Sightill Flats. Kaboom.

hughesie27

Only a week away from the first phase of making Sighthill a wee bit more attractive. I can see the ones that are getting blown up from my window and it is going to be some sight seeing the structures that have been pretty iconic during my whole life come down. It will also be very entertaining!

As they are soo close to other people homes, including flats that are quite literally 10 meters away, people all around them are having to be evacuated from their homes for a lot of the day. I'm expecting a pretty significant number of people watching them in the surrounding streets, 1000 at least I wreckon.

Anybody going?

EDIT: Sighthill not Sightill.

Only a week away from the first phase of making Sighthill a wee bit more attractive. I can see the ones that are getting blown up from my window and it is going to be some sight seeing the structures that have been pretty iconic during my whole life come down. It will also be very entertaining!

As they are soo close to other people homes, including flats that are quite literally 10 meters away, people all around them are having to be evacuated from their homes for a lot of the day. I'm expecting a pretty significant number of people watching them in the surrounding streets, 1000 at least I wreckon.

Anybody going?

EDIT: Sighthill not Sightill.

Any idea when it's happening (times and stuff)?

Aye me and my mates have talked about going through to see it and we live out in West Lothian!

I had cousins that stayed in them years ago. Horrible flats - glad they are coming down. Will be strange without them though. Any idea what they plan to build in place?

What's the date?!

Drive past them everyday and been wondering when they are actually going to be finished off.. They've been working on the pre demolition stuff for a while now...

2503443152_26a51fb37a.jpg?v=0

What they looked like before they were all covered up. Today you will see them wrapped in lots of black 'bags'

What they looked like before they were all covered up. Today you will see them wrapped in lots of black 'bags'

As there all wrapped around the weakest points,im guessing these balck bags are keeping the expolsives dry.

anyone know when they're going to do the same with the old napier uni building next to stevensons college?

Napier is not being demolished, it is purely a refurbishment, due to re-open for the start of the 2010 term

Broomview House is one the the ugliest scars on Edinburgh's landscape and it will be a great day for the west side of the city when this prison comes down.

Yeats ago, I was inside one of them and it was actually quite nice and spacious. Looking after Jo-jo chic.

Buffalo Bill

Next Sunday? I was hoping to see it aswell but I'm in the Weege next weekend.

Like many of you, it's kind of iconic to my childhood. Always remember going to the Pitz as a kid with the tower blocks in the background. As BB pointed out, very "Looking After Jo Jo".

Will be great when they come down. An eyesore on the west city landscape.

Guest juvehearts
Napier is not being demolished, it is purely a refurbishment, due to re-open for the start of the 2010 term

mmm dont know likes.

its comming down, got controled demolition outside the buiilding & that.

god sake man have you seen the building? :eek:

Ill be going along to see broomview come down as well.

As ugly as it is, its a sight ive seen almost every day of my life.

What a view you got when you went up to the top floor for a look across our great city as well.

Pity it wasnt Saturday we could have a kickback viewing gallery....

Maybe thats why it isnt Saturday because of the big 'crowd'..

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I've been keeping an eye on this every day as I dive past it on my way to work

It's s pretty technical job for a blow down given the proximity to other occupied building. Thursday ever opening was getting blocked with chain link fencing to prevent debris going everywhere

I'm well up for going to see this coming down

Anyone know how big the exclusion zone will be?

Will we be able to watch from the football pitches?

I would imagine so, mate. There's a sign just as you turn off the roundabout at Murrayburn School saying that the exit will be closed off next Sunday all day, so I reckon that'll be the average length/breadth of the exclusion zone.

Broomview House is one the the ugliest scars on Edinburgh's landscape and it will be a great day for the west side of the city when this prison comes down.

Yeats ago, I was inside one of them and it was actually quite nice and spacious. Looking after Jo-jo chic.

Buffalo Bill

Big flats as you say but minging to look at.

From the council website:

Where can I view the blowdown from?

Unfortunately, unlike previous blowdowns in Oxgangs, the Broomview site does not offer any safe locations to view the blowdown from. For your own health and safety, members of the public are advised not to approach the exclusion zone to witness the event. Footage of the blowdown will be made available through the Council website.

Ill be going along to see broomview come down as well.

As ugly as it is, its a sight ive seen almost every day of my life.

What a view you got when you went up to the top floor for a look across our great city as well.

Best view in Edinburgh IMO.

It'll be very weird when it's not there.

Had some adventures up at the flats as a young 'un.

I've been trying to figure out where to watch this from. I went to the two at Oxgangs and it was fab.

But I suspect the council is correct with this one. I don't think you'd see much from the football pitches - the other high rises are in the way.

The Crofters beer garden?

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Best view in Edinburgh IMO.

It'll be very weird when it's not there.

Had some adventures up at the flats as a young 'un.

Correct , it will be very strange it not being there any longer. Been walking past that eyesore for years yet I think I'll strangely miss it (eventually them) when they're gone.

Walking past them on my way to school everyday will not be the same. I hope they build a stadium in it's place.

Fully expecting the council to put up some Craigmillar style flats in its place which look 'trendy' now but will be outdated in record time, and are thrown together so shoddily that they will be in the same state in a few years time.

Call me a cynic...

Fully expecting the council to put up some Craigmillar style flats in its place which look 'trendy' now but will be outdated in record time, and are thrown together so shoddily that they will be in the same state in a few years time.

Call me a cynic...

Or like similar areas they will build new housing but like similar areas they put the same **** that lived in them before and the area will just have the same problems and the house's will be wrecked in no time :rolleyes:

Call me a cynic...

Absolutely correct.

Just like Clovenstone.

Gracemount flats are next. They are all pretty much emptied now. I heard that they were initialy built for well off people. They arent that bad inside, huge hall and big bedrooms and living room.

Call me a cynic...

Cynic :P

Archived