Golf advice/tips required

Buffalo Bill

I'm just back from my holiday, where I stayed at the Hacienda del Alamo Golf Resort, Murcia, Spain. Check the link:

http://www.clubdegolfhda.com/eng/index.html

It's a great place and it was hot hot hot but the thing that struck me was finding (at the 'tender' age of 35) a desire to play golf.

I did manage to get in a friendly game with my host (and cousin) on the Academy course which is a lovely little six hole practice course next to the big bad boy course (where they hope to one day host the Spanish Open).

All my demon pitch and putt practice at Port Royal came into play around the greens but it took me two or three hits to get the ball up towards there.

What advice do you golfers have for me when teeing off?

What advice can you give me for golf in general?

What 'checks' go through your mind as you're about to hit?

What about grip/swing etc?

I doubt I'll have the time to really go at it but getting my first par four felt pretty good to be fair.

Buffalo Bill

I'm just back from my holiday, where I stayed at the Hacienda del Alamo Golf Resort, Murcia, Spain. Check the link:

It's a great place and it was hot hot hot but the thing that struck me was finding (at the 'tender' age of 35) a desire to play golf.

I did manage to get in a friendly game with my host (and cousin) on the Academy course which is a lovely little six hole practice course next to the big bad boy course (where they hope to one day host the Spanish Open).

All my demon pitch and putt practice at Port Royal came into play around the greens but it took me two or three hits to get the ball up towards there.

I doubt I'll have the time to really go at it but getting my first par four felt pretty good to be fair.

Buffalo Bill

dont go on boxing day,i did once and it started snowing so my one and only time put me off for life,my old mod parka weighed a ton

Get a few lessons mate - the guys at the Braids driving range are pretty good.

Think its about ?20 for a half hour.

Hit the ball in the hole.

If, for some reason, you don't do the above with your first shot - remember to hit the small white sphere and not the large green oblate spheroid.

ps (you might not believe this) not a golfer :D

letsalllaughathobos

about a year ago i was playing of 7 and sickend myself trying to hard.

i yoused to play 3/6 times a week but havent played for about 7/8 months just ****ed myself off.

so try to relax and enjoy yourself.

I was always told "let the club do the work".

Golf frustrated me so much, havent played in years.

Also your toes should line up with the direction you intend on hitting the ball.

Obviously basic stuff from someone who cant play, but I had a fair few essons when I was younger, and this is whats stuck.

Just had my first lesson ever on Tuesday night up at the Braids. Pretty expensive (?25h/r or ?80 for 4 1/2hr lessons) but i reckon its a good idea if you're serious about it.

I often went to the range with mates or had a hit but was awful. On Tues i was kindly informed this is because almost everything i did was wrong! Went to the range for 1st time tonight to work on the new swing and its already helping.

Going to be a long long slow road though me thinks...

Oopsupsideyerheed

My club pro told me to cut a couple of inches from the top of my clubs,,,,asking if it would help my swing he replied no, but they will fit in the bin easier !!!!!!!!!!!!...............hated him :)

chester copperpot

Buy some decent clubs, there's plenty out there, but dont go for the cheapest, go for the one's that suit you.

There's a small percentage that can just be excellent at golf, however I would advise BB to go out with a decent golfer and ask for some tips from them.

I'd also advise playing easier golf courses for a while till you get up to speed.

Took the game up when I was 9, got to a 7 handicap when I was 15, now 34, up to 18 handicap which frustrates the life out of me, but if you dont play, your handicap goes up.

I really need lessons but cant really be bothered with paying the money for them. More practice I suppose would help and trying to figure out what things im doing differently when I hit and good/bad shot.

Golf is a good laugh. It does make you mad at times but when you hit a good shot or hole a long putt its great. And when you lose another ball into the trees all you can do is laugh. After you have smacked the club into the ground a few times!

Buy some decent clubs, there's plenty out there, but dont go for the cheapest, go for the one's that suit you.

There's a small percentage that can just be excellent at golf, however I would advise BB to go out with a decent golfer and ask for some tips from them.

I'd also advise playing easier golf courses for a while till you get up to speed.

Took the game up when I was 9, got to a 7 handicap when I was 15, now 34, up to 18 handicap which frustrates the life out of me, but if you dont play, your handicap goes up.

I used to go to Vogrie when I was wee.

Also, Melville is a fairly short easy course, (I think)

jack D and coke

Get some lessons early doors. It'll stop any things your doing wrong becoming ingrained in your swing. It'll will probably feel awkward at first but you need to get the good habits going first then it's just practise after that.

The good thing about it is once you get a few rounds under your belt you'll get an idea of what you should be playing off and you can have a game with anyone.

About 20-25 of us go a golf holiday every year. Barry excuse to get away with the lads. Was over in the Costa Del Sol last year (didn't play that one but there's dozens down there) and heading to North Carolina next year. Canny wait.

youre really handicapped

I'm the same BB - much to the disgust and amusement (alleged lack of coordination) of my family, I've started golf this autumn.

