World cup qualifying sysyem (NHC)

1874robbo

Could someone explain to me how this works please.

If the winners of each group qualify and the 8 best runners up have play offs to see what four qualify where do Scotland stand?.

We are only in a five team group whereas every other group has six teams in it,so in effect we are playing 2 less games than the other groups.

So assuming that the best we can hope for is 2nd place in our group then are we not at a major disadvantage given the fact that we can't possibly collect the same amount of points as the 6 team groups.

There is probably an easy answer to this but i can't think of it.

If the winners of each group qualify and the 8 best runners up have play offs to see what four qualify where do Scotland stand?.

We are only in a five team group whereas every other group has six teams in it,so in effect we are playing 2 less games than the other groups.

So assuming that the best we can hope for is 2nd place in our group then are we not at a major disadvantage given the fact that we can't possibly collect the same amount of points as the 6 team groups.

~In the other 8 groups its only the results between the top 5 teams that are taken into account.

~In the other 8 groups its only the results between the top 5 teams that are taken into account.

Cheers for that.

I thought there would be a logical answer to it.

is the second best placed not go through leaving the other 8 runners up

Yes,i think the best 2nd place team out of all the groups automatically qualifies.

Don't worry about it mate. Scotland is gash so won't get through anyway.

Yes,i think the best 2nd place team out of all the groups automatically qualifies.

Im sure thats not the case, I think its just the group winners, then the best 8 go into playoffs, and the worse runner up doesn't get in

Im sure thats not the case, I think its just the group winners, then the best 8 go into playoffs, and the worse runner up doesn't get in

I thought the best runner up qualified automatically

That sounds about right.

The European qualification games will start in August 2008. The 53 national teams will be divided into eight groups of six teams, and one group of five. The nine group winners will qualify directly and the best eight runners-up will play home and away play-off matches for the remaining four places

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Europe

Fingers crossed we experience deja vu and work that little bit harder, managing to make it to South Africa.

The World Cup is a marvel.

Don't worry about it mate. Scotland is gash so won't get through anyway.

Right and wrong. We are gash, but we're in a very weak group. I reckon if you walked into a bookies and said you wanted to bet on Scotland finishing second in our group, and then get beaten in the play offs, you'd be lucky to bet better than evens.

Archived