Decade 2000-09: What will we remember the 00s for?

Buffalo Bill

Think of the 60s, and you can imagine The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Stones, Jimmy, Jim, Bob, hippies, flower power and Carnaby Street.

Think of the 70s, and you might imagine kipper ties, Thin Lizzy, sit-coms, punk and Abba, Starsky and Hutch.

The 80s was all new romanitcs, dodgy wedge hair doos, The A-Team, stadium rock, Stock Aitken and Waterman, Dallas and shoulder pads.

The 90s had middle parting hair doos, Take That, Britpop, 'football's coming home', Loaded and ladism.

What will we remember the Noughties for?

Is it this?

9-11_1.jpg

Or this?

simon-cowell1.jpg

Or these toss'ers?

bb6_2005.jpg

As James sang: "How was it for you?"

Buffalo Bill

Stop slagging the Big Brother, you know you love it.

I think you hit the nail on the head with 9/11 and the war on terrorism. I can't think of any defining bands/films/fashions that will be associated with the decade unfortunately.

I think it will be remembered for the 2009 nuking of the non-evangelical Christian world by President Palin.

Nah man, I still think Makosi's fake pregnancy would top that.

Buffalo Bill

The biggest boom and bust the world has seen since 1929, the decade of the celeb even for the semi famous and of course 9/11.

That is of course, there is a 2009.

That Big Bang business in Geneva is still not sitting with me at all well.

Buffalo Bill

Guest juvehearts

The most compelling day of the 00's has to be 9/11.

followed by the breakthru in science, the hadron colider.

the sucessful mission to mars

the rise & fall of the markets.

from a hearts POV, another scotish cup win, playing european football, 2nd & playing CL football.

the end of the 'noughties' - far better name than the 'teenies'.

to answer the OQ tho, might be the financial collapse in the last 2 years of the decade if things go on.

Some of the things I think I will remember it for are

9/11, The concorde(think that was in 2000) and columbia disaters, the Boxing Day Tsunami.

Some of the Movies/tv shows I think I will remember it for: Lord Of The Rings, 24 and lost.

Sports:Hearts 2005/2006 season, Indianapolis Colts winning the Super Bowl

and The Boston Red Sox winning not 1 but 2 world series after all that time.

the collapse of some of the greatest, oldest and most important institutions in the world while ****wits keep on banging on about pish like ****ing globilisation, global warming and the war in iraq.

Think the obvious points on the 00's have already been mentioned so thought i'd take a slighty differant slant. Here's some predictions for the end of 00's & what it would be remembered for.

* Sarah Pailin becoming president of USA (McCain won't last the end of the decade)

* Torries coming back to power due to Gordon Browns/Labours unpopularity.

* On-going war on terror (possible another major attack in UK or USA)

*Hurricanes/sever weather (more deadly flooods in South Aisa), another major earthquate in USA or Japan

* A certain team finally winning the scottish cup (well had to put 1 unrealistic thing happening in there) :107years:

The Iraq war, Been a complete waste off time as it was only to get to the oil. Think the obvious one will be 9/11 for everyone. Hope that we never see anything like this ever again

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The increase of little ned ****bags and the influx of Eastern Europeans.

Its only the influx of the Easter European males that bothers me :cool:

The end of one of Scotland's oldest and finest institutions.

9/11 and the following war on terror

Financial and political meltdown.

Nothing very positive from the whole worlds point of view...

But for me:

I celebrated my teen years and 21st in the noughties. Did well at school and uni and have had an absolute riot along the way.

Hearts winning the cup and finishing 2nd in the league.

Hope the next decade can come close :)

Think the obvious points on the 00's have already been mentioned so thought i'd take a slighty differant slant. Here's some predictions for the end of 00's & what it would be remembered for.

* Sarah Pailin becoming president of USA (McCain won't last the end of the decade)

* Torries coming back to power due to Gordon Browns/Labours unpopularity.

* On-going war on terror (possible another major attack in UK or USA)

*Hurricanes/sever weather (more deadly flooods in South Aisa), another major earthquate in USA or Japan

* A certain team finally winning the scottish cup (well had to put 1 unrealistic thing happening in there) :107years:

Montrose?

the collapse of some of the greatest, oldest and most important institutions in the world while ****wits keep on banging on about pish like ****ing globilisation, global warming and the war in iraq.
Well they are all realted to each other.

Reality TV,

Binge Drinking,

Terrorists Attacks,

Weapons of Mass Distruction (or lack of),

Hoodies,

Budget Airlines,

Going Digital,

Fly on the Wall Documentries,

Mocumentries,

Social Networking,

Think the 00's have been depressing bar us winning the cup, The 90' werent much better. Think they have been reality decades. Think the 80's was the last of the feel good years for now. The fashion, 80's music, Mexico 86, good 80's films. Just my opinion though, at 5am, lol

Think the 00's have been depressing bar us winning the cup, The 90' werent much better. Think they have been reality decades. Think the 80's was the last of the feel good years for now. The fashion, 80's music, Mexico 86, good 80's films. Just my opinion though, at 5am, lol

Saying that though, the internet has been one of the greatest things out it all. Even though it was invented in the 50's for the US army.:P

9/11 of course.

The tsunami.

The war on Iraq and...

The execution of Saddam.

Hurricane Katrina.

The SNP coming into power.

The property boom..

The global financial crisis (still a long way to go!)

The rise in oil prices.

Big Brother/reality TV.

Pop Idol/Popstars/X Factor.

Musical comebacks - Take That etc..

Roman Abramovich (strange one, but he pioneered a craze for owning Premiership "playthings").

Ipod.

LCD TVs.

DVD.

Camera phones.

Hybrid cars.

(These tings weren't necessarily invented in the 00s, but will be associated with this decade)

The death of VHS and cassettes.

Bad stuff:

• 9-11, London Bombings and Glasgow Airport - a whole new terrorism.
  • Being led into a war based by my government under false pretences. The irony being if they had just admitetd they wanted rid of Sadam and Bin-laden I would have supported it. Governments will lie, but this was too big.
  • The X-Factor.
  • Oil prices
  • The start of a recession

Good Stuff:

• Hearts win Scottish Cup and make a Champions League appearance
  • Calgarty Flames 2004 Stanley Cup Run
  • My own Inter-railing trip in 2001
  • Buying my first property
  • Starting my Open University adventure
  • SNP form a minority government
  • Concorde retires to East Fortune after being unjustly grounded.

Archived