A colleague from work has been taking me to the driving range at Brucefield nerar Stirling. We plan to win the the works staff mixed pairs competition next summer. She has a bet with golf playing male colleagues that she'll have me competitive by next spring!!

I don't know where you are, but I enrolled in a course at Falkirk College. ?39 for 10 weeks. I basically hit a small plastic golf ball into a net under the eye of a golf tutor. But it has made a huge difference on the driving range already, and it's only been 1 week. Might be an idea to see if your local college offers anything.

Buffalo Bill

Play a few times, and get a feel for the game. If you really want to spend some money on it book a few lessons. They will help you heaps. Any good Golf Pro will also be able to give you tips on what clubs to buy if you want to take it further, so don't jump in with new clubs just yet (unless you don't have access to any of course).

As a few people have already said, it's a frustrating sport but you usually hit one good shot a round and that's the one you walk away remembering. So don't stress yourself out, just enjoy it.

Good luck

Play a few times, and get a feel for the game. If you really want to spend some money on it book a few lessons. They will help you heaps. Any good Golf Pro will also be able to give you tips on what clubs to buy if you want to take it further, so don't jump in with new clubs just yet (unless you don't have access to any of course).

As a few people have already said, it's a frustrating sport but you usually hit one good shot a round and that's the one you walk away remembering. So don't stress yourself out, just enjoy it.

Good luck

Approah these guys with caution. The legend goes that, in order to decide which the best clubs are for you, they look into the car park to see what you've driven up in. The fancier the car, the higher the price of the clubs that are "ideally suited to you"

Borrow someone's hand-me-downs until you're really sure that you've got the bug.

As others say, take lessons so that you don't spend the first few months learning bad habits which could take years to remove (if ever!). A good teaching pro shouldn't take more than 10 lessons to get you in a really good groove from absolute scratch. If you're already showing promise as a "natural" it should be less before you're able to tackle the course.

Enjoy the game for the company and the promise that you can improve - don't get stressed that you're not hitting 280yd drives down the centre of the fairway - yet.

Remember that there's plenty of old duffers well into their 60s and 70s who not only enjoy the game but they also score well with low handicaps. Why? because they don't go for broke on the drives and concentrate just as much on the chips and putts.

Not much to it.

Enjoy.

(18 h'cap - can't get better due to work and family committments :o()

BB,

You are in the great position of being an adult and having a blank canvas to work with in regards to golf.

Hopefully if you get yourself some lessons you will not pick up too many bad habits!

Dont buy any stuff until you have had lessons and know you want keep playing otherwise it could prove a costly mistake!

Approah these guys with caution. The legend goes that, in order to decide which the best clubs are for you, they look into the car park to see what you've driven up in. The fancier the car, the higher the price of the clubs that are "ideally suited to you"

Borrow someone's hand-me-downs until you're really sure that you've got the bug.

As others say, take lessons so that you don't spend the first few months learning bad habits which could take years to remove (if ever!). A good teaching pro shouldn't take more than 10 lessons to get you in a really good groove from absolute scratch. If you're already showing promise as a "natural" it should be less before you're able to tackle the course.

Enjoy the game for the company and the promise that you can improve - don't get stressed that you're not hitting 280yd drives down the centre of the fairway - yet.

Remember that there's plenty of old duffers well into their 60s and 70s who not only enjoy the game but they also score well with low handicaps. Why? because they don't go for broke on the drives and concentrate just as much on the chips and putts.

Not much to it.

Enjoy.

(18 h'cap - can't get better due to work and family committments :o()

As a PGA Pro myself I'd like to say thats total nonsense.

PGA Pro's rely on return customers, i.e members or people from the local area. Customers dont return if you sell them overpriced clubs that dont suit them.

9/10 you will get a set that suits you from a PGA Pro.

9/10 you will get whatever clubs the salesman in American Golf / Direct Golf etc makes most commision on if you go in there.

PGA Pro's rely on return customers, i.e members or people from the local area. Customers dont return if you sell them overpriced clubs that dont suit them.

9/10 you will get whatever clubs the salesman in American Golf / Direct Golf etc makes most commision on if you go in there.

OK, when I heard that story (about the cars) it was in relation to American Golf, not your regular pro.

Apologies for casting aspersions.

That said, I have a mate who likes spending money on golf gear and spoke to 4 different pros/salesmen, each of whom advised something quite different; including a club pro who advised that he had lengthened shafts. He's 5 foot 10 - even Ernie Els at 6'4" has standard length shafts!!

I'm sure you'd agree, though, that the OP shouldn't go out buying kit until he's got some kind of a consistent swing?

AS a golf club salesman myself i would like to say thats total nonsense

Big retail chains rely on return customers and i think you will find that you can shear a sheep many times but you only skin it once.

I already have a set of clubs but it's interesting to hear from pros, salesman and cynics all pitching in, so to speak.

I'm heading back out to the resort next time with a view to playing the big course; what an incentive to get a game together.

If any golfers happen to be in the Murcia region, I recommend they check the Hacienda course out as some of the water danger par 3s are beautiful, as is the clubhouse.

