Living in London?

Heres Rixxy

Any kickbackers living or recently been living in London?

I move down and start a new job next month, so looking for any tips on the best areas to live. Been looking north of the river, for better tube connections, but apart from that I am not 100% on what dodgy areas to avoid!

Going to just be renting a room somewhere, going to be working just off Oxford St so hopefully with a direct tube line to Oxford Circus.

Cheers for any info!

I move down and start a new job next month, so looking for any tips on the best areas to live. Been looking north of the river, for better tube connections, but apart from that I am not 100% on what dodgy areas to avoid!

Going to just be renting a room somewhere, going to be working just off Oxford St so hopefully with a direct tube line to Oxford Circus.

Cheers for any info!

I lived in London for 4 years, moved back last year.

My first flat was in Shad Thames which is next to Tower Bridge. You had a choice of tubes with both London Bridge and Towerhill/Gateway being a short walk. Fair selection of bars etc, but it is close to Bermondsay! Good for London City airport.

The Jubilee line is only 5 stops from London Bridge to Bond Street station, which is on Oxford Street.

My second flat was in Westminster. Dead central. Close to Victoria Station for tubes and trains. Downside is a lot of the homeless folk sleep around Victoria Street. Horseferry Road was good for bars. Short walk to all the tourist attractions and 20 minute walk to the West End.

We liked to get the tube to Fulham Broadway or Parsons Green. When Chelsea are not playing they are great areas.

Dave De La Noir is still living in London and can probably tell you about some less desirable areas such as Brixton.;)

PS My work paid the rent on the flats, so I wasent to bothered about the price.

The flat at Tower Bridge was 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and was ?1,400 a month.

The Westminster flat was 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms at ?2,300 a month.

If you need to know anything else let me know. I have the names of hundreds of pubs I visited whilst down there. One sad basso at work wrote them down on my leaving card. :P

My first flat was in Shad Thames which is next to Tower Bridge. You had a choice of tubes with both London Bridge and Towerhill/Gateway being a short walk. Fair selection of bars etc, but it is close to Bermondsay! Good for London City airport.

The Jubilee line is only 5 stops from London Bridge to Bond Street station, which is on Oxford Street.

My second flat was in Westminster. Dead central. Close to Victoria Station for tubes and trains. Downside is a lot of the homeless folk sleep around Victoria Street. Horseferry Road was good for bars. Short walk to all the tourist attractions and 20 minute walk to the West End.

We liked to get the tube to Fulham Broadway or Parsons Green. When Chelsea are not playing they are great areas.

Dave De La Noir is still living in London and can probably tell you about some less desirable areas such as Brixton.;)

If you need to know anything else let me know. I have the names of hundreds of pubs I visited whilst down there. One sad basso at work wrote them down on my leaving card. :P

Rather expensive! :eek: Well I guess that's what you probably have to expect living in that area.

Cheers for any info!

When in the City, keep an eye out above yourself for falling executives!

Thanks for the info Deek. (not sure about the name though!)

Though prices are a bit out my league but I am just going to be getting a room as opposed to a flat anyhoo.

Thanks for the info Deek. (not sure about the name though!)

Though prices are a bit out my league but I am just going to be getting a room as opposed to a flat anyhoo.

Rather than North London try Fulham/Chelsea area. Not from the centre and nice place to live.

i live in mile end right between stepney green and mile end tube stations which means i'm on the central, district and hammersmith and city lines. i'm also less than a mile from limehouse dlr. from my door it probably takes a little less than half an hour to get to oxford circus. only two tube stops from upton park :)

some would say mile end/stepney were really rough but i can't say i've noticed that. i haven't had or seen any real bother in the time i've been here and while i know they're around i don't see gangs hanging around on street corners. if it would bother you to feel like you were in bangladesh i would advise you to avoid this area as its mostly bengali's and being white definately puts you in the minority.

west hampsteads quite nice, think its only served by the jubilee line.

can't really comment on other areas as i only really know them by reputation and not through first hand experience. avoid hackney unless you want to take the bus or cycle to work though

I have a friend in London, I believe he's trying to rent a room out right now, if you're interested I can find out more, PM me :)

Shepherd's Bush is probably a good option -- you're on the Central line*, it's only a few stops to Oxford Circus, it's pretty lively with a 'good' mix of Aussies etc. and plenty of pubs. An old burd had a decent two bedroom flat there with her sister, and I think she was paying about ?550 a month.

