south africans

eddie fenwick

after reading deeks thread about the murder rate in south africa it got me thinking about south africans,at the risk of sounding racist arent they the most arrogant people on the planet

The Mighty Thor
after reading deeks thread about the murder rate in south africa it got me thinking about south africans,at the risk of sounding racist arent they the most arrogant people on the planet

They're probably in the top 5 but way behind the Septics, Aussies and English in that order.

the dutch and germans have to be up there too!!!

The Old Tolbooth

I used to have a boss who was Zimbabwean, he was the most arrogant, obnoxious, pig headed, racist, tw@t I have ever had the misfortune of meeting in my entire life!

I guess that doesn't answer your question though cos he wasn't S African :wacko:

The Old Tolbooth
the dutch and germans have to be up there too!!!

Interesting you say that, S Africans are almost deemed as Dutch by some people because of their roots.

The Old Tolbooth
why are they so arrogant though?did they have theyre own way to long?

Are you still talking about S Africans, women, or the SFA?

You can’t really tar the entire country with one brush and also, as regards the white population, there are two distinct groups, English speaking (mainly Natal Province and Cape Town) and the Afrikaans speaking people (mainly descending from Dutch/French). Now, at the risk of contradicting myself, the average Afrikaaner is arrogant, racist and stupid. Their culture is stuck sometime in the fifties, the music they listen to is gut-wrenchingly awful, their knowledge of the world outside is non-existent and they have a religion which, they claim, justifies racism.

My Afrikaans neighbour, who is an extremely intelligent man, pays his black gardener R80 (about 5 pounds) for a nine hour day. When I asked him why he does not pay more, he replied in all seriousness, that he doesn’t want to spoil him!

In a pub a couple of years ago, a guy started talking to me. As always the subject of race came up and as always his conversation began in the usual way: “Now I’m not a racist but, you see charcoal? It’s black, right? What happens when you try to set it on fire? Nothing, not a thing. See, you need a firelighter. And what colour are firelighters? White. You see what I’m getting at?

Totally astounding. Most of the people who are known to people on here are decent South Africans who have left South Africa. I’m Scottish but I’ll be leaving soon.

You can?t really tar the entire country with one brush and also, as regards the white population, there are two distinct groups, English speaking (mainly Natal Province and Cape Town) and the Afrikaans speaking people (mainly descending from Dutch/French). Now, at the risk of contradicting myself, the average Afrikaaner is arrogant, racist and stupid. Their culture is stuck sometime in the fifties, the music they listen to is gut-wrenchingly awful, their knowledge of the world outside is non-existent and they have a religion which, they claim, justifies racism.

My Afrikaans neighbour, who is an extremely intelligent man, pays his black gardener R80 (about 5 pounds) for a nine hour day. When I asked him why he does not pay more, he replied in all seriousness, that he doesn?t want to spoil him!

In a pub a couple of years ago, a guy started talking to me. As always the subject of race came up and as always his conversation began in the usual way: ?Now I?m not a racist but, you see charcoal? It?s black, right? What happens when you try to set it on fire? Nothing, not a thing. See, you need a firelighter. And what colour are firelighters? White. You see what I?m getting at?

Totally astounding. Most of the people who are known to people on here are decent South Africans who have left South Africa. I?m Scottish but I?ll be leaving soon.

So true mate. I had loads of family who lived over there but they've all moved back here.

I will say from the stories I've heard is that the average black man is a lazy b!stard, it's the women that get stuck into it. My uncle used to run a construction company and decided to give his workers a wage rise. By Thursday of the next week nobody bothered to turn up for work so when he asked wtf was going on he was told that they earn the same in three days as what they used to earn so thats all they were doing!!! Lazy gets. He had to put them on their old rate to get them to work the full week, madness!!

arent they the most arrogant people on the planet

Yes.

I was there a few years ago and there's still a strong racist undercurrent too. :sad:

chester copperpot
Yes.

I was there a few years ago and there's still a strong racist undercurrent too. :sad:

Bet you fitted in well too.

*typical response alert*

Only kidding mate.

I will say from the stories I've heard is that the average black man is a lazy b!stard, it's the women that get stuck into it. My uncle used to run a construction company and decided to give his workers a wage rise. By Thursday of the next week nobody bothered to turn up for work so when he asked wtf was going on he was told that they earn the same in three days as what they used to earn so thats all they were doing!!! Lazy gets. He had to put them on their old rate to get them to work the full week, madness!!

Apartheid was an awful thing for people to force on other people and racism is just as bad. But nowadays apartheid and racism has become synonomous with "gravy train".

Fire a black guy caught stealing. Racism.

Chuck out an underachieving black university student. Racism.

Complain when black guys skip a queue. Racism.

Try to have a trial to consider the guilt or innocence of the black president in waiting. Racism.

