Big Telly help

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Feck the credit crunch, I need a new telly (the old ones on its way out)

I'm a bit baffled by the whole range available now

Should I buy plasma or lcd? Which brand is best?

I have Virgin Cable so there are a few HD Channels there, do i buy an HD Ready one? 1080 or 720 (what does this mean?)

I have about ?600 to spend from the high street (not buying online)

What do I buy and why?

I have Virgin Cable so there are a few HD Channels there, do i buy an HD Ready one? 1080 or 720 (what does this mean?)

What do I buy and why?

They mean the resolution of the screen. The bigger the number the better.

suppose you can help me as well

got a new'ish 42" picture was great in the shop....now at home...piture pretty gash......whats wrong

What do I buy and why?

40" or below lcd, 42" or above plasma! Stay away from Sony Bravia. I would reccomend Panasonic for quality or Samsung for value.Most if not all are HD ready nowadays, the numbers you quote are reference to the quality of picture the higher the better. Check Argos they have some good deals just now.

Konrad von Carstein

Wouldn't go past any of the LG models, have a 42" plasma (or rather my soon to be ex has!)

Done loads of research before i bought it and this was by far the best IMO

Agree with poster above re size although i'd say 37 or below LCD above this plasma, whatever your choice try to get 2 or more hdmi sockets and spend as much as you can afford.

Currently watchin an 18" portable :sad:

The Marooney Meister

Samsung LCD 37" gets the vote for me, had it about a year and the Virgin HD is amazing although not much in the way of channels yet. Even on SD most folk think it's HD the picture is that good through the HDMI :)

AV forums is a good place to search for bargains and a lot of knowledge in there. Of course there are a lot of different opinions on whats best but you wont go far wrong with either Samsung or Panasonic. Also LCD uses less power so should be a bit cheaper on the leccy bill which is becoming more of an issue now.

The Marooney Meister
suppose you can help me as well

got a new'ish 42" picture was great in the shop....now at home...piture pretty gash......whats wrong

Firstly a lot depends on what your source is and how your connecting it all up. If the showroom demo was HD and all the settings (contrast,colour,brightness etc) were up high it might look pretty impressive through HDMI.

If you take that same telly and connect it to a Standard Definition channel source and maybe connect through a cheap scart cable again with all the settings set to high it will look pretty awful.

So first I would make sure you have decent leads connecting, hdmi doesnt need to be expensive if you have that option, but if using a scart spend a bit on a decent cable. Then spend some time adjuting your settings to get a picture that suits your source and taste.

Hope some of that makes sense and might help.

40" or below lcd, 42" or above plasma! Stay away from Sony Bravia. I would reccomend Panasonic for quality or Samsung for value.Most if not all are HD ready nowadays, the numbers you quote are reference to the quality of picture the higher the better. Check Argos they have some good deals just now.

Out of interest, why do you say that?

I have a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and it is a fantastic TV. I know many people with flat screen TV's and the picture quality on this is the best of the lot.

Get as high a contrast ratio as possible too. Also look out for how many HDMI ports there are. They will become more common place so you may as well future proof your TV. I use an HDMI cable to link my DVD recorder and my TV. It upscales the picture to HD.

Archived