Plenty of bigger flat-shares as well which should be cheaper -- though the main street is a bit of a dump.

Brixton is gash :-D

West Kensington, Barons Court, Fulham, Putney and West Hampstead are all nice, but you're probably looking at another 100 notes a month.

Anything north of Maida Vale on the Bakerloo line I'm not a big fan of. And I don't really rate east or north 'north' london.

Clapham's alright in the south I guess -- lots of newbies to London move there so it's packed with graduate trainees who haven't quite left the student life behind. Plenty of young(ish) f&nny which is never a bad thing.

*Edit: just remembered, Central line from Chez Bou is fecked for the next few months.

I've been living in Borough/London Bridge area for the last couple of years.

Not too bad an area although there have been a few muggings round about - probably partly due to the fact there's student halls and therefore a lot of very naive people about. A young boy did also get stabbed earlier in the year close by, although that was school kids fighting amongst themselves.

Transport is pretty good - as already mentioned London Bridge is only a few stops from Bond Street.

If you're needing to get to Oxford Street you'll be best to avoid living somewhere that you would have to change at Bank underground station to get onto the Central Line as there's limited interchange due to escalator works until Summer 2009 (pain in the backside to be honest!).

Would avoid living in Elephant and Castle if I were you - certainly not the nicest place in the world!

If you want anymore info about anything let me know :)

I've been living in Borough/London Bridge area for the last couple of years.

Not too bad an area although there have been a few muggings round about - probably partly due to the fact there's student halls and therefore a lot of very naive people about. A young boy did also get stabbed earlier in the year close by, although that was school kids fighting amongst themselves.

Transport is pretty good - as already mentioned London Bridge is only a few stops from Bond Street.

If you're needing to get to Oxford Street you'll be best to avoid living somewhere that you would have to change at Bank underground station to get onto the Central Line as there's limited interchange due to escalator works until Summer 2009 (pain in the backside to be honest!).

Would avoid living in Elephant and Castle if I were you - certainly not the nicest place in the world!

If you want anymore info about anything let me know :)

London Bridge is alright, but I know more folk that have been mugged there than anywhere else in London -- and that ranges from a 26-yr old female mate who got the *****e beaten out of her, despite handing over her bag, to my 30-yr old, 6ft 3" German flatmate, who lost his work laptop... but claims one of the wee ******s left with sare baws after they decided they were going to beat him up despite giving them the bag. Mad place.

One of my mates is living in one of the Borough council estates with a couple of medical students. I'll freely admit to crapping myself leaving her third floor flat late at night. It's like a set from The Bill.

chester copperpot
London Bridge is alright, but I know more folk that have been mugged there than anywhere else in London -- and that ranges from a 26-yr old female mate who got the *****e beaten out of her, despite handing over her bag, to my 30-yr old, 6ft 3" German flatmate, who lost his work laptop... but claims one of the wee ******s left with sare baws after they decided they were going to beat him up despite giving them the bag. Mad place.

One of my mates is living in one of the Borough council estates with a couple of medical students. I'll freely admit to crapping myself leaving her third floor flat late at night. It's like a set from The Bill.

Should you not have reported him mate. Pretty poor IMO. :)

See you 2nd October mate. :)

I lived just over from Barons Court in my days in the smoke. Good place, and not too far away from the Famous 3 kings where you can watch the Hearts games in good company.

Happy days down there, enjoy it mate. It's fantastic for a few years of your life and the poontang is a better class than Edinburgh.

i live in mile end right between stepney green and mile end tube stations which means i'm on the central, district and hammersmith and city lines. i'm also less than a mile from limehouse dlr. from my door it probably takes a little less than half an hour to get to oxford circus. only two tube stops from upton park :)

some would say mile end/stepney were really rough but i can't say i've noticed that. i haven't had or seen any real bother in the time i've been here and while i know they're around i don't see gangs hanging around on street corners. if it would bother you to feel like you were in bangladesh i would advise you to avoid this area as its mostly bengali's and being white definately puts you in the minority.

west hampsteads quite nice, think its only served by the jubilee line.

can't really comment on other areas as i only really know them by reputation and not through first hand experience. avoid hackney unless you want to take the bus or cycle to work though

I used to think Leith Walk was bad but Mile End and Southall is like stepping into another world.

Never felt threatened or that when i've been there though.

