Gary McKay

MacDonald Jardine

MacDonald Jardine

I was in Waterstones yesterday and they're advertising Gary McKay signing his book "Maroon Heart" in October.

First I've heard of this. Does anyone know anything about it?

Product Description

If you cut Gary Mackay he would bleed maroon. Born and bred a stone's throw from his beloved Tynecastle he played 737 times for Hearts, more than anyone else in history and became a Scotland international in the process. In 2006 he was one of the first inductees into the Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame, an honour he describes as the culmination of his love affair with the club. You will not find a more committed Jambo anywhere. Gary Mackay was an outstanding youth player, winning innumerable trophies with his club Salvesen before signing for Hearts at the age of sixteen. He also represented Scotland at youth level and the highlight of his career came in 1982 when Scotland won the European youth championships in Finland. It remains the only major trophy that Scotland has ever won. During his career at Tynecastle, Mackay was right at the centre of many dramatic events. He describes the 1980s renaissance under the inspirational leadership of Alex Macdonald, explaining how Hearts regained its rightful place in the top echelon of Scottish football after a long spell in the doldrums. He charts with great relish the astonishing number of victories he chalked up against city rivals, Hibs, but is frank about the heartache caused by narrowly missing out on many trophies, particularly in 1985/86 when the league title was lost on goal difference. Mackay also gives us a fascinating insight into the larger-than-life personalities he encountered in Gorgie, men whom he came to know well. They include Vladimir Romanov, Wallace Mercer, Joe Jordan, Sandy Clark, Tommy McLean, John Robertson and Craig Levein. If anything his love for Hearts seemed to become even stronger after he left the club. He was one of the leading lights in the Save Our Hearts movement, which vigorously campaigned to stop the proposed move away from Tynecastle stadium, a venue he describes as the club's spiritual home. Passionate, committed, provocative, this is a book that will delight everyone with an interest not only in Heart of Midlothian but also in Scottish football. Includes 16 pages of photographs, most in colour, charting his career from youth football to the Premier League and Scotland international matches.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/190576913X/ref=dp_image_text_0/203-2923325-4996710?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

Are you doing the foreword?

No, I'll be washing Mr Mackay's car as usual that day.

Buffalo Bill

My all time favourite Hearts player.

I have only met him briefly a couple of times, next time I will get his autograph, always too "star struck" to ask, daft I know for a 40 year old but hey ho.

Great player and great attitude, I will certainly be buying his book,

Rod.

Son Of Anarchy
I was in Waterstones yesterday and they're advertising Gary McKay signing his book "Maroon Heart" in October.

First I've heard of this. Does anyone know anything about it?

I know his names spelt MACKAY not mckay:p

A true legend, a true Hearts legend, a true Hearts supporter. Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times now and especially throughout the save our hearts campaign. Really nice guy and will deffo be buying his book.

He spared some of his own time to come and give us a pep talk before the charity game at Tynie in 2006.

Very open and he loves a chat about Hearts. Loved his story about his early days at Hearts and how he felt pre-derby games and how it was all about controlling yourself.

He said he couldn`t sleep before his first one and he was absolutely hyper. Leading up to his second derby he said to Sandy Jardine that he has trouble sleeping before big games. Sandy handed him a pill and told him to take it before going to bed the night previous to the game.

He slept like a baby and when he got to the stadium he asked SJ what it was and he said it was an aspirin! He`d obviously tricked Gary but he was making the point that it`s all about self control if you are get the best from yourself.

Obviously didn`t work for Gary all the time because he got sent off in a derby about 10 years after that story for stamping on John Collins!:P

Toxteth O'Grady

Obviously didn`t work for Gary all the time because he got sent off in a derby about 10 years after that story for stamping on John Collins!:P

Nowt wrong with that though:)

Archived