Now that's what I call a right back

Buffalo Bill

Well done Csaba for finding a great position for a highly talented young player.

And what's more: Jonsson seems to have added a fair amount of 'bite' to his game. This guy is going to be worth millions to us.

Happy days at right back.

Buffalo Bill

Outstanding today.

Sincerely hope we stick with developing him in this position and Robbie doesnt walk back into the team!

I would like to think even when Neilson comes back Jonsson is still playing right back (Well as long as he keeps performing).

Some of his tackles really were crunching. One of the things that gives the crowd a real lift.

Really pleased with him.

Absolutely brilliant, the guy's only 20/21 and he's bouncing grown men off him and winning challenges he has no right to! Nice to see some real steel in the team!

Sounds like he could be our Ray Kennedy or Kenny Burns (ie. guys who arrived at a club claiming to play in a certain position only to find their best form in another).

'Crunching'

The word that describes his tackling like no other.

Buffalo Bill

'Crunching'

The word that describes his tackling like no other.

Buffalo Bill

Agree everyone around me was flinching every time he threw himself into another 'crunching' tackle!

Cloud cuckoo land.

Some promise, long way to go. It was ICT men we were playing.

My summary; some promise, long way to go.

Danny McGrain was a right back.

Nucky Thompson
Well done Csaba for finding a great position for a highly talented young player.

And what's more: Jonsson seems to have added a fair amount of 'bite' to his game. This guy is going to be worth millions to us.

Buffalo Bill

Don't you know Csaba should be sacked for playing players out of position;) Eggy has been awesome at RB.

Thanks for the post Buffalo.

Perhaps Csaba is going to sort this lot out from the defence first.

Reports are good for Kello as well, would that be fair?

Deodato

marshallschunkychicken

Deodato

Very fair.

Seemed assured, commanded his box well. I was a bit worried when he went well outside his box at a corner, but the ball went straight to him.

Defensively he is looking quite good. The more he plays there, the better his positional play will be, looking along the line, passing strikers on or sticking with them etc. etc.

What he needs to develop to be top class is the ability to overlap the right midfielder regularly (at the correct time) and stick a decent ball into the box.

I hate to say it but the way Hutton plays and the right back at Chelsea should be what full backs model their game on.

If I was a manager I would put together compilation videos of top class player in each position and issue them to the players to watch again and again, especially the morning of a match.

Strawberry Jam

Agree with OP - was impressed with Jonsson, he's certainly not scared to tackle!! Looks far more comfortable than Thomson.

Buffalo Bill

Couldnt agree more.Eggert is going to a class act at right back or in midfield. I think he is only 19.

Cloud cuckoo land.

Some promise, long way to go. It was ICT men we were playing.

My summary; some promise, long way to go.

Danny McGrain was a right back.

ICT are an SPL team we'll be likely to play three,four (maybe more) times a season.

They are our bread and butter and unless we're playing Man Utd next week, I don't get your point.

Buffalo Bill

Randle P McMurphy
Defensively he is looking quite good. The more he plays there, the better his positional play will be, looking along the line, passing strikers on or sticking with them etc. etc.

What he needs to develop to be top class is the ability to overlap the right midfielder regularly (at the correct time) and stick a decent ball into the box.

I hate to say it but the way Hutton plays and the right back at Chelsea should be what full backs model their game on.

If I was a manager I would put together compilation videos of top class player in each position and issue them to the players to watch again and again, especially the morning of a match.

I agree, its the offensive part of the position he needs to work on. Personally I still feel his best position is central midfield, he is a top player though wherever he plays.

Deodato

See the Kello thread mate. Makes very good reading.

Buffalo Bill

Struggled in the first half with Zal/Karipidis having to help him out a lot, lack of assistance from Kingston did not help him. Improved a lot in the second half.

Would stick with him at right back but still has a lot to learn in that position imo.

Struggled in the first half with Zal/Karipidis having to help him out a lot, lack of assistance from Kingston did not help him. Improved a lot in the second half.

Would stick with him at right back but still has a lot to learn in that position imo.

I'm with Gambo on this one. Eggert was decent today but I think most of you are going way over the top with the level of praise.

He's going to be good but he's still got a way to go.

He has done well at right back so far.

I think he might get to the highest level he is capable of at right back - in a top league if he develops well.

But he could do more good for us in the centre of midfield. I would like to see us sign McArthur of Hamilton - and with Jonsson and Stewart in the centre of midfield that would give us a great base for a 4-3-2-1 formation, with Miko and Driver playing off a striker.

Nice to see you still talking up Zal regardless of how bad he plays. :P

Totally agree about Eggy though personally he really struggled in the first half. Came onto a decent game in the 2nd though and must be hardest tackler we have at the club. Loved it when he started battered grown men off the park. :)

TUCKS--- Eggy outstanding????????????????????????????????????? were u at the game?????????????????? he was fair at best. if thats ur evaluation of an outstanding perrformance then ur easy pleased!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nucky Thompson
TUCKS--- Eggy outstanding????????????????????????????????????? were u at the game?????????????????? he was fair at best. if thats ur evaluation of an outstanding perrformance then ur easy pleased!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eggy/Keenan, Keenan/Eggy:4_1_72:

Buffalo Bill

I called this one wrong. He did seem capable today

time will tell tho

Deodato

At last we have a keeper who will come out through his defenders for high balls. Commands his area. I like that.

He was far better than the first time I saw him play there - against Airdrie - early days but it seems he is moving in the right direction with each game he plays at right-back.

He was solid today, still getting a lot of direction from Csaba when we're shootong towards the roseburn, but he seems to be getting better with every game.

Are you guys serious??? Jonsson was an absolute bombscare at right-back against Caley. Two or three good tackles, I'll admit, but otherwise, very poor. Any time he had control of the ball he just booted it up the park to an opposition player.

I find this thread..surprising.

Jonsson looks more comfortable and assured than Thomson but he isn't actually any more effective. Both have scary moments and both seem to get away with them. So does big Zal in the middle.

No doubting his talent, his stamina or his tackling. A few rough edges in his new position but he's certainly a player.

Lucky not to get a few foul throws against him too (but again he can learn that).

Like Hearts he is a work in progress -- we have to remember he is still very young and the position is new to him.

After all what was Hutton for example like at 19 -- not even in the first team squad.

Harder tests to come -- for example Hibs away when he will more than likely be up against Roirdan who seems to operate on the left.

Archived