Berra

Alan_R

will Berra get a game?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. will Berra get a game?

• Yes, starting 11
    • Yes, as a sub
    • No, not at all

Weir and Caldwell i reckon, Dailly would prob even play before him.

that was my thinking. Surely this is berra's time now? He should get the nod, but he won't.

No doubt, his chance will come if/when its mathematically impossible for Scotland to qualify, so OF players can concentrate on their SPL title challenges :(

I've a feeling Burley doesn't rate him too highly.

When clubfoot gets in before you then there's a problem.

Hope to be wrong ....

I've a feeling Burley doesn't rate him too highly.

When clubfoot gets in before you then there's a problem.

Hope to be wrong ....

tbf Broadfoot was at right back....

I'd play Weir ahead of Berra. Caldwell on the other hand....

Putting Berra a left-sided CB in place of McManus another left-sided CB would seem logical , but they probably wont

tbf Broadfoot was at right back....

I'd play Weir ahead of Berra. Caldwell on the other hand....

I know, I was meaning when McAnus was red carded and rather than bring Berra on Burley moved clubfoot to Centre and bring that old duffer Alexander on, who almost cost us at the end.

As I said, Burley obviously doesn't rate Berra, yet (hopefully)/

Oh, and Weir should never play for Scotland again, way too old and has previously done a McCulloch !

I know, I was meaning when McAnus was red carded and rather than bring Berra on Burley moved clubfoot to Centre and bring that old duffer Alexander on, who almost cost us at the end.

As I said, Burley obviously doesn't rate Berra, yet (hopefully)/

Oh, and Weir should never play for Scotland again, way too old and has previously done a McCulloch !

Fair point, hopefully its because it was so tense rather than that he doesnt rate Berra.

He'll get into the squad but it seems Burley will pick anyone before him. Look out for Darren Dods, Zander Diamond or someone equally useless getting into the team instead.

From a Scotland point of view - I hope he doesn't play.

I rate Weir and Caldwell higher as much as it pains me to say it. Caldwell has surprised me. He has played very well since breaking into the team.

berra should be starting insted of caldwell anyway.

2 left side centre halves won't work. His only chance is major loss of form, injury or suspension to McManus.

And that still won't guarantee him a snif

It pains me to say it from an HMFC point of view but a part of me really hopes Webster regains fitness and form soon, otherwise we're screwed.

Bet you Anderson is regretting his move from Aberdeen now, he would be a shoe-in.

The Future's Maroon
No doubt, his chance will come if/when its mathematically impossible for Scotland to qualify, so OF players can concentrate on their SPL title challenges :(
Although it is wrong, I believe you are right.

Berra should be given his chance, but it won't happen....but there must be hope if Fatfoot gets a game?

As soon as McManus got himself (stupidly) sent-off, that should have been the time for Berra to come on. Left-sided central defender taking the place vacated by a left-sided central defender.

For some reason, Graham Alexander was thought to be a better choice! So, they'd rather play someone out of position (which seemed to be everyone bar Craig Gordon and Kenny Miller for the final 10 minutes!) than give Berra a game.

Purely for that reason, I don't think he'll get the nod for the Norway game. He could not put a foot wrong between now and then, and the best he can hope for is a place on the bench.

I think he should start, but I don't think he will. After the Macedonia result, Burley looks like he's just going to pander to the majority (such as calling up Steven Fletcher - a move which effectively killed off the U-21s chances of qualification), and he'll do the same for the Norway game. They're be a glut of Rantic players suddenly available, and he'll pick them ahead of Berra. I'm sure he'd try and play Pressley or even Butcher ahead of Berra! I genuinely believe he's going to do what he thinks the fans want, and not what he thinks is the right idea.

Paranoia strikes. Berra isn't good enough to play for Scotland. I'm not saying Alexander or Broadfoot are, or that they are more deserving than Berra, but the fact of the matter is he should be nowhere the starting line-up anyway.

I think that it would have been a baptisim of fire for Berra if he had put him on tonight, in a must win game, with us down to 10 men as his first competative cap it would be a lot of pressure for him, Alexander had the experience to deal with it.

TBH I would like him to play against Norway, I think he would be the most natural replacement but being alongside Caldwell seems like a bit of a nightmare defence to me.

I don't think he will play, as Burley showed just how useless he is tonight by bringing on Alexander ahead of the ready made replacement of Berra. You have Broadfoot, making his debut at right back, and exceeding all expectations, so Drunken George decides to move him to a position he ain't played for a while, and bring on Alexander who had been dropped from right back cos he was gash. That almost cost us the match!

McManus should also have a longer sabbatical from the team than the red will provide. How on earth your supposed captain thinks that punching the ball away near the goalline when 2-0 up is the right move to make I will never know. Add to that the fact he has been utter garbage for the last 2 games, then any sensible person would surely empty him quicker than George empties a can of tennants

If Weir's fit, he'll probably play. If not it's a toss up between Barr and Berra.

anyone of them will be an improvement on McManus to be fair.

The defence is the worst part of the team just now. McManus is ok playing beside Weir, who does all the organising, positional play and anything that doesn't require jumping in front of the ball or heading it the direction you're facing. Caldwell is a better (far better) player than McManus but his distribution is wild an he is prone to horrendous mistakes. Berra and Barr might make good centre halfs but neither can be trusted yet.