The only muggings i really know of were just outside the halls I was in last year, but then I suppose most of the folks I know are students. Can't say I've ever had any bother at all myself, but then maybe I'm just lucky.

I'll admit that some of the people I know were in some scary places around Borough last year (certainly didn't go visiting on my own at night), but if you find somewhere near Borough High Street its not bad. Would say it gets worse as you go closer towards Elephant & Castle.

Suppose its not really the nicest place to live, but if you're on a budget its not bad and there are some fairly nice flats that aren't badly priced.

One piece of advice - if you do decide to live there I would strongly advise against walking through the park just behind all the student halls on Great Dover Street at night - commonly known among us as 'Butt-Rape Park'

In the early days my work placed some of my colleagues in flats just off the Elephant. I remember going back one night with a female friend and it was like trying to get into Fort Knox.:rolleyes:

But back to the Elephant, we loved the Noodle house just off the roundabout. Cheap cheerful and huge helpings. But we always went mob handed making sure we got the 188 bus back to Tower Bridge.

I used to change buses there in the morning heading for Vauxhall and I could be the only white face in the queue.

I have a thousand stories from my time in London. It was a great time in my life and I would recommend it to everybody.

Been in London over half my life now :( and moved around a fair bit before settling in suburbia.

I wouldn't want to start south of the river either, at least not South/South-East. South West was fine for me as I was playing rugby and had the pick of London Scots, Richmond, Harlequins. However, it's not all that convenient for town. Folk suggesting Elephant & Castle, London Bridge & points East are trying to get you killed.

Lived in the East End for a while when it was being developed. As a fellow poster said, it's not the prettiest part of town but I never felt threatened there and reasonably well catered for with restaurants, pubs & bars with the Central Line bringing you into town.

Lived up north as well - Enfield - God, but that was miserable and soulless. More in towards town, Highgate was reasonably good but the decent nightlife was priced up a bit high. Get down towards Archway and it was a bit better. Islington's poncified (IMHO!) and Finchley was, again, fairly soulless suburbia.

Also tried the North-West area. Kilburn/West Hampstead. Liked it there and it was easy in and out of town. Fairly good mix of cultures & therefore restaurants and things to do on nights out. Kilburn's the home of the Irish but they rent it from the West Indians.

Someone dropped Southall into the mix. Miles out of town and is almost completely Indian. To the point that I was there one day while my car was being serviced and was on the email to a colleague in Pune, India. She was telling me that I ought to go to India to soak up the culture. When I told her I was in Southall already, she agreed that I didn't need to! Even the Maccy D's has the Hindi script translations on the signs.

DDLN, though, has come up with a beezer for you in Shepherd's Bush (and areas around). The Tube station's supposed to reopen next month but there are others nearby and you can get the bus into Oxford Street from there. Off the main drag, there's decent bars & restaurants; you've also got one of the finest music venues in the Shepherd's Bush Empire, with the Hammersmith Apollo just a walk away and a weird venue that used to be the underground public toilets - Ginglik. The Bush is being 'regenerated' with a monster shopping & entertainment centre due to open sometime soon. And if having all that on your immediate doorstep ain't enough, you're in spitting distance of Earl's Court, Notting Hill, Bayswater, Kensington & West Ken and you could head westwards to Ealing (or as Marvin Gaye christened it, "Sexual Ealing".) I was based in the Bush for many years and still go by it daily on the bike. Crap traffic; crap shops on the main street (all charity shops) but a good place to live - you've also got hte QPR if you like a team with strange foreign ownership and opaque management styles. (It's less than 20 minutes in to Oxford St on the bike - I'd recommend it and save the tube fare).

Afraid that in all of this, I know nothing about the costs of renting rooms in any of the above places so might be pointing you somewhere you can't afford (although I understand that the Bush has plenty of rooms to let).

If you're not familiar with London's layout and the distances between places, don't trust the tube map to give you a sense of location. Use Google maps to see where places are in relation to each other.

Come back on if you look up these places and have no joy.

Cheers for any info!

lived there 11 yrs been back 2 yrs,you could stay in kent and travel in maybe,?? or surrey ie croydon,dodgy areas lol, peckham,brixton most of london is dodgy

In the early days my work placed some of my colleagues in flats just off the Elephant. I remember going back one night with a female friend and it was like trying to get into Fort Knox.:rolleyes:

But back to the Elephant, we loved the Noodle house just off the roundabout. Cheap cheerful and huge helpings. But we always went mob handed making sure we got the 188 bus back to Tower Bridge.

