Don't let the truth get in the way ...

piltonjambo

of a good story ...

First the Scotsman report ...

Hearts boss Laszlo tells fringe players to show more desire By MARK BONTHRONE

HEARTS boss Csaba Laszlo today warned the club's fringe players that they face a fight if they are to secure themselves long-term futures at the club.

The Hungarian has had a good start to life in the SPL, winning three of his opening four matches to leave the Jambos sitting in third place in the table ahead of this weekend's trip to Falkirk.

Laszlo has taken time to assess the squad which he has, by and large, inherited and declared himself satisfied with the majority of his first-team players.

He has already intimated that he hopes in years to come the Gorgie outfit will rely largely on home-grown players being brought through the ranks and into the first team.

However, after watching his second string draw 1-1 in a closed doors game with St Johnstone this week, he admitted that the club are

still some way from having the strength and depth of squad that he is aiming for.

"It was a chance for the reserve team to show their talent and show what players we can use in the future and it was a good exercise," he said.

"I know the players I have here and sometimes it is interesting to see their attitudes. I was satisfied with some of them but others will have to show a lot more.

"These games are not difficult for players. If you can play football, you can play football. If you can't, you can't.

"We must work very hard to change some things. The reserve team must deliver players to the first team and at the moment I'm not so satisfied. We have a lot of work to do. It is the truth.

"We are not here to give young people a nice life and nice money. They must do something.

"There is not enough from some of them at the moment and they know my opinion." Meanwhile, new Hearts recruit, Adrian Mrowiec, signed from FBK Kaunas before the transfer window closed, has revealed he hopes to help the club qualify for Europe this season.

The Polish midfielder was part of the Kaunas side that dumped Rangers out of the Champions League qualifiers and after putting pen-to-paper on a deal at Tynecastle he is hoping to experience more continental competition.

"I played in Lithuania for three years and wanted a change of country," he said. "The league in Scotland is very good and I'm very happy to be here.

"Knocking Rangers out of the Champions League was a memorable experience and it would be great to play for Hearts in Europe.

"Everybody wants to be in the Champions League but our first target must be the UEFA Cup and then we will see what happens."

And then of course we have the Setanta report ? one would assume on the same interview

Laszlo slams fringe players by Gordon Pope, 10 September 2008

Csaba Laszlo has hit out at the youngsters at Hearts, telling them they must earn their wages.

The Hearts manager wants to see a conveyor belt of players progressing from under-19s to the reserves, then to the first-team, but he fails to see that happening.

?We have a lot of work to do,? Laszlo told the Hearts website. ?It is the truth.

?We are not here to give young people a nice life and nice money. They must do something.

?They must know if they want to be a professional football player and show me more. There is not enough at the moment from some of them and they know my opinion.?

Laszlo was speaking after seeing his side draw a closed-doors match with St Johnstone and was left disappointed by the efforts of his squad players.

?It was a chance for the reserve team to show their talent and show what players we can use in the future,? he continued.

?It was a good exercise. I know the players I have here and sometimes it is interesting to see their attitudes. I was satisfied with some of them but others will have to show a lot more.

?These games are not difficult for players. If you can play football, you can play football. If you can?t, you can?t. In professional football there is only one thing ? you can play or you can?t.

?We must work very hard to change some things. The reserve team must deliver players to the first team and at the moment I?m not satisfied.?

Deary dear ? how bad?:(

Sorry guys ... the issue for me was ...

Laszlo tells ... as compared to Laszlo slams!!!

I have to agree with you. Plus they've rearranged the quotes to make it sound more negative. But I guess that's trashy journalism for you. And it's not stopped the sun selling about a million copies a day.

There is another contradiction in that he was referring to fringe players whereas Pope says he hit out at youngsters.

Laszlo's idea is to have a U19 team then a reserve team for players up to 23.

Archived