skills to be a top 100 player easily. He doesn't have the mentality or fitness (due to his attitude) to achieve such a level unfortunately

The question still stands - how on earth has he earned $500,000?

Thats incredible. I thought he'd be struggling to make a living. He's got ability just has that something missing on the mental side of things. Don't think he'll ever fulfill his potential of being a top 100 player, although i'd like to be proved wrong.

The question still stands - how on earth has he earned $500,000?

It's crazy just how comfortably off these guys can be for being mediocre. Jeremy Bates was loaded, driving Porsches, wearing Rolexes and living in a fine house. Admittedly, a lot of that was funded by sponsorship because he was the best that Britain had and British firms wanted to put their money somewhere, regardless of his world ranking being only 99 or whatever. Of course, when the Tiger came along and started actually being good, folks' perspective changed.

Boggers will have had that $500k from a career which, so far, has limped along for, what, 6 years? So that's $83k a year which is about ?50 grand (I'm not looking at exch rates here). By the time you look at the wild cards to Wimbledon, the Artois and so on, that ?50k comes round pretty quick. Some of these smaller tournies get you ?2-3 grand just for making the second round & over a grand for just being in the thing.

Davis Cup is not the most exciting tournament, though, is it?

It's crazy just how comfortably off these guys can be for being mediocre. Jeremy Bates was loaded, driving Porsches, wearing Rolexes and living in a fine house. Admittedly, a lot of that was funded by sponsorship because he was the best that Britain had and British firms wanted to put their money somewhere, regardless of his world ranking being only 99 or whatever. Of course, when the Tiger came along and started actually being good, folks' perspective changed.

Boggers will have had that $500k from a career which, so far, has limped along for, what, 6 years? So that's $83k a year which is about ?50 grand (I'm not looking at exch rates here). By the time you look at the wild cards to Wimbledon, the Artois and so on, that ?50k comes round pretty quick. Some of these smaller tournies get you ?2-3 grand just for making the second round & over a grand for just being in the thing.

Davis Cup is not the most exciting tournament, though, is it?

In fairness your use of the word mediocre is a bit off, i mean he's the 163rd (currently, has been as high as 108) best tennis player in the world. He's therefore clearly incredibly talented and gifted, but is just missing that something to really take him to the top.

If you think about it relatively- how much do you think the 163rd best footballer/golfer/lawyer/doctor etc etc in the world is making. Prob substantially more than ?50,000 a year anyway.

Back on topic though, $20000ish came from turning up at Wimbledon for 1 afternoon this year... http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/pdf/Prize_Money_2008.pdf

I can only guess the rest is for qualifying for tournies then losing at first hurdle, and for doing well in challenger events below the main ATP Tour.

Archived