Breastfeeding

nikki 74

Recently in the press there has been articles about women who breastfeed their kids until 5 or 6 and women who breastfeed other womens babies, is this morally right or wrong?

I have no problems with breast feeding, and i breast fed my kids until they were 6 months, but i have to admit ifind it disturbing to read about kids who still feed off their mums milk at school age and feel that its nothing more than abuse. Maybe its fine feding older kids in the third world where food is in short supply.

Programme on last night about this, with that Kate Garraway. Some of it was a bit dodgy in my opinion. Especially the woman who fed other peoples babies and found it a slightly sexual thing.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

My girlfriend is currently pregnant and is planning to breast feed - which I think is great.

If she was still doing this when the child reaches a certain age then I think I'd have a massive problem with it. Infact I'd leave her ;) Its wrong.

The WHO recommends breast feeding until 4, the world average is 4.5. If people want to breast feed their kids to 5 or 6 so what?

It's good stuff, better than cow's milk, better than formula. It's also free!

My youngest is coming up for 18months and still gets fed by my wife morning and evening, she has no plans to stop and why should she?

My oldest two stopped at about a year, they just started to refuse the breast, but if they're keen to continue, let them.

Cross feeding is fine too, it's not a new thing and was perfectly acceptable 100 years ago and is widely accepted outside of the west. Wet nursing is a perfectly valid occupation, it's our perverted sensibilities and prudishness that make it seem odd.

It's what breasts are for, yeah they're nice to look at and fun to play with, but they're not mine, so if I get a shot it's a privilege and a pleasure!

It's not a matter of morality at all, it's a symptom of the objectification of women and their bodies in particular, that's what's immoral!

Breast feeding is something that quite rightly should be talked up.

My wife fed ours for 18 months & was criticised for it from some.

Much more convenient than bottles & better for the baby. There are also health benefits for the mother as well.

Babies fed on formula boak it up a lot. Thats a fair indication of what they prefer.

As for feeding 6 year olds. ****ing weirdos!

Programme on last night about this, with that Kate Garraway. Some of it was a bit dodgy in my opinion. Especially the woman who fed other peoples babies and found it a slightly sexual thing.

I think that that woman struggled to communicate what she really meant, English was not her first language. I think that she meant that she felt connected, close to the baby, rather than turned on. When she was asked if she was aroused she looked confused and hesitant, I don't think that's what she meant.

Miller Jambo 60
Breast feeding is something that quite rightly should be talked up.

My wife fed ours for 18 months & was criticised for it from some.

Much more convenient than bottles & better for the baby. There are also health benefits for the mother as well.

Babies fed on formula boak it up a lot. Thats a fair indication of what they prefer.

As for feeding 6 year olds. ****ing weirdos!

It is the most natural thing in the world.

Dont know about women feeding other kids fair enough if its going to save a child.

As for 6 year old kids still on the boob WTF

What's more astonishing there's mothers out there that still feel they have to justify themselves to those morons that take issue with them breastfeeding.

It's natural, it's beneficial to the kid and it has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone other than the mother and kid/s.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

It's only a problem when your missus gets her baps stuck in the school railings

I have no problems with breast feeding, and i breast fed my kids until they were 6 months, but i have to admit ifind it disturbing to read about kids who still feed off their mums milk at school age and feel that its nothing more than abuse. Maybe its fine feding older kids in the third world where food is in short supply.

That says more about your own mentality than it does about the mothers that feel the need to breastfeed 4/5 year olds.

starving your kid is abuse, using unnecessary force is abuse, performing sexual acts on a kid is abuse, locking your kid in a room is abuse, cutting them off from reality is abuse and so on. To lumber breastfeeding next to those issues is completely idiotic and maybe it's you that has the problem and not those that decide to breastfeed their kids beyond the age of 3.

I really can't believe in this day and age that there's still people like you that think this way. It's a mentality that was rife in the 50's, then reared it's ugly head again in the 80's only for it to be stamped out again.