I used to live in Carrick Knowe I'd see guys battering their clubs off the ground. A bit rich, considering they 'skived on at the third' (a very Carrick Knowe sayng, that). Golf should be fun. Any playing it is very fortunate.

Buffalo Bill

Block Bad, Harness Good, Feel the flow, push it. Or..

Simple advice from me remember the object of the game is to get the wee ball flying in a given direction going as fast as possible (normally). The only thing that matters is the direction and speed of the clubhead as it impacts and travels through the ball. Your body moving and swinging fast does not necessarily help this but technique does. The three things that make a difference are your hips, your shoulders and your wrists. Rotating and "winding" these up and releasing them so that they are each at optimum speed levels as you hit the ball will result in the hardest possible hit. Getting them out of sequence will result in random results.

Keep your chin up and your eye on the ball (or the tee once it's hit!) throughout your shot. Keeping your head down is only halfway correct as tucking your chin in will restrict your shoulder rotation. Don't make the obvious mistake of lifting your head too early to see where the ball has ended up.

The alignment of your feet, your hips and your shoulders are important as you address the ball. All of these should be pointing at the target.

Your grip is also important. A classic neutral overlap is best in my opinion. Getting this right can be the most difficult thing as quite often holding the club this way feels un-natural at first.

Avoid unecessary swing movements, control your swing (don't swing back to far and loose balance) and don't try to hit too hard. Stay cool, it's all technique!

Lessons are the way to go but understanding the fundamental principles will help greatly. As I know you like a book Bill try "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons". Concise but full of knowledge.

Once you know you can do it the mental game will kick in. This is when the real golf begins.

Good luck.

When it comes to golf my problem is standing too close to the ball

After I 've played the shot.

OK, OK.... I only play once in a blue moon nowadays but wish I could do more. The more you play on a regular basis, the better you will become.This does have the effect of you getting more and more stressed at shots you would have een delighted with just a few months ago. You will never be happy but you will have alot of enjoyment. In many ways it is like suporting Hearts. The good times seem so much better because of all the let downs you went through to get there.

:eek:

There are probably a million answers to that questions. That is no exaggeration.

Get a lesson from someone that knows what they are doing. Then practice practice practice.

It is the most frustrating sport in the World ever. FACT:)

However when you spank a lovely 3 iron and it sails off into the distance it is well worth it...

Guest S.U.S.S.
I really need lessons but cant really be bothered with paying the money for them. More practice I suppose would help and trying to figure out what things im doing differently when I hit and good/bad shot.

Golf is a good laugh. It does make you mad at times but when you hit a good shot or hole a long putt its great. And when you lose another ball into the trees all you can do is laugh. After you have smacked the club into the ground a few times!

No, practicing the wrong things wont help you. you will need lessons to get at least the basic stance, swing etc. Well worth it if you intend to play.

Guest S.U.S.S.
:eek:

There are probably a million answers to that questions. That is no exaggeration.

Get a lesson from someone that knows what they are doing. Then practice practice practice.

It is the most frustrating sport in the World ever. FACT:)

However when you spank a lovely 3 iron and it sails off into the distance it is well worth it...

And not for the first time in his life CC puts it in the wrong hole.:)

OK, when I heard that story (about the cars) it was in relation to American Golf, not your regular pro.

Apologies for casting aspersions.

That said, I have a mate who likes spending money on golf gear and spoke to 4 different pros/salesmen, each of whom advised something quite different; including a club pro who advised that he had lengthened shafts. He's 5 foot 10 - even Ernie Els at 6'4" has standard length shafts!!

I'm sure you'd agree, though, that the OP shouldn't go out buying kit until he's got some kind of a consistent swing?

Buying clubs wont do any harm but spending ?600 on a new set of clubs wont necessarily make you a better player, it could make you worse if the clubs are not suited to your swing.

As for the comment on club lengthening, it doesnt matter what height you are, clubs are custom fitted on a wide variety of measurements. For example I know people who are 6'2" and have no extra length on their clubs because they have long arms, and someone who is 5ft 8" and has an extra 1/2 " on their clubs as they have short arms.

Best bit of advice?

Never leave your clubs in the boot of your car if you don't have full comprehensive insurance.

Or say goodbye to a full set of Titliest irons and Callaway woods.

Still not replaced them with like as it would have cost a fortune.:(

guess what 1st round this season I can play golf with no pain, everything going well until the last wedge shot, a pitching wedge to 6 inches for a 68 scratch at ratho, and my left elbow gives up. There go's my 4 handicap for this season. as i've been injured all year, once you're over 40 it sucks. left shoulder, right shoulder and now left elbow have now all been injured this season, ffs, it all used to be so easy.

I used to live in Carrick Knowe I'd see guys battering their clubs off the ground. A bit rich, considering they 'skived on at the third' (a very Carrick Knowe sayng, that). Golf should be fun. Any playing it is very fortunate.

Buffalo Bill

so true , i do it all the time, i finish work at 7pm so no time for a full round,

Play for the enjoyment rather that worrying about your score.

Have a set routine before hitting the ball. The stance is the key IMO. Check your feet are aligned to target. Always look at the ball, never lift your head as this makes you top the ball.

Archived