Naysmith is alright and reasonably dependable but his best days are gone. Hutton is by far the best player at the back but unfortunately he's no much of a defender either.

I propose we play Zander Diamond.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Paranoia strikes. Berra isn't good enough to play for Scotland. I'm not saying Alexander or Broadfoot are, or that they are more deserving than Berra, but the fact of the matter is he should be nowhere the starting line-up anyway.

Agreed.

Average SPL defender IMO.

Weir or Dailly will play.

Dailly shouldn't even be considered for selection. I still remember him coming on as a sub away against the Czechs and costing us a goal within 2 minutes.

Say What Again

I don't think he will.

Left up to me I wouldn't play him.

Scotland aren't blessed with great centre halfs just now and Cristophe Berra is far from being the answer.

I don't think he will.

Left up to me I wouldn't play him.

Scotland aren't blessed with great centre halfs just now and Cristophe Berra is far from being the answer.

I'd agree with that. He's far too inexperienced to put in for probably our most important game in the whole group now.

Having said that he should have got some friendly time under Burley because if we lose Weir and maybe one other before then, Burley will HAVE to play him and its too big game for a debut centre half to be playing in.

I've aslo a sneaking suspicion that he isnt actually good enough either.

Berra should have been given far much more game time in Burley's 3 friendly matches - saying that if Kirk Broadfoot can be brought into the squad and make his debut in what turned out to be a massively important game for us after the Macedonia defeat then there is no reason why Berra couldn't and shouldn't play against Norway at Hampden.

Of course he won't though as Davie Weir will be brought back (if fit) or Dailly despite them having no realistic future at International level.....Burley is turning out to be as frustrating as most previous Scotland managers.

2 left side centre halves won't work. His only chance is major loss of form, injury or suspension to McManus.

And that still won't guarantee him a snif

um... hello. have you seen how badly mcmanus has been lately?

alwaysthereinspirit

No. There will be an OF player or an old timer with experience who will be drafted in for such a big game. GFA GTF.

The defence is the worst part of the team just now. McManus is ok playing beside Weir, who does all the organising, positional play and anything that doesn't require jumping in front of the ball or heading it the direction you're facing. Caldwell is a better (far better) player than McManus but his distribution is wild an he is prone to horrendous mistakes. Berra and Barr might make good centre halfs but neither can be trusted yet.

Naysmith is alright and reasonably dependable but his best days are gone. Hutton is by far the best player at the back but unfortunately he's no much of a defender either.

I propose we play Zander Diamond.

I propose you are drunk, or worse......

I think Weir is past it however against Carew would Berra be able to cope with his height?

Obviously I don't see Berra every week so don't know how good he is in the air?

Not exactly rolling in top drawer centre halfs at present are Scotland!

Berra's now got 6 months to prove himself worthy of a starting line up - Hearts'll be top of the league by then so Burley'll have to play him. This Night Nurse is barry (swig). hic.

i'd like to think he'd play but i can see the likes of weir playing before him. caldwell shouldn't be in the celtic team never mind the scotland team. he's a liability. i don't see why barr and berra (in the future) can't be a good pairing in the centre of defence so i wouldn't mind either of them being put into mcmanus's position for the next match.

unfortunately i just can't see burley holding the same views and will no doubt put weir back into central defence

I think Weir is past it however against Carew would Berra be able to cope with his height?

Obviously I don't see Berra every week so don't know how good he is in the air?

Not exactly rolling in top drawer centre halfs at present are Scotland!

Your right in that Carew's height will be a problem. Maybe it's time for Kevin James to get a belated call up :P

Hopefully not. Berra needs to find a nasty streak and quickly. Far too soft to be top drawer.

fair point, i don't think Berra is an international player, mind you some who have played are in the same boat. he won't play against Norway either.

With Dailly, Weir, Caldwell and probably even Broadfoot, he's no chance! Sell him to Rangers or Celtic and he'd be in every time, he's a Hearts player and that's why he won't play i'm afraid, mind you, i don't particularly rate him as an international, he's a half decent squad player at most at club level though.

With Dailly, Weir, Caldwell and probably even Broadfoot, he's no chance! Sell him to Rangers or Celtic and he'd be in every time, he's a Hearts player and that's why he won't play i'm afraid, mind you, i don't particularly rate him as an international, he's a half decent squad player at most at club level though.

See this is baws, isn't it? Gordon, Weir, Pressley, Webster have all been 1st picks during their time at Hearts. add in stacks of other players who've had a good handful of caps recently as well. There's been times in the past when it was true that Hearts players were overlooked in favour of OF players but I don't see it now, I really don't. Who are all these players in the SPL who are being left out because they're not at the OF?

Dailly will never be in a Scotland squad again by the way.

Berra isn't good enough yet. Sorry, but it's nothing to do with the 'GFA'. IMO, Caldwell, McManus, Weir and Barr are better centre-backs than Berra. Berra should never be in ahead of Caldwell, as much as it pains me to say it (from a Hearts point of view). Caldwell has been outstanding in the last few Scotland games, although he is prone to big errors sometimes. McManus isn't great, but he's still ahead of Berra IMO, as is Weir. So I reckon Weir and Caldwell for Norway and rightly so IMO.

Archived