TV Problems - Technical Advice Needed!

Louise

Just been having a major problem with my tv, more specifically watching DVDs and videos through it.

Basically I was watching a film earlier and when it finished I put in a new DVD, but there was just a black screen and no picture- but the sound was coming through fine.

Firstly I thought it was the DVD so I tried a different one, and the same problem occured. So I've checkd the connections, tried using different scart extension sockets and even tried using the VCR and even videos have the same problem. Now what is even weirder is that when you press the EXT button to skip between the different channels it will flash up with the picture for a few seconds before the next channel loads. So surely that means the video IS coming through, but the TV just isn't showing it on the respective channel.

I REALLY need some urgent advice on this as I have no TV connection at the moment as have just moved into a new flat, and the TV isn't under guarantee or anything either.

Thanks in advance!

Did you by any chance change the AV channel by accident?

Look for a button on your TV that says AV or Source or something similar. You might just need to tell your TV which connection to show.

It could be the tubing. My telly's tubing is ****e and a good whack on the right hand side of the box usually does the trick.

Seriously.

What the feck is "tubing"

Do you mean the tube?

what kind of TV is it?

you mentioned its SCART connections, have you used different cables? how many connections does the TV have?

if you don't get much help on here try http://www.avforums.com. loads of folk there who have vast knowledge of this kinda thing, tho it may take a bit longer.

What the feck is "tubing"

Do you mean the tube?

**** knows; it isn't my telly per se, and that's what my flatmate calls it so I've stuck with it.

I'm not Mr Toshiba, ffs.

It sounds like there is a clash on your AV channels, do you have anything other than your DVD and Video plugged in to the back of the tele. If so switch it off. Then try to select the AV channel that your DVD is playing on.

Father Tiresias
Just been having a major problem with my tv, more specifically watching DVDs and videos through it.

Basically I was watching a film earlier and when it finished I put in a new DVD, but there was just a black screen and no picture- but the sound was coming through fine.

Firstly I thought it was the DVD so I tried a different one, and the same problem occured. So I've checkd the connections, tried using different scart extension sockets and even tried using the VCR and even videos have the same problem. Now what is even weirder is that when you press the EXT button to skip between the different channels it will flash up with the picture for a few seconds before the next channel loads. So surely that means the video IS coming through, but the TV just isn't showing it on the respective channel.

I REALLY need some urgent advice on this as I have no TV connection at the moment as have just moved into a new flat, and the TV isn't under guarantee or anything either.

Thanks in advance!

What make of TV is it?

It's a Sharp. I've been through every channel etc and there's nothing. The thing that doesn't make any sense is I didn't change anything about it, I didn't even switch the thing off, it just randomly started playing up. TBH best advice so far would have to be neave's about giving it a wallop, used to have to do that with old TV at home but flatmates are asleep and don't think they'd appreciate being woken up by me boxing with a telly.

Both my flatmates are in bed, I've not got an aerial in my room and now can't even watch movies. *looks out a good book* Good grief.

Archived