I used to change buses there in the morning heading for Vauxhall and I could be the only white face in the queue.

I have a thousand stories from my time in London. It was a great time in my life and I would recommend it to everybody.

I used to work for The Salvation Army who's head office was in Elephant & Castle, used to have to go down every so often for meetings etc and the highlight was the noodle place you mention. Great food, massive helpings and very cheap as well.

Just a shame the area is well off limits.

lived there 11 yrs been back 2 yrs,you could stay in kent and travel in maybe,?? or surrey ie croydon,dodgy areas lol, peckham,brixton most of london is dodgy

Every place you mention is south of the river.

No wonder you think london's dodgy if that's your point of reference!!

Hackney is where its at. most of my london friends live there so when i'm down. its the only place i really go. islington is well nice too if you can afford it.

Broadway market in hackney on a sunday for lunch is great, so are the birds living in hackney. clubs and bars are brilliant and not your far from brick lane and shoreditch too. its a much younger crowd living round these parts.

i plan to move to london next year and it will be hackney or islington for me.

The People's Chimp

God, elephant and castle; we were at a warehouse rave down there in february. Hilarious. We randomly got the phone number for instructions/directions from a barman in a pub somewhere near tottenham court road. he was like "don't go to fabric, go to this place. it'll be brilliant!" And it was. The place itself was nuts...but leaving and walking up past the big pink building to the tube at elephant and castle was an experience...and that was at 8am!

I'd say Ivan's and DDLN's advice is as good as any. I'd certainly recommend north of the river to start. Much better transport links into the city and personally I think it has more character. The Bush is not the most attractive area but I suspect that it and parts Acton are areas which are about to become more attractive as Ealing and Chiswick become less affordable.

If you don't mind a longer tube journey places like Harrow, Stanmore etc are good.

Islington is central and a good place to live but a bit pricey now its gone upmarket.

Avoid Harlesden, Willesden area.

scott herbertson

Lived in Walthamstow / Leyton (well dodgy, but fun) , Waltham Abbey , Bromley - ok but transport not great, and Kingston/ surbiton (great but expensive and transport to town takes forever)

London has something for everyone and where you live if you have a free choice should relate to the things you like to do - music food etc

One thing which can bugger it up is transport though. Well worth checking how long it would take you to get from where you are thinking of staying to your work. this is a great site which you can bookmark and use to check that:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

best of luck and when you have a better idea, check it out withthe London Hearts boys who will set you right

I'd say Ivan's and DDLN's advice is as good as any. I'd certainly recommend north of the river to start. Much better transport links into the city and personally I think it has more character. The Bush is not the most attractive area but I suspect that it and parts Acton are areas which are about to become more attractive as Ealing and Chiswick become less affordable.

If you don't mind a longer tube journey places like Harrow, Stanmore etc are good.

Islington is central and a good place to live but a bit pricey now its gone upmarket.

Avoid Harlesden, Willesden area.

Second that.

I found myself in A&E at the hospital which serves this place. I don't often go to A&E but this place opened my eyes. My knee through a plate glass window had to take a back seat to the stab and gunshot victims coming out of Harlesden. Two of the patients were arrested for violent conduct against hospital staff that would make even Joey Barton (and John Terry) feel soft.

It all depends on your budget, really. A friend of mine used to flatshare in Mortimer Street, right by Oxford Circus - but she was very lucky. Renting in the centre is generally frighteningly expensive.

This probably rules out the most salubrious areas such as Kensington or Notting Hill; but beyond that, and having grown up and lived most of my life in Pinner, North West London, I'd suggest the following:

Avoid like the plague

Harlesden/Stonebridge Park/Willesden/Wembley (all NW London - Harlesden is very possibly the most terrifying place in the Western world. My nightbus travelled through there, so I know what I'm talking about! :eek: And Wembley, sadly, has a major gang problem nowadays).

Peckham/Lewisham/New Cross/Elephant and Castle/Camberwell (all SE London. Elephant and Castle has the most ridiculous looking shopping centre in the universe, and a main bus stop always frequented by deeply unsavoury characters).