This is the only country in the world with institutionalised racism.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page66309?oid=80839&sn=Detail

The last line of this link reads:

If this principle was ever fully applied to the first year intake to medicine the proportion of places permitted to Whites and Indians would be limited to 9.6% and 2.5% respectively.

Notice there are no mention of exam results.

The White Cockade
Yes.

as there also is in the ex British colonies such as Kenya

You could argue that the white South Africans were no more racist than the Brits in Zimbabwe, Kenya the Portugese in Angola, Mozambique the Belgians in the Congo etc

The colonies weren't built on the spirit of fair play and democracy

I think a lot of white Africans are Grade 'A' selfish ignorant knobbers.

I also think a lot of black Africans are Grade 'A' selfish ignorant knobbers.

Far too much self pity and wallowing in past errors going on in Africa for my liking.

They need to get over it and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

In general they are not a nice race at all. Nothing racist in it it is fact.

Obviously like everywhere it has it's good eggs but as a people I find them horrible

In general they are not a nice race at all. Nothing racist in it it is fact.

Obviously like everywhere it has it's good eggs but as a people I find them horrible

Dunno how you can state as fact that they're not a nice race. As you say theres good and bad in every country, your opinion is you don't like them which is fair enough, but you can hardly state it as fact.

I've known plenty South Africans and I've yet to meet any horrible ones.

My son is best friends with a South African kid who is Africaans and a nicer family you will not meet.

That country though is ****ed so it is no surprise that you more intelligent, reasonable type of people would leave.

The Mighty Thor

There's a lot of real pish on this thread.

I've been working with and travelling to South Africa for the last 10 years and i lived with a saffer girl for 4 years.

The South Africans as a people are genuinely warm and friendly both white and black.

The arrogance? for me they are nowhere near as arrogant as the Septics, Aussies or our near neighbours.

I think this perceived arrogance is actually more down to their mentality. They have a very positive mentality and feel that they can do things and i suppose feel that what they do they do very well. They have huge amounts of self belief and aren't shy about sharing that belief. I think this grates on Scots in particular as we as a race almost seem ashamed or embarrassed to be successful. We're almost conditioned to glorious failure whereas the saffers think they will win or are the best at whatever they do. To me that's more an issue with our national mentality rather than theirs.

South Africa as a country has issues and problems to deal with but in international terms they are fairly new kids on the block and are making huge strides since the end of apartheid.

As an aside the birds are generally of a superior quality to the muffin topped munters that populate this country. :)

There's a lot of real pish on this thread.

I've been working with and travelling to South Africa for the last 10 years and i lived with a saffer girl for 4 years.

The South Africans as a people are genuinely warm and friendly both white and black.

The arrogance? for me they are nowhere near as arrogant as the Septics, Aussies or our near neighbours.

I think this perceived arrogance is actually more down to their mentality. They have a very positive mentality and feel that they can do things and i suppose feel that what they do they do very well. They have huge amounts of self belief and aren't shy about sharing that belief. I think this grates on Scots in particular as we as a race almost seem ashamed or embarrassed to be successful. We're almost conditioned to glorious failure whereas the saffers think they will win or are the best at whatever they do. To me that's more an issue with our national mentality rather than theirs.

South Africa as a country has issues and problems to deal with but in international terms they are fairly new kids on the block and are making huge strides since the end of apartheid.

As an aside the birds are generally of a superior quality to the muffin topped munters that populate this country. :)

I don't know where you have travelled to or been but I seriously think that you have your head in the sand. I have lived here for 14 years. I have taught at universities and for 14 years I have watched the education system in SA go down the pan. I have had to steadily rearrange workloads because the students couldn't cope. But do they give a toss? No way.

If they fail, the whites have money and the blacks cry racism and have a riot. Far from having a positive mentality they live in fear in places like Pretoria and Jo'Burg. To get to my in laws' house in Pretoria you have to sign in through a security boom gate. The boom gates and razor wire encircle their entire suburb. Armed police helicopters fly constantly over head and at night they use searchlights to scan the ground.

Far from making huge strides since the end of apartheid, the government are set upon a course of re-establishing apartheid albeit under a different guise.

This could be the greatest country on Earth, I have absolutely no doubt about that, but at the moment, it is tearing at the seams. Although you seem to think that South Africans are positive about the future, the reality is that everyone I meet, everyone, black and white and coloured, fear the future and if you gave them a chance to get out you would not see them for dust.

So please do not try to make out that I am talking pesh, as you put it. In 14 years of ANC rule, the percentage of people living in poverty has gone up, the gap between rich and poor has gone up, the crime rate has gone up. There are still a number of whites denialists, especially in Sandton and areas of Cape Town, who can afford to coccoon themselves in their huge houses but the majority live in shacks. Maybe your friends are some of them.

