Our one season wonders

gooders

When we look at the players we have had over the last few years why is it that some of our favourites only perform for a short period of time? Valois, Skacel, Bednar and currently Kingston.

They all contributed a great deal early on and then fade badly the longer they are here. Is it because things are new and exciting at the start and they are up for it, only to become disinterested and start playing guff. Do the management team or Vlad nowadays have anything to do with this?

Surely if they know the history of this great club it would inspire anyone to perform. Are the fans too critical, or does playing in a league where only the ugly sisters have a realsitic chance of winning the championship become monotonous?

Thoughts please.

dont think its that different from other teams or from years gone by to be honest mate.

There's a certain level of performance that cant be upheld other than by the top, top guys. So when you have a Valois or De Vries or Fuller, it aint gonna happen forever.

Im trying to think of examples at other clubs - maybe someone like Willo Flood at D Utd who i thought he was great last year, but might well not be so hot this year, or Porter at Motherwell could be the same.

At Tynie I'd site the likes of Salvatori who played best in his first two years, and Robert Tomaschek (sp!) who looked a right player at first.

And like RT, Bednar (and cue the abuse...), Kingston have been unlucky with injury at Tynie too

Perhaps you'd need to agree what a good player can mean; could be someone who plays at a high level over a number of years (Scholes, Gerrard, Henry, etc) - though perhaps a tad unfair to compare our Hearts 1-year-wonders to these guys, but it does highlight that the missing something is consistency.

I played a bit of football but never at a professional level - I had some great games; about 1 in 10 - not good enough of course for the SPL etc, those 1-hit-wonders played well for perhaps 20 of the ~35 games played in their season, but then nose dived, losing their consistency.

And of course whatever level you play at, no matter the area of work, without consistency then you aint gonnae step forward.

Archived