Mile End (E London, and a **** stain on the world's underpants)

Ladbroke Grove (W London)

Hackney, Stoke Newington (NE London)

Consider

Dulwich, Herne Hill (both SE London)

Parts of Fulham or Putney (SW London)

Clapham (SE London, but has really come up in the world over the last few years)

Highly recommended

Islington (NE London)

Bayswater, Shepherd's Bush, Ealing (W London)

Tower Bridge

Russell Square

Though the last two may be out of your price range. Hope it goes well for you: I've grown pretty sick of London myself, but it's a very exciting place if you're new to it. Fantastic restaurants and bars, and very beautiful in places - but I'd add the rider that it's the kind of place which is fine if you have money, but can become pretty bloody depressing if you don't!

I've grown pretty sick of London myself, but it's a very exciting place if you're new to it. Fantastic restaurants and bars, and very beautiful in places - but I'd add the rider that it's the kind of place which is fine if you have money, but can become pretty bloody depressing if you don't!

I'd echo this.

When I first came hit London, I was overwhelmed by the size of the place, the new job and the feeling of being so far away from home. As I got into work, I never really enjoyed London itself, but had great times with new friends and colleagues plus a lot of sporting activity (rugby, tennis, football & golf).

I could've done the sports in any city & probably more easily (an away game a Brentwood, for instance, was a day's excursion; the travelling being more than going from Edinburgh to, say, Glasgow). However, I need the social contact and the exercise so it worked for me.

I got engrossed in work and spent many a long hour in offices and over my PC, doing reasonably well with my career.

In all that time, though, I never really got to know London. It's only in recent years, having changed lanes in the career and having kids who love seeing new things & learning, that I've come to appreciate just how wonderful most parts of London can be. There's fantastic architecture, great museums all over the place, historical places to be (from the Great Fire all the way through to things like the 100 Club on Oxford Street, the fulcrum of punk music).

With Edinburgh, the history is more in-your-face (or to be hidden in the shrubbery at Atholl Place, if the cooncil get their way!!) With London, you have to look harder. But it's worthwhile.

boabyarsebiscuit

Don't know why everyone's so down on South London. For every Elephant there's a Harlesden north of the River.

I live in Streatham, which I was warned had a gang/gun problem when I bought here 6 years ago. It's had its problems since but the bit I live in is fairly quiet, and at the risk of tempting fate I've not yet been mugged. However the area generally can be a bit frightening for outsiders (teenage boys and even girls, walking around with Pit Bulls, large Somalian community whose tradition is to meet and talk on the street, so you see groups of 20 / 30 hanging around in Gleneagle Road). And only yesterday I went past the White Lion on Streatham High Road which used to be a good pub with Dutch Satellite for live EPL games on Saturday afternoons but subsequently changed to a themed "Hip Hop" bar. Sign on the door: "No hats. No hoods. No search - no entry".

Tottenham Court Road tube is well served by the Northern Line which opens up Clapham to you transport wise. And Balham / Tooting. Clapham's a good area (although burglaries are on the up - Brixton is nearby). Although I disagree with Shaun Lawson - I'd classify it as South West London, not South East.

My one main piece of advice is don't rent the first place you see. Try and look at a few areas with decent transport links to your workplace and compare them. And even if an area has a good "name" many of them closer to town have large council estates lurking round the corner, so picking a "name" is not necessarily a guarantee of landing up in a safe environment. *** EDIT: prime example, "Camden".

Anyway - enough idle chit chat, I'm off job hunting.

Clapham's a good area (although burglaries are on the up - Brixton is nearby). Although I disagree with Shaun Lawson - I'd classify it as South West London, not South East.

Yes, you are indeed correct! I always get confused by Clapham for some reason.

All the best with the jobsearch: it must be tough what you're going through at the moment.

Avoid like the plague

Mile End (E London, and a **** stain on the world's underpants)

Ladbroke Grove (W London)

Hackney, Stoke Newington (NE London)

QUOTE]

do you have first hand experience of this? i've lived there a year now and don't find it like that at all

Brixton is gash :-D

West Kensington, Barons Court, Fulham, Putney and West Hampstead are all nice, but you're probably looking at another 100 notes a month.

Welcome to London, where you will either be mugged or not appreciated. lol.

London has changed so much. Nobody cares about it anymore. Londoners are moving out in droves. Theres so many foreigners its crazy (please note, i stayed mostly in Earls Court). Its funny, when ive been out an about in pubs, clubs etc, you find that when you get talking to English/Londoners, they are so warm to you. They dont see you as being, you know Scottish. They genuinely appreciate a 'Brit'. I never encountered any jibes at being Scottish the whole 6 years i lived there, only good humoured banter.

