Chelsea Reject Clarke Resignation.(NHC)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Looks like there's a bit of a tug of love going on between Chelski and the Hammers.

Scolari seems resigned to losing him though so Chelsea must be holding out for more cash or something.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7612103.stm

Chelsea have turned down Steve Clarke's resignation as assistant first-team coach following an approach by West Ham to take him to Upton Park.

The Hammers appointed Gianfranco Zola as manager on Thursday and appear to want Clarke, 45, to be his number two.

But a Chelsea statement said: "West Ham have made an approach with regards to talking to Steve Clarke.

"They have not been given permission to talk to him. We have not accepted his resignation. Talks are continuing."

Clarke joined the Stamford Bridge outfit as a player in January 1987 and the defender helped the club win the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup before retiring in September 1998.

He went on to join Ruud Gullit as his assistant at Newcastle and had a brief spell as caretaker manager at the Tyneside club after the Dutchman's exit in August 1999 before working under Sir Bobby Robson at St James' Park.

The Scot returned to Chelsea - where Zola enjoyed a successful stint between 1996-2003 - and has assisted recent Chelsea managers Jose Mourinho and Avram Grant as well as Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Scolari held talks with Clarke on Wednesday and said he would give him more responsibility.

"Steve is very important for me and Chelsea," said Scolari.

"He is a man that is a point between me and the players and me and the staff. He knows very well Chelsea, the England players and clubs."

He added: "I don't know what happened in the night but when I came here in the morning I heard he had resigned."

Clarke has two years left of his current deal at Chelsea after signing a new contract after Mourinho left the club in September 2007.

Scolari expects him to go and re-join Zola and said: "Now I have been told he is going I am sad but I understand Steve.

"All people have projects in their life. I don't agree with his decision but I am happy for him because I like Stevie.

"I like him as a person and as a coach and I wish him all the best."

Clarke previously went to Newcastle as assistant manager to ex-Chelski boss Ruud Gullit so this isn't really that surprising.

Not exactly on topic but Hammers related:

I was reading a BBC article earlier this afternoon and was shocked to read that Joan Collins somehow made it down to the final 3 shortlist for the Hammers job! How the hell did he pull that off!?

Its contained in this article btw: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7607876.stm

I was reading a BBC article earlier this afternoon and was shocked to read that Joan Collins somehow made it down to the final 3 shortlist for the Hammers job! How the hell did he pull that off!?

Its contained in this article btw: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7607876.stm

Never seen that before.

Remarkable.

If Clarke wants to go, let him go. Scolari won't be short of suitable replacements.

Also, as much as I don't want to say it. I hope Zola does well for the Hammers, he's my all time favourite Chelsea player.

i saw that on teletext and meant to post it!

surely some mistake!?

West Ham have had the least managers of any top flight English club all except Macari have been English. In the sixties West Ham had one of the best youth setups in England most of there players were locals. Plus many of there players went on to be managers Malcolm Allison John Bond etc.

I've always thought why don't Hearts scout for young English players in that part of the country plenty of good English players about.

Archived