Death is too good for this bi..

Guest Alex Guttenplan

2:11pm UK, Saturday August 30, 2008

A mother found guilty of killing her baby by burning her to death in a microwave is facing the death penalty.

China Arnold, 28, put her baby Paris Tallery in the microwave and cooked her to death following a fight with her boyfriend in 2005.

A jury in Dayton, Ohio, found the mother guilty of aggravated murder and she is now facing the possibility of being sentenced to death.

Arnold showed no reaction when the verdict was announced, only lowering her head to look down at the defence table.

Relatives in the Montgomery County courtroom cried and covered their faces with their hands.

Arnold, her four children and her then-boyfriend Terrell Talley lived in a flat at a housing complex, which has since been condemned.

Her cellmate told the court that Arnold had confessed to putting the baby in the microwave.

She said Arnold told her she turned it on because she was worried her boyfriend would leave her if he found out the child was not his.

Prosecutors said the baby's DNA was found inside the microwave in Arnold's apartment.

Arnold's defence team had claimed an eight-year-old boy was responsible for the death.

Judge John Kessler declared a mistrial in February after he had privately heard testimony from the juvenile and a retrial began on August 18.

The young boy's mother told the court they lived some distance away and they were not at Arnold's apartment complex when the baby died.

Her former boyfriend also said he was certain the boy was not at the flat.

The jurors are due to return to the court on Tuesday to consider whether Arnold will face the death penalty.

Sky News

I've always been pretty much opposed to the death penalty, to be honest - but for her, I'd make an exception! In fact, I'd gladly throw the switch myself!

Archived