I was down 3 weeks ago to meet up with a couple of mates and we headed to Soho in the afternoon for a bite and a beer, sitting outside enjoying a pint watching two crackheads (Scottish) beating each other up then watching one of them scour the pavement for his rock. So many homeless people ive seen in the Soho area have been Scottish! Mad.

It just seems a big rat race down there to earn money. If you have a good job and pay, you can have a great time. But if your just 9-5 in a naff job with low pay it can be a really lonely place.

The above places are defo the best places to stay. West London is the place to be. West Kensington is good enough, 5 mins to earls court, fulham etc. Also the Famous 3 Kings for the football and London hearts meetings for hearts games (if they still show hearts games). 4-0 semi against Hibs, happy days!

I dont care what people say about Brixton, i woudnt stay there!

Same with Camden. The market is amazing and colourful as are some of the gritty pubs and people but there are some weird/dodgy people around. Back in the day though camden was the place to be.

Also, you cant beat the ole cockney accent. Quality! Go to the East London and go into some random pub with simply a bar, table and chairs, pool table and a dart board and some good old muckers and you will have a blast.

Dont know where i'm going with this post but there you are.. The above are the places defo to stay:)

boabyarsebiscuit

One other word of advice. Never ever rent a ground floor flat. Go for something more secure (higher than ground floor in a building with an entryphone system for example).

Same with Camden. The market is amazing and colourful as are some of the gritty pubs and people but there are some weird/dodgy people around. Back in the day though camden was the place to be.

...with the colours being mainly black, grey and charcoal nowadays after a brief moment when they were vibrant yellows, oranges and reds :)

10_camden_wideweb__470x308,0.jpg

...with the colours being mainly black, grey and charcoal nowadays after a brief moment when they were vibrant yellows, oranges and reds :)

I would suggest ,

South Kensington,around Gloucester road Tube station ....near The Denmark pub

Russell Square...Lambs Conduit street near the Lamb pub and Great ormond Street.

The People's Chimp

I heard quite an interesting story about how the fire started and who stood to gain, lots of people with nice property interests and the council mysteriously refusing every planning application to simply rebuild the hawley arms.

One other word of advice. Never ever rent a ground floor flat. Go for something more secure (higher than ground floor in a building with an entryphone system for example).

It said on the Scottish news last year that ground floor flats were statistically the least likely to be burgled and top floors were the most likely. Not sure if that's just in Scotland or not but it surprised me any way.

Your post about living in London is very interesting. Always thought about living down there for a year. Maybe once I graduate.

boabyarsebiscuit
I would suggest ,

South Kensington,around Gloucester road Tube station ....near The Denmark pub

Russell Square...Lambs Conduit street near the Lamb pub and Great ormond Street.

Some of the areas you mention will be quite expensive to live in. Unless you're looking at a bedsit / hostel. Earls Court / Gloucester Road sees many asylum seekers housed in guest houses / "hotels" for example, but renting a proper flat there will be a bit pricey unless you're looking further out in the direction of West Ken. South Ken itself is expensive being on the edge of Knightsbridge and Chelsea. And Russell Square again is guest houses mainly, with some big council estates not too far away. And Euston / Kings Cross, just up the road, aren't that great at night.

It said on the Scottish news last year that ground floor flats were statistically the least likely to be burgled and top floors were the most likely. Not sure if that's just in Scotland or not but it surprised me any way.

Your post about living in London is very interesting. Always thought about living down there for a year. Maybe once I graduate.

It's not just burglaries you need to worry about with ground floor flats down here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7546301.stm

I suppose the key with staying down here is to get the best possible place for your budget. If you move further out from the centre you have to factor in travel costs (100 quid a month for a Zones 1-3 Oyster for example), but in the case of the OP and his requirement for ease of access to Oxford Street he has options on the Northern Line (opening up South London) the Central Line (points West and East, e.g. Shepherds Bush, Leytonstone, Mile End) and if he doesn't mind living in a craphole rooms even closer to hos work.

OK, thanks again to all the info and hints folks. Very much appreciated.

These are pretty much the areas on my radar now:

Shepherd's Bush

Kensington

Fulham

Putney

West Hampstead

Barons Court

Bayswater

Ealing

Clapham

Mayfair :P

Also been looking at Acton - anyone stayed there? Heard its not the nicest on the eye (factorys) but pretty decent prices and availability. Seems to be quite a lot of antipodeans around the area too.

