Martin Bain has a sore erse......

grumpyjambo

The People's Chimp

The whole thing is a massive storm in a teacup; both sets of fans sing songs which leave this one standing in the dust about 5 miles back. It's a nonsense, and the bbc's karaoke coverage hardly helped.

A plague on both their houses.

for sitting on the fence. He seems to refuse to condemm the people who sang "The Famine Song"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7619406.stm

I dont think he is sitting on the fence at all mate, it's clear what side he's on with his comments in that article.

But to be fair (and I aint no lover of the Rankgers thats for sure), it does seem to be one way traffic when it comes to the authorities picking who they aim to challenge and who gets away with it!

for sitting on the fence. He seems to refuse to condemm the people who sang "The Famine Song"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7619406.stm

Can't quite see your point there - he is saying it is unacceptable,don't sing it or you could be arrested but rightly points out that others are singing just as offensive songs with little mention.

I hate them both BTW - they are warts on the skin of Scottish society.

The "tit-for-tat" expression used by Bain sums up the problems with all Rangers and Celtic fans, players, emloyees....

Neither side can see past or outwith the 2 of them and think that Scottish football does not exist without them. Both sides have on many occassion caused embarrassment to themselves with pro sectarian chanting and violence.

Everyone in society outwith those followers of Rangers and Celtic can see that both "sides" have been culpable of this. However all representative such as Martin Bain, Peter Lawell ever do in such circumstances when they come under attack is point the blame at the other side while only giving lip service to condoning their own sides misdemeanours.

This is highlighted on the bbc thread discussing the famine song. The debate of both Rangers and Celtic fans quickly descended into finger pointing with Rangers fans going on about Strachan being attacked by Celtic fans as a player, pro IRA songs, Novo spitting at Celtic fans, and missing the point that they are as bad as each other.

Again when questionable decisions are made in favour of Rangers or Celtic, instead of pundits, fans and the players admitting they were lucky to get decisions in their favour, all Rangers or Celtic do is highlight that the other old firm side got a similar favourable decision so it evens out, regardless of all the other SPL sides suffering for it.

It heartens me to see in the Champions League this season we have unheard of teams such as BATE (Belarus), CFR (Romania), Famagusta (Cyprus) and even AaB (Denmark) competing which offers a small hope that in a scenario where the Old Firm did not compete in the SPL, the league could become more competitive and seems teams grow and even compete in such competitions.

Pathetic really. Rather than condemn bigotry, the CEO of Rangers response is 'aye, but they do it too!'

Only in Scotland would you get such a childish response about something so serious...and it be accepted as a reasonable response.

I agree with what he says, but I think its ill judged for that to be relased as a statement. He'd have been far better just saying what the press & doogooders want to hear.

All he's acheived here is opened himself up to critisism.

I can't understand why Rangers & Celtic can't sit down together and reach an agreement about what is acceptable, then release a joint statement. Or maybe they just do that when they're trying to rip off the rest of the SPL

pathetic response from peter bain, BIG BAIRN comes out and says what either set of bigot brother fans would say or are saying to each other.

A more important question which should be being asked here is why has it suddenly come to attention of authorites and SPL when more serious complaints of behaviour of stewards and police towards hearts fans in both greyskull and hunbrox are never adressed. George Foulkes has written to Strathclyde police in his capacity of a politicaly elected representative regarding matters of stewarding and policing in glasgow yet nothing whatsoever seems to have been done about that.

i am not condoning any songs which some people could find offensive (they are both morons in glesgae) however jambos have been subject to vile verbal and physical abuse for years in weegie land and nothing is ever done about that. they bring their own stewards nowadays to tynecastle in order to assist the edinburgh police. these stewards know exactly who the arseholes are when they come to tynecastle and i cant believ for a minute that the clubs do not know either. with the ticket allocation getting smaller for them and only season ticket holders having access to those tickets they will be on the clubs data bases. why do the clubs never step in to do something about it. by the response of bain it looks like they are not really interested

I agree with what he says, but I think its ill judged for that to be relased as a statement. He'd have been far better just saying what the press & doogooders want to hear.

All he's acheived here is opened himself up to critisism.

I can't understand why Rangers & Celtic can't sit down together and reach an agreement about what is acceptable, then release a joint statement. Or maybe they just do that when they're trying to rip off the rest of the SPL

I'm pretty sure this has been done in the past but it's all just rhetoric and there is absolutely no follow up by either club. They are both aware that the vile nature of their supports is what attracts people to their clubs and they won't bite the hand that feeds them.

Seymour M Hersh
'We have been in contact with Strathclyde Police to discuss this'.

How do you think the conversation would have gone?

That's a good one Martin, we'd not heard it before. We'll all be singing it at Orange Divisions Christmas party, effing brilliant big mawn ye naw an that!

Or words (used loosely) to that effect.

I think there's definitely a point to be made about some of the songs Celtic fans sing being a disgrace as well. I just don't think Martin Bain is the man who should be making it.

He should have stuck to the song's wrong and the fans should stop singing it. It just all degenerates into playground finger pointing otherwise.

Archived