Giving Blood

i8hibsh

I've got a few days of work and I have decided to do something positive with my pathetic existence and go and give blood tomorrow.

I have always meant to do it but have just never got round to it.

Is it sore? Do they take a lot out of you?

ps I am a big woos yes

Guest gorgie kev
I've got a few days of work and I have decided to do something positive with my pathetic existence and go and give blood tomorrow.

I have always meant to do it but have just never got round to it.

Is it sore? Do they take a lot out of you?

ps I am a big woos yes

Quote of the week ;)

I was informed tonight that i am not elligable due to me having numerous tatoos!!

Is this correct?

Yes, you were definitely informed that.

I was informed tonight that i am not elligable due to me having numerous tatoos!!

Is this correct?

You're not supposed to donate within 12 months of having one done but having one doesn't stop you. My old man donates every 3 months and he has double figures in the old tattoo stakes!

It doesn't hurt, doesn't take too long and you actually feel like you've done something useful.

It's not sore.

They only take 1 pint.

Don't drink any alcohol or excercise after it and you'll be fine.

A pint? That's very nearly an armful! :eek:

Dont think it is a full pint. Ive donated blood for years.

Get going you big girls blouses.

Scared of needles :rolleyes:

You can ask for a local anaesthetic and you don't have to look as they slip the needle into your vein. Totally painless and as others have said you are doing your bit for the community. Go for it!:thumb:

i've got white coat syndrome but i've always wanted to give blood.

i tried a couple of years ago but come out in a cold sweat as soon as i got in the place. i went noticably dizzy and almost passed out when the nurse *****ed my finger to check my iron levels. as i'd got that far i was determined to go through with it but the nurse was having none of it :mad:

I have just been and I have to say relatively harmless and I feel good for it

I didn't get a lollypop at the end but the lovely nursies game me tons of orange juice and Tunnock's Teacakes.

I will defo do it again.

I thought it would be in a cubicle or something but it was in an open spaced room with about 10 dentist like chairs. You seee everyone else getting it too but you can get a spraff witht he person next to you

Good on you, well done.

There was a thread on this last week and I said then "It's relaxing and you get a Tunnock's Tea cake, what's not to like?". I actually associate the taste of Tunnock's Tea cakes with having a wee plaster on my arm now.

Joking aside, they have to be so picky about who can and can't donate now that everyone who can donate, should.

After another nine pints you'll get your bronze award, which looks awfy like a Hearts pin. :)

I'm trying for my silver award (currently on 23 pints), but I'm never going to get there with my love of travel.

Good on you, well done.

There was a thread on this last week and I said then "It's relaxing and you get a Tunnock's Tea cake, what's not to like?". I actually associate the taste of Tunnock's Tea cakes with having a wee plaster on my arm now.

Joking aside, they have to be so picky about who can and can't donate now that everyone who can donate, should.

After another nine pints you'll get your bronze award, which looks awfy like a Hearts pin. :)

I'm trying for my silver award (currently on 23 pints), but I'm never going to get there with my love of travel.

Yeah there is a lot of scrutiny, which is fair enough but if your blood get's tested anyway for everything under the sun what is the problem.

After all it is well known that their is a shortage in Scotland

Fair play for your 23 pints!!! your arm must look like a Hibs fans :)

Contrary to a previous post I think you should drink alcohol after giving blood as you get pished a wee bit easier. I see it as a bonus like when a doctor gives you pills and says 'don't drink after taking these'.

Always give blood myself unless I've had a tattoo

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I've donated 15 pints in total but not for a few years. I wanted to start again last week only to be told that I can't donate as I have been to Asia recently. So that rules me out for the forseeable future as I go to Asia at least 2 times every year. It did seem a bit ridiculous to me as I presume they test the blood which is donated and they are always going on about being short of doners.

Contrary to a previous post I think you should drink alcohol after giving blood as you get pished a wee bit easier. I see it as a bonus like when a doctor gives you pills and says 'don't drink after taking these'.

Always give blood myself unless I've had a tattoo

They do say drink plenty of liquids.

I went out and got oiled last night.

oooops

Be super brave and ask to get tested for apheresis means you can donate plasma and platelettes. you can go every month get a couple hours off work and every donation is liek the equivalent of 3-4 pints of whole blood

Archived