That says more about your own mentality than it does about the mothers that feel the need to breastfeed 4/5 year olds.

starving your kid is abuse, using unnecessary force is abuse, performing sexual acts on a kid is abuse, locking your kid in a room is abuse, cutting them off from reality is abuse and so on. To lumber breastfeeding next to those issues is completely idiotic and maybe it's you that has the problem and not those that decide to breastfeed their kids beyond the age of 3.

I really can't believe in this day and age that there's still people like you that think this way. It's a mentality that was rife in the 50's, then reared it's ugly head again in the 80's only for it to be stamped out again.[/QUOT

so where do we draw the line? do you think if the kid wants to breastfeed at 8 or 9 would you think its appropriate? Can you imagine the ridicule that a kid would get at school if their classmates found out that were still breastfeeding? I don,t have a problem with breastfeeding as i fed both my kids in this wayas its the most natural thing in the world, by all means feed your TODDLER til 3/4 but feeding kids that are of SCHOOL AGE is something that i find odd. everyone is entitiled to an opinion but i,m not the only person who has that opinion!

I'm not talking about 8 or 9 year olds, i'm talking about kids that are around 5 or even 6, 5 or 6 year olds that are of school age. if you're going to make sweeping generalisations like saying "kids of school age", then you've got to realise there's going to flaws in your argument.

If the kid doesn't want breastfed, then it only stands to reason that a mother should no longer breastfeed that child, but if both child and mother has no issues with it whatsoever, then where's the problem?

Nor have I ever stated your not entitled to an opinion, i just happen to think your opinion is both silly and narrow minded.

Also, the only way kids will be mocked at such a young age by similar aged kids is if the parents of those kids make an issue out of it, then the kids will obviously go to school and repeat the nonsense that their parents have spouted.

feel that its nothing more than abuse

Ridiculous statement!

For everyone who breastfeeds there is a cut off point at which it's right for you to stop! Ok for mothers to still be breastfeeding their 6+year old kids, seems a bit strange! Suppose it's all personal opinion!

That woman who was talking about it being slightly sexual was worrying! I am sure she was a bonkers, new age, one off (i hope!!)

To say it's abuse is plain ignorance though - particularly if you think it's ok for other cultures to do it.

All imho of course!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Ridiculous statement!

For everyone who breastfeeds there is a cut off point at which it's right for you to stop! Ok for mothers to still be breastfeeding their 6+year old kids, seems a bit strange! Suppose it's all personal opinion!

That woman who was talking about it being slightly sexual was worrying! I am sure she was a bonkers, new age, one off (i hope!!)

To say it's abuse is plain ignorance though - particularly if you think it's ok for other cultures to do it.

All imho of course!

Does anyone esle think it's funny that somebody called 'Chebs' has posted on a breastfeeding thread?

:P

That was on in our house last night.

When the woman offered Kate G some breast milk I did for a second wonder if she was going to go for it from source... :rolleyes:

That was on in our house last night.

When the woman offered Kate G some breast milk I did for a second wonder if she was going to go for it from source... :rolleyes:

Gutted i never caught this last night.

Kate Garraway talking about anything is the business, but other womens nipples?

Jeez.

Gutted i never caught this last night.

Kate Garraway talking about anything is the business, but other womens nipples?

Jeez.

Steady the Buffs old man! The fact it was KG was balanced out by the few "earthmother" types on parade. Trust me.

Actually, I'm not to Roger about KG.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes she is fit (kinda)...but I can't stand GMTV and her pontifications about things.

Still, she's "upfront and proud" I s'ppose. :rolleyes:

This thread seems to have let a few people get things off their chests! Wet nursing was very common and acceptable in the past so it makes you wonder when it became otherwise. Was it economics or was it a social and moral re-appraisal that caused it to stop?

Do these children who are breast-fed until early school years get the opportunity to try anything other than breast milk?

Never had kids and at the minute do not really fancy any (seemingly they stretch you a bit). However I don't see any problem with people breast feeding up to whatever age they want. I assume the mother is still producing the milk and it is not just a ploy by the kid to get a sook on the boobie?

Miller Jambo 60
Recently in the press there has been articles about women who breastfeed their kids until 5 or 6 and women who breastfeed other womens babies, is this morally right or wrong?

