9 Points..A different take

Tom Heaney

Like others on here I was disapointed in yesterdays result and performance but I wonder what the mood would have been if the following scenario had happend in our 3 away games. Three draws, ie. Unbeaten start to the league campaign. Same points as now, but I just wonder how we would looked upon it. If I'm honest I know that I would have looked upon the start in a far more positive way than I am this morning. No right to have been more positive but I guess thats just the physce of fitba fans.

Motherwell was probably a deserved win but could have gone either way , St Midden, deserved win but again tried to thow away 2 points at the death, The Huns, probably deserved to lose but if it weren't for a strange ref decision yet again we may have sneaked a point, Hamilton, deserved win but again it got close towards the end, Falkirk, undeserved loss where a draw would have been fair.

So there you have it, in my humble opinion;) We are probably right where we deserve to be right now. God how I hope it improves soon

I don't think we have dominated or clearly 'deserved' to win any of the games so far this season. With the exception of the Rangers game, all of the others were narrow scraped wins or losses one way or the other. Could easily have been 0 points or 12 points at this stage.

I don't think we have dominated or clearly 'deserved' to win any of the games so far this season. With the exception of the Rangers game, all of the others were narrow scraped wins or losses one way or the other. Could easily have been 0 points or 12 points at this stage.

Agreed.

The OP's scenario would involve a good draw away at Ibrox. The thing about playing the bigger sides in the league is that I care little about performance against those and would take a horrific performance with a lucky point/win. I write off all games at Ibrox and Parkhead from the outset, ANY point is a bonus. I don't think the same about Falkirk, St Mirren, Hamilton Academicals and Motherwell. If I did, I would be accepting that we are a bottom six club.

I would feel better with exactly the same points IF, as Coco has correctly pointed out, we had DESERVEDLY won the games we won, if we had maybe, just maybe kept at least one clean sheet and won some of the games by a few goals as opposed to late winners.

I am extremely worried we were papering over the cracks with late winners. My big hope is that Laszlo, as opposed to his five minutes statement, is taking time to learn who is good enough and where they can play for us, and that we will see a settled team/formation in a month or so.

Late winners could be papering over some cracks BH but they are also a sign of increased desire and determination to win games that was sorely lacking last season - the attitude in the team has been much much better and with that we will do a lot better than last season - yes we still have some flaws but that is true of most teams in this league and not all problems can be solved in one transfer window especially when there isn't a huge amount of money available and the club is looking to reduce team costs not increase them.

Late winners could be papering over some cracks BH but they are also a sign of increased desire and determination to win games that was sorely lacking last season - the attitude in the team has been much much better and with that we will do a lot better than last season - yes we still have some flaws but that is true of most teams in this league and not all problems can be solved in one transfer window especially when there isn't a huge amount of money available and the club is looking to reduce team costs not increase them.

I agree with that. We would have lost most of the games in similar situations last year.

Unfortunately I expect that at some point this season we will go back to last season's lack of professionalism all round. But that hasn't happened yet. Would be a positive sign if Kingston were dropped for his lack of workrate and professionalism.

until we play players in there natural positions and start playing 2 up front we're going to be inconsistent in my opinion

I agree with you! Blimey...

I agree with that. We would have lost most of the games in similar situations last year.

Unfortunately I expect that at some point this season we will go back to last season's lack of professionalism all round. But that hasn't happened yet. Would be a positive sign if Kingston were dropped for his lack of workrate and professionalism.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

MacDonald Jardine

You're right but late losing goals don't work the same way.

It is a sign of a team playing to the final whistle, how many times does the bigot brothers score a last minute winner?

It is a sign of a team playing to the final whistle, how many times does the bigot brothers score a last minute winner?

There is a point about this that many miss.

Yes, the Glasgow two do this, they win games that they look like losing/drawing. The key bit is the days when they are NOT doing this, they are largely winning well. This season, we are scraping wins or losing.

HUGE difference.

I posted yesterday, if we beat Inverness we'll have made the exact same start (just a win and a loss swapped around) as we did in 03/04, when we finished 3rd with 68 points, 15 clear of the rest.

The start of that season involved 4 home games, two away. We won 3 home games, and got pumped 4-0 off Rangers, and we beat Kilmarnock away but lost at Hibs.

If indeed we're aiming for 3rd, I can't see what the massive concern is.

Archived