Work discussions ftw - lottery related

BlackJAC?

the other day we were all discussing lottery odds and how they actually work.

Some people imo rather stupidly stated if buying 1 ticket gives you a 1 in 10,000,000 (just a nice round figure for argument sake) buying 2 tickets would double your odds of winning.

Unless I'm missing something fairly obvious, which I don't think I am, then buying two tickets would only marginally improve your odds, not actually double them. I say you'd have to buy thousands of tickets as to be able to double your odds.

Using their method you'd hit evens just buying a hanful of tickets.

Some people imo rather stupidly stated if buying 1 ticket gives you a 1 in 10,000,000 (just a nice round figure for argument sake) buying 2 tickets would double your odds of winning.

Unless I'm missing something fairly obvious, which I don't think I am, then buying two tickets would only marginally improve your odds, not actually double them. I say you'd have to buy thousands of tickets as to be able to double your odds.

Buying 2 tickets doubles your odds - but they're still miniscule. Using your example buying 2 tickets gives you a 2 in 10m chance !

The odds of winning the lottery are around 1 in 14 million.

If you spent a million pounds on tickets, you'd still only have a 14/1 chance of winning.

Bit of a risk.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The chances of winning the UK National Lottery are 1 in 13,987,816. So 2 in 13,987,816 is the same as 1 in 6,993,908.

Still more probable than the Scottish Cup ending up at Fester Road, however.

The chances of winning the UK National Lottery are 1 in 13,987,816. So 2 in 13,987,816 is the same as 1 in 6,993,908.

Still more probable than the Scottish Cup ending up at Fester Road, however.

This is where I completely disagree. Buy 4 tickets and the odds will be down to 3.5m and so on. So you'd reach evens in no time at all, so your method is incorrect.

This is where I completely disagree. Buy 4 tickets and the odds will be down to 3.5m and so on. So you'd reach evens in no time at all, so your method is incorrect.

No they won't - if you buy 3 tickets your odds are 3 in 13,987,816 which is 1 in 4,662,605. You need to buy 6,993,980 tickets to reduce your odds to evens.

Is this a serious question?

Archived