Travel is second to wanting a good place though, plus my tube travel will be subsidised by my work so not too fussed about being maybe zone 4 or 5.

Hoping to find somewhere covered by a night bus actually - are they recommended or to be avoided??

OK, thanks again to all the info and hints folks. Very much appreciated.

These are pretty much the areas on my radar now:

Shepherd's Bush

Kensington

Fulham

Putney

West Hampstead

Barons Court

Bayswater

Ealing

Clapham

Mayfair :P

Also been looking at Acton - anyone stayed there? Heard its not the nicest on the eye (factorys) but pretty decent prices and availability. Seems to be quite a lot of antipodeans around the area too.

Travel is second to wanting a good place though, plus my tube travel will be subsidised by my work so not too fussed about being maybe zone 4 or 5.

Hoping to find somewhere covered by a night bus actually - are they recommended or to be avoided??

I stayed in and around Acton for a couple of years and didnt have a problem but there are some nicer areas near by its a bit like Shepards Bush. I would recomended Northfields or Boston Manor which are have good bus and tube routes. In my opinion i would stick to West or North London for a hassle free stay.

I go through Acton every day on my route to work. It's the bit between Shepherd's Bush and Ealing and, like most places, has some bits you'd rather avoid and others you'd not mind. By the tubes:

East Acton should be re-named Wormwood Scrubs, it's right beside the prison and the residential area around is pretty ropey, from the streets round the station/jail (which look like a poor man's Saughton Mains) down to the White City estate (which is worse).

North Acton is quite a remote area (for London) and the tube is in a light industry area. The other side of the A40 (south) from there is residential suburibia type but not blessed with a centre for night-life.

West Acton is in a more leafy area, favoured by the Japanese. Reasonably quiet but you're a driver and 5-iron away from the delights of Ealing Broadway or Acton Town

Acton Town definitely the most buzzing and accessible of the four. To one side, you've got more light industry (Bollo Bridge Road) and on the other, you get towards the main road with restaurants and pubs (of mixed quality). Again, it's easy to get into Sexual Ealing and you're not far from Chiswick (which is much more pleasing on the eye and palate). And, being near the Uxbridge Road, is almost definitely on the Night Bus route, though I've never used it. Acton Town tube itself is handy with the dark blue and green lines going into town and the dark blue one going to 'eefrow. you've also got the 607 and 207 buses that'll whisk you in to Shepherd's Bush, taking out as many cyclist as they can along the way.

Central Acton, itself, is relatively heavily populated by Somalians.

Cheers for the info Ivan, without such hints could end up in a right 'hole!

How is Ealing in general, around the Ealing Broadway area?

Also heard good things about Ruislip, but seems to be less places available there (maybe a good sign?)

Ivan's description of Acton is fairly accurate. I suspect it is starting to improve as nearby areas like Ealing and Chiswick are becoming too expensive.

Ealing is definately a good shout. Some nice areas, reasonable nightlife and plenty local shopping etc on Ealing Broadway. Ealing Broadway is basically equivalent to a small town centre. Fairly large indoor shopping complex with the main stores and plenty bars and restaurants. I've had a few nights out in Ealing and have never seen any bother.

Ealing also has good links to the West End and City and to Heathrow.

Ruislip is also OK but you are right on the outskirts of London, so probably another 20 mins on the tube compared to Ealing. Not as buzzing as Ealing but probably less expensive.

Cheers. Ealing sounds not too bad then and seems to be plenty of availability.

Can't believe how many Jambos live in/have lived in/know London :D

scots civil war

entirely depends on your profile m8,id stay east central,north central.....cheaper,vibey,good transportlinks etc.....it used to take me 20 mins flat out on me bike to oxford st from bethnal green.i lived on hackney road,right where the bus got bombed

bohemian/grebo/underground/vibey/tight budget sort of punter ??????

dalston

hackney

hoxton

camden town

kentish town

north and south islington

brixton

bow

bethnal green

stoke newington

stamford hill

shoreditch

bit wong/wine bar/middle class aspirational ?????

anywhere west london

docklands

hampstead

finchley

queens park

bermondsey

putney

london is also a very stressfull place to live,make sure you have a big park nearby or at least access to get out to the country quickly when everything gets on top........

get an a-z of the place also,rather than looking at the tube map.the map gives a distorted location of places........

Archived