Accelerated LLB Degree

buca junior

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has done a conversion to a law degree after already completing a first degree or has any advice.

Cheers

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has done a conversion to a law degree after already completing a first degree or has any advice.

Cheers

Started doing it the opposite way, 6 year night school LLB at Teeside Poly when I was working down there. Total nightmare, 10% completion rate plus I didn't realise that the majority of the studying had to be done in the law library so I was leaving home at 7a.m. and getting back at 10p.m. every night. Fortunately I got offered my first job abroad after 2 months so was one of the first of the 90% failures! My advice would be don't bother with this route! Would be interested in a PM if you find out any info on the conversion route though mate.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Think you can do a 2 year conversion course at Aberdeen uni. This is from my flat mate who is currently doing a history degree and is planning on doing a conversion course to law and was quoted 2 years, full time by his advisor.

Think you can do a 2 year conversion course at Aberdeen uni. This is from my flat mate who is currently doing a history degree and is planning on doing a conversion course to law and was quoted 2 years, full time by his advisor.

That is what I have been told.

Going into 3rd year history (so 2 years to go) then 2 year law degree should I go down that route.

I done the 2 year LLB at Edinburgh Uni. What is it you want to know??

Hey, just how you found the demands of the course, etc. Also in the course at Edinburgh did you have to do a dissertation? After did you continue with a diploma/training contract?

I'm doing the 4 year honours LLB but know for a fact you don't have to do a dissertation if you already have a degree.

The 2 year accelerated LLB just involves you doing 1st and 2nd year of law. This involves 6 classes in 1st year, each of which you'll have an exam for (2 in Dec, 4 in April/May) then 2nd year is the same but much more demanding in terms of numbers of classes- can't remember exactly but its something like 11 over the year with 3 exams in Dec and 8 (:eek:) in April/May.

Its pretty much just a test of memory but its pretty stressful around exam time. 40% pass rate but doing the 2 year only course means you may be expected to get higher marks. I was a typical student 1st and 2nd year and never worked hard enough, however if you do you should be fine.

You may have a couple of essays in total over the 2 years but it is very very exam based on the whole. Which was good for me but may not be so for you, just depends what you prefer. I'm better at the panic cramming than i am at writing essays!

heartgarfunkel

Cheers

The three year MA (usually in History), then the two year LLB, used to be a very common route into the law. I know a few who took this route relatively recently at Edinburgh University and have gone on to rapid success in their profession. Good at prioritising and handling pressure!

I'm doing the 4 year honours LLB but know for a fact you don't have to do a dissertation if you already have a degree.

The 2 year accelerated LLB just involves you doing 1st and 2nd year of law. This involves 6 classes in 1st year, each of which you'll have an exam for (2 in Dec, 4 in April/May) then 2nd year is the same but much more demanding in terms of numbers of classes- can't remember exactly but its something like 11 over the year with 3 exams in Dec and 8 (:eek:) in April/May.

Its pretty much just a test of memory but its pretty stressful around exam time. 40% pass rate but doing the 2 year only course means you may be expected to get higher marks. I was a typical student 1st and 2nd year and never worked hard enough, however if you do you should be fine.

You may have a couple of essays in total over the 2 years but it is very very exam based on the whole. Which was good for me but may not be so for you, just depends what you prefer. I'm better at the panic cramming than i am at writing essays!

Pretty much what he said. You will have exams at christmas and May/june, with the bulk being sat in the May Diet. The second year is the most testing with 8 exams spread out over the May diet alone. This will be a test of self-discipline, however a thouroughly enjoyable experience if you have a passion for the subject. I have to say, most of the courses are extremely interesting, however there is the odd exception where you will simply have to grit your teeth and get on with it.

Presuming the goal will be to do the Diploma at Edinburgh and then obtain a traineeship, the target should be to come out with a min average of about 55% for all your exams spread over the two years (the first two years of the LLB is the sole criteria for Diploma entry)...

Also you will have to pay your own fees for the grad LLB and the Dip, and this is not a paltry sum let me tell you...

Archived