I dont mind my wife helping out but a queue outside is getting too much.

The WHO recommends breast feeding until 4, the world average is 4.5. If people want to breast feed their kids to 5 or 6 so what?

It's good stuff, better than cow's milk, better than formula. It's also free!

My youngest is coming up for 18months and still gets fed by my wife morning and evening, she has no plans to stop and why should she?

My oldest two stopped at about a year, they just started to refuse the breast, but if they're keen to continue, let them.

Cross feeding is fine too, it's not a new thing and was perfectly acceptable 100 years ago and is widely accepted outside of the west. Wet nursing is a perfectly valid occupation, it's our perverted sensibilities and prudishness that make it seem odd.

It's what breasts are for, yeah they're nice to look at and fun to play with, but they're not mine, so if I get a shot it's a privilege and a pleasure!

It's not a matter of morality at all, it's a symptom of the objectification of women and their bodies in particular, that's what's immoral!

pretty much says it all. if we're talking child abuse then i'd say mothers who choose not to breastfeed for at least 6 months, and ideally well beyond, are far more guilty. its pretty much proven beyond all doubt that it sets the child up for life, so to deny your child that is shocking IMO. i wouldn't even consider having kids with a woman who would choose to deny them that.

The WHO recommends breast feeding until 4,

Great rock band but didn't know they were childcare experts!

"Mama's got a squeezebox, she wears on her chest

& when Daddy gets home, she never gets no rest."

Oh, yes! They know and preach all about the boobie!

FWIW, I get weirded out if I see a kid older than about 3 (& less than 16) taking the tit. Sure it's not doing any physical harm but with modern diets, those kids are getting all they need via their pies and mash. Any kid of, say, 4/5 would be almost bound to take a teasing (bullying?) off class mates.

If they're nutritionally satisfied with their other food & drink, I wouldn't risk the psychological harm of the ****-taking they'd get.

My wife breastfed both our boys but I have to admit that feeding beyond about 2 years old seems to be more about the need of the mother than the child.

When a child reaches school age I think that it would creep me out a bit to learn of someone I knew doing so.

The WHO recommends breast feeding until 4, the world average is 4.5.

It does?

It is?

Can you giz a link, please? The only governmental sources I read on the subject recommended 2 years, with the suggestion that 4 years was "not unusual".

It does?

It is?

Can you giz a link, please? The only governmental sources I read on the subject recommended 2 years, with the suggestion that 4 years was "not unusual".

Ok, I can't find I either, I could be mistaken. The only recommendation I can find is exclusive breastfeeding to 6 months.

Thanks Uly ;)

From the WHO site:-

Exclusive breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond.

To enable mothers to establish and sustain exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, WHO and UNICEF recommend:

Initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of life

Exclusive breastfeeding – that is the infant only receives breastmilk without any additional food or drink, not even water

Breastfeeding on demand – that is as often as the child wants, day and night

No use of bottles, teats or pacifiers

Breastmilk is the natural first food for babies, it provides all the energy and nutrients that the infant needs for the first months of life, and it continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life.

A known Hearts fan who (his missus) recently had triplets once told me that the nurses/staff at the hospital were quite insistant on her breast feeding ??????????????????????????

The thought of feeding the three babies with a bottle tires me out never mind his missus doing it with the breast :eek:

Susie-Jambo-66

I know a women who breastfed her daughter up till she was about 6 and admitted she did it because she (the mother) enjoyed it.

Now thats wrong. :eek:

I know a women who breastfed her daughter up till she was about 6 and admitted she did it because she (the mother) enjoyed it.

Now thats wrong. :eek:

Ewwwww... bet she was a right goer tho.

Most hobo's bring their babies up on crisps and coke.

FACT!

My GF studying dietetics and the lecturer(who also works as a dietician) was telling them that when she visited one family the mother was giving her baby Irn Bru as she believed it gave the kid iron!!!

Would you/do you get jealous of your own baby sucking your gf's/wifes breasts? I found that statement weird. If your kid was turning on your gf/wife fair enough...but if that was the case your gf/wife should be locked up!!

Archived