ELBOW winning the Mercury

Nelly Terraces

Nelly Terraces

Haven't seen a thread on this, so thought I'd start.

Was totally chuffed to see that band get the recognition they so rightly deserve. Utterly brilliant band, and this album is definitely their best, without a single bad track on it, most are amazing. I've been into them for years and it's always baffled me how they've not been massive. Guess now a lot more folk will get exposed to guy Garveys songwriting genius.

No band manages to come close to their complete and total genius. Some of their songs are like being put through an emotional wringer. They leave you half broken to be quite honest they can move you that much. Hardest job in pop to do that, be able to make these incredibly heartfelt tunes but also keep the songs as good as they do.

Seen them twice live, and if you haven't had the chance, then I suggest you do, as they are a truly frightening proposition with the tunes sounds

f ***** g gigantic in scale. Gutted that when they come back up here in October, I'm away on ma hols.

A truly epic sounding band, who eventually are getting their just rewards. You'd have to have cloth ears, or be a total c ** t not to be happy for them, or like their stuff, and Guy Garvey as a bloke, as he is a top, top man.

Cheers.;)

The People's Chimp

yeah I was pretty gutted i missed them at connect. I always thought they were a bit average...without every truly listening to them. Butg their new stuff is superb and will make me revise my previous opinion no doubt.

guy garvey is a sound boy as well.

Say What Again

A guy who I worked with - who still makes music for short films and a while ago supported the Fine Young Cannibals - absolutely LOVES Elbow.

He played them a lot at work and I got a few of their songs in my head. Always thought a full album of thiers was much of a muchness.

Maybe just that kind of voice.

Not in the same league but the same way I always found Heather Small

Saw them live. Supported Muse which was a strange pairing. They were brilliant none the less.

I like there music however I do prefer listening to a few tracks rather than a full album.

Can't say i've ever heard of Elbow.

I was really hoping Burial would win. Probably the best LP of 2007.

People say it's dubstep but it's more like a blend of garage and electronica. Great headphone music and really original.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Can't say i've ever heard of Elbow.

I was really hoping Burial would win. Probably the best LP of 2007.

People say it's dubstep but it's more like a blend of garage and electronica. Great headphone music and really original.

In other words, it is pish :P

;)

It's pretty amazing stuff Gav.

http://www.myspace.com/burialuk

Give this a wee listen.

At a quick glance the dude looks like you! Only listened to 30secs of the 1st track seems like a nice 'chill-out-roll-another-fat-one-grandad-sit-in-your-garden-in-the-summer' kinda sound! Altho im just waiting on an MC kicking in and shouting '3-2-1 when the crowd say Bo-Selecta'. sounds like that beat!

At a quick glance the dude looks like you! Only listened to 30secs of the 1st track seems like a nice 'chill-out-roll-another-fat-one-grandad-sit-in-your-garden-in-the-summer' kinda sound! Altho im just waiting on an MC kicking in and shouting '3-2-1 when the crowd say Bo-Selecta'. sounds like that beat!

hehe!!

No MCs so far on his stuff. It is very chilled and definitely well produced. He uses a 2-step beat rather than a Dubstep style which is not something i really like but he does it well.

Do you really smoke biffters with your grandad? :eek:

hehe!!

No MCs so far on his stuff. It is very chilled and definitely well produced. He uses a 2-step beat rather than a Dubstep style which is not something i really like but he does it well.

Do you really smoke biffters with your grandad? :eek:

Nah but im pretty sure he would if I asked him! Just me being silly. This was my college project many moons ago. It was my first time using flash so excuse the crudeness but the guy in the glasses is meant to be my grandad. http://tapshopta.com/flash1.html

It actually took me a while to realise the beat which is probably to do with the production being good like you say.

Good to see an Elbow appreciation thread.

I've loved them since their first album (which was nominated for the Mercury but didn't win).

They have managed to produce four albums which are all fantastic in their own right. Not many rock/indie bands can come close to them in terms of consistency.

I also saw them in the spring time at the ABC in Glasgow and they were fantastic that night. Guy Garvey is a top bloke who has decent banter between songs. I loved his comment when they were about to play Mirrorball off the new album that in homage to the absolutley massive mirrorball in the ABC that they would call the song the "****in Massive ABC Glasgow Mirrorball" in the future.

Meh. Like the new elbow album but thought the previous efforts were pretty *****. Would have preferred Radiohead, British Sea Power or Burial to win.

Guy Garveys radio show on 6music is pretty good. Seems a sound dude. Had to admire how peshed he was when he was interviewed after the ceremony. Beetroot man!

Archived