I don't know where you have travelled to or been but I seriously think that you have your head in the sand. I have lived here for 14 years. I have taught at universities and for 14 years I have watched the education system in SA go down the pan. I have had to steadily rearrange workloads because the students couldn't cope. But do they give a toss? No way.

If they fail, the whites have money and the blacks cry racism and have a riot. Far from having a positive mentality they live in fear in places like Pretoria and Jo'Burg. To get to my in laws' house in Pretoria you have to sign in through a security boom gate. The boom gates and razor wire encircle their entire suburb. Armed police helicopters fly constantly over head and at night they use searchlights to scan the ground.

Far from making huge strides since the end of apartheid, the government are set upon a course of re-establishing apartheid albeit under a different guise.

This could be the greatest country on Earth, I have absolutely no doubt about that, but at the moment, it is tearing at the seams. Although you seem to think that South Africans are positive about the future, the reality is that everyone I meet, everyone, black and white and coloured, fear the future and if you gave them a chance to get out you would not see them for dust.

So please do not try to make out that I am talking pesh, as you put it. In 14 years of ANC rule, the percentage of people living in poverty has gone up, the gap between rich and poor has gone up, the crime rate has gone up. There are still a number of whites denialists, especially in Sandton and areas of Cape Town, who can afford to coccoon themselves in their huge houses but the majority live in shacks. Maybe your friends are some of them.

He has been 'travelling' to S Africa. Very different from living there I imagine.

Out of interest why do you still live there ?

The Mighty Thor

Being a bit sensitive there chief. I never said you were talking pish.

I was referring to the total nonsense that South Africans are arrogant, that's what the thread's about. Most Saffers i know and meet are positive. What else can they be?

I work in the wine business and travel around the wine producing areas of the Cape. I work with fairtrade projects and see the benefits of that hard work on the 'disadvantaged'.

I see the shanty towns and the dark side of SA, it's not far under the surface. I'm not claiminmg that everything is rosy but the model of apartheid would have left them in a far worse place. Progress isn't always easy.

Jo'burg's a ****-hole. It was under Botha and still is now.

I don't live there but do spend a lot of time there, it's a beautiful and potentially great country in my opinion.

Doctor FinnBarr

I had a cousin that lived in Pretoria (dead now), director in some bank or other, but going back to the 80's he had a houseboy that lived in a shed in the back garden during the week, but when the trouble kicked off in the townships his mother would phone and ask for him to be employed over the weekend to keep him safe!

:eek:

Out of interest why do you still live there ?

Last night, my wife and I took our dogs out for a walk around 5pm. We drove around 2kms and walked through the vineyards. The temperature was around 28C. On our way back, we had to drive down a bit of dirt road. About 50m in front of us, two animals jumped out of the bush on our left. They ran towards us and when they spotted the car they disappeared into the bush on the right. They were caracals, in Afrikaans rooicats, red cats. In my 14 years and my wifes entire life we have never seen one, let alone two. When they left we sat and stared in total wonder. That is why I stay.

We are leaving in January. I'm sorry if I get emotional about this country. I don't mean to get personal with people, I just get so frustrated about the place. It has so much potential and the greed, the power hunger and the ethnic divides are ................ach lets just leave it.

Doctor FinnBarr
Last night, my wife and I took our dogs out for a walk around 5pm. We drove around 2kms and walked through the vineyards. The temperature was around 28C. On our way back, we had to drive down a bit of dirt road. About 50m in front of us, two animals jumped out of the bush on our left. They ran towards us and when they spotted the car they disappeared into the bush on the right. They were caracals, in Afrikaans rooicats, red cats. In my 14 years and my wifes entire life we have never seen one, let alone two. When they left we sat and stared in total wonder. That is why I stay.

We are leaving in January. I'm sorry if I get emotional about this country. I don't mean to get personal with people, I just get so frustrated about the place. It has so much potential and the greed, the power hunger and the ethnic divides are ................ach lets just leave it.

Jeez mate, only a month or so back (theres a thread about it in here someplace) we seen 2 Wildcats in the 1 day. Never ever seen 1 before but to see 2 in the 1 day, unreal!

Jeez mate, only a month or so back (theres a thread about it in here someplace) we seen 2 Wildcats in the 1 day. Never ever seen 1 before but to see 2 in the 1 day, unreal!

I remember this thread. I was really jealous that you saw wildcats. The things we saw yesterday are also called Mountian Lynx. They stand about a metre above ground. Totally awesome

Only ever met 2. On holiday last year nearly had a scrap with 2 of them. I would have lost, heavily. Both about mid-twenties and build like the sides of a house. Then there was me, 17, very drunk and whilst being over 6 feet, dwarfed by the pair of them.

Archived