Any Funny Females ?

i8hibsh

Go and I dare you?

Name one?

French and Saunders and Catherine Tait are passable but generally they are just a disgrace.

Take Mock the week - they have a token female every week and they are painful to watch

Wimen!! Stick to what you are good at as it sure aint comedy

Had this conversation with mates recently and there are very few funny female comedians or comediennes or however you say it.

Mrs Doyle from Father Ted was about the only one i could think of.

Catherine Tait, Jo Brand, Jenny Eclair and French and Saunders are absolutley terrible. As funny as root canal surgery.

I can only agree, they just don't do it the same at all. Did anyone see that last comedian standing thing that was on paramount? A girl won it and it was sooo cringy to watch, even my female house mate agrees girls just do it the same. Mock the week is awesome but as you say the woman on the show let it down every week!!

no sexism was used in the making of this post.

I saw Janey Godley supporting Jerry Sadowitz in Glasgow earlier this year and she was very good indeed. Better than most male stand ups I've seen.

http://www.janeygodley.co.uk/

She and Sadowitz are apparently old pals, she ran a pub in Glasgow at one time and Sadowitz used to do stand up there.

I think she writes a column in The Scotsman...

Also, if you've ever seen Joan Rivers actually do stand up (as oppose to appearing on a chat show) she is brilliant. I saw her on Live At The Apollo a couple of weeks ago and even in her 70's (maybe it's 90's!) she was fresh and funny, I was really impressed.

Go and I dare you?

Name one?

French and Saunders and Catherine Tait are passable but generally they are just a disgrace.

Take Mock the week - they have a token female every week and they are painful to watch

Wimen!! Stick to what you are good at as it sure aint comedy

Sorry but that's unacceptable. Completely obvious and UNfunny.

I saw Janey Godley supporting Jerry Sadowitz in Glasgow earlier this year and she was very good indeed. Better than most male stand ups I've seen.

http://www.janeygodley.co.uk/

She and Sadowitz are apparently old pals, she ran a pub in Glasgow at one time and Sadowitz used to do stand up there.

I think she writes a column in The Scotsman...

I'd have to say she is the worst stand-up i've ever seen.

She's one of the comperes at the stand in Glasgow and she has the same tedious chat every time i've been. Fat, foul-mouthed, old ned bint.

I'd rather watch an audience with Dave Lee Travis.

Victoria Wood:4_1_72:

See she's even making me laugh now.............

Well, you'd better hold on to your sides 'cos....

....it's coming....

Pam Fikkin Ayers

oi wish oi'd looked aaarfter me teeth!! :rofl:

She's one of the comperes at the stand in Glasgow and she has the same tedious chat every time i've been. Fat, foul-mouthed, old ned bint.

She won four awards at this years fringe.

She won four awards at this years fringe.

Really?

I'd heard the quality was low this year but that really is surprising.

I've never seen a compere get it as tight as she does. The stand is usually a super friendly crowd as well. She's been pish on the Glasgow scene for about 10 years now.

I agree, utter tripe!!! Same old rubbish jokes repeated constantly!

Exactly, she's like an angry, overweight parrot.

:rofl:

I've only seen her once, so the jokes were new to me.

Did you think they were good jokes the first time you heard them?

That Lucy Porter chick isn't bad, might just be because i'd shag her though.

Can't think of anyone else i'd even call anything close to "good".

Sarah Silverman - very controversial but very funny!

Genius

I concur with this choice. Depends on how sick your mind can work at times, but I find her very funny.

As the above says, Lucy Porter is decent.

I also agree on most of the feeling about Janey Godley. I think is awful as well. And as for awards, those given out at the Fringe generally are not a good marker. Look through the list of winners and who they were up against to see what I mean eg Jenny Eclair won the Perrier and she is about as funny as a kick then followed by a yip to the testicles.

But that the beauty (?!) of comedy I suppose.

:rofl:

I've only seen her once, so the jokes were new to me.

Did you think they were good jokes the first time you heard them?

Maybe Doctor. :)

I think once you've seen any stand-up do the same thing 19 times, it starts to grate. The thing is though, she must know that it's a lot of the same people that she's talking to and she never changes a thing.

I concur with this choice. Depends on how sick your mind can work at times, but I find her very funny.

As the above says, Lucy Porter is decent.

I also agree on most of the feeling about Janey Godley. I think is awful as well. And as for awards, those given out at the Fringe generally are not a good marker. Look through the list of winners and who they were up against to see what I mean eg Jenny Eclair won the Perrier and she is about as funny as a kick then followed by a yip to the testicles.

But that the beauty (?!) of comedy I suppose.

I think mentioning beauty and Jenny Eclair in the same sentence is a terrible idea.

She makes me want to vomit.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Lucy Porter - Forget what you've seen on telly. Live she's dynamite. Very crude but in a giggly girly way (for the record I would)

Sarah Silverman - Funny as. Youtube her to find out

Linda Smith was very very fun god rest her soul

Shazia Mirza - Funny, female and a muslim

Commander Harris

there are quite a few good comedic actresses but for stand-up I'd be hard pressed to name a female stand-up who is up there with some of the male acts I've seen.

Obviously it's a matter of taste and comedy is highly subjective but that's my thoughts on the matter.

anyone recommend a top class female stand-up?

(Sarah Silverman isn't my cup of tea)

Maybe Doctor. :)

I think once you've seen any stand-up do the same thing 19 times, it starts to grate. The thing is though, she must know that it's a lot of the same people that she's talking to and she never changes a thing.

Agreed, although I've watched dvds of Jimmy Carr or Eddie Izzard many times and they still make me laugh, but that's as much about the nuances of delivery, the performance, than the jokes themselves.

I saw Frankie Boyle last year and was very disappointed that I'd seen pretty much his whole act in 12, 5 minute instalments during the previous series of Mock The Week.

I think mentioning beauty and Jenny Eclair in the same sentence is a terrible idea.

She makes me want to vomit.

I wondered how long that would take!:P

Agreed, although I've watched dvds of Jimmy Carr or Eddie Izzard many times and they still make me laugh, but that's as much about the nuances of delivery, the performance, than the jokes themselves.

I saw Frankie Boyle last year and was very disappointed that I'd seen pretty much his whole act in 12, 5 minute instalments during the previous series of Mock The Week.

Frankie Boyle has been excellent on the Glasgow scene for years. Always head and shoulders above most of the other local guys. I wasn't really surprised to see him getting a break on TV, he deserves it.

Jimmy Carr I find quite funny, but I love Eddie Izzard. He really is a genius and he never seems to lose his appeal.

My favourites are Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. Raw and Delirious are proably the funniest things i've ever seen.

Sawdust Caesar

That Lauren Laverne was garbage on it last week. I think she only cracked about 2 gags and both were gash. Whoever booked her should be severely reprimanded or at least roundly flogged.

Lucy Porter is reasonable, but looks a lot rougher than she does on tv, also she is about 5ft nothing, i was shocked at how short she was.

o aye for the record i would

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Are we talking purely stand-up, or broader than that?

Tina Fey is good. And Amy Poehler, Leslie Mann and Susie Essman (from Curb Your Enthusiasm) are brilliant comic actors.

Lucy porter is funny and v hot

Theres some girl who does a ventriloquist act?! Saw her at Melbourne Comedy festival and v funny also

Go and I dare you?

Name one?

There are plenty of them who are funny, but none who actually mean to be.

Actually, cancel "funny". I meant sad.

Lucy Porter - Forget what you've seen on telly. Live she's dynamite. Very crude but in a giggly girly way (for the record I would)

Sarah Silverman - Funny as. Youtube her to find out

Linda Smith was very very fun god rest her soul

Shazia Mirza - Funny, female and a muslim

I didn't even know she was dead until I read this. I wondered why I hadn't heard her on the radio or seen her on the telly for a while!

I loved her deadpan style of delivery.

I watched an episode of the new Katy Brand series and was surprised to find it pretty funny. I'd never seen the first series so didn't know what to expect but i'll probably watch it again tonight.

Can I also join the queue for a shot of Lucy Porter, i'm not fussy with sloppy's:dribble:

that female on mock the week last week was shocking (about as funny as the black death) on the other hand Frannkie was on true form and made me nearly pee myself....his description of how alister daring could sum up the medium term prospects of the economy on the Andrew Marr show was very good..

Dr Ian Malcolm
Lucy porter is funny and v hot

Theres some girl who does a ventriloquist act?! Saw her at Melbourne Comedy festival and v funny also

Nina Conti - daughter of Tom.

She'd also get it.

I agree women are'nt funny but the exception to the rule is joan rivers vfunny women her stand up show that was on dave channel the other night was cracking.

i'm not a fan of women comedians to be honest, cos i don;t really care for anti men, periods, or shecht "jokes" like that

linda smith was very funny as a stand up and a very good writer too. lucy porter is as funny as cockrot and really bland. jo caulfield is good.

nina conti isn't as funny as her monkey though ;)

edited to add joan rivers is a real hoot, makes me cry laughing. wasn't able to get tickets for her stand up thing this year though

Men make gags about anything and erverything

all women make 'jokes' about are tampax and men being d*cks

Generally speaking I'm not a fan either, but you have to admit that this is genius.....

See when you watch children in need and it shows you the bits about "where your money will go and how you can help" etc

well that is actually funnier than that clip and those clips bring tears to a stone

sorry mate she is